Full size Ipad Pro used for Navionics, mounting options

Aug 14, 2011
Hunter 35.5 Legend PCYC Shediac, NB
I purchased the full size Apple Ipad Pro in the fall with the cellular option to be used this summer with the Navionics app. The app works fantastic so that a plus.
What type of case has anyone found to protect from the wet environment while sailing ? I was hoping to locate a case that could be attached to the pedestal with a mount such as Scanstrut or RailBlaza.

Has anyone found a workable solution ? I would like to have it available in the cockpit rather than just the cabin.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
My advice? Don't mount it.

There are really no good waterproof mounts that deliver 5V power.

The screen is very hard to read in sunlight.

If left in the sun the device overheats and shuts off until it cools.

Its a crazy theft target.

Net-net, the ipad is a great device to use down below, or casually on deck. But is a consumer electronics device. It is not a marine gear.

Last edited:
May 20, 2016
Clark San Juan 30 Blaine WA
Also my I-Pad has never Fallen off and with a Charger close it also stays charged and has very good tight Holds on it I think you will Love it as much as I do to keep the I-Pad Dry and Secure as well

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
I have that on my Ipad. The screen is not bright enough to see it in the sunlight. I have to view it below.

May 20, 2016
Clark San Juan 30 Blaine WA
I just Zoom on the screen and it is far enough back the sun doesn't bother it on mine Plus I have it for both sides if the sun does shine on it I move it to the other side Works great for me

Sailm8

Feb 21, 2008
Hunter 29.5 Punta Gorda
We have a 12v plug on the pedestal and a 6 foot cord so it stays charged. We use Navionics and really just get a compass course that I follow at the helm. Wife uses it to read and play games. When I need a course or need to check position she switches apps. If we are in unfamiliar waters I just rest it on the fold out table. I don't like to sail keeping my eyes glued to the plotter like a video game. My autopilot is unreliable so a hand streer 100% of the time. I keep a paper chart handy but have seldom needed it.

Sep 25, 2008
CS 30 Toronto
No sure why:
iPad pro around $800 to $1000 depending on option, + water proofing + mount.
Standard Horizon / Garmin (just a example) around $500 with waterproofing and part of the mount.

iPad whatever, not waterproof, can´t really see in direct sun.
Chart-plotters, waterproof (at least warranted to be), view-able in direct sunlight.

Not sure why anybody would do it. Just because you can is not financially good idea.
Don't get me wrong. I have Apple shares. Go do it.

Jul 1, 2014
Hunter 34 Seattle
I'm with Alex. I also love Apple products but to me this is like trying to fit the proverbial square peg in a round hole. All the research I did prior to getting my chart plotter indicated it can be done with a ipad or even a phone but there are compromises to be made. Getting a proper chart plotter allowed me to have it talk to my autopilot, have wind and sonar on the same device and as a bonus it's wireless so I can have a mirror image on the ipad in the cabin.

May 11, 2016
Alberg Alberg 30 Severna Park
This is a modern adaptation of the old "swing arm." It's from the Joy Factory for my iPad Mini, works fine. As jackdaw says, the sun light CAN BE an issue

Attachments

Sailm8

Feb 21, 2008
Hunter 29.5 Punta Gorda
As I said above I use an Ipad. I had a Garmin that went dead and I was going to spend the $600 to replace it about the time I was reading about the "new" nav programs for ipads. It really made sense to me to get hundreds of possible unrelated applications in a device than a single use product. I had a friend with and ipad and tried it out in the sun wearing polarized sunglasses and had no trouble seeing what I needed to see. The image improved if you rotate the screen. The self plotting feature is almost spooky the way it works. And I love to sit at home in the evening and play "what if" figuring out future routes and cruises. Another feature we really like is the ability to take pictures and paste them into Navionics. Really helps with harbor entrances and confusing markers for the next time we pass through.
When the going gets tough both the admiral and the ipad go below. Much like if you had a dedicated nav station below. I have back up, iphone, handheld gps and charts but so far reliability has not been a problem. A short coming with Navionics is it does not interface with Active Captain but I have that on another app.
I don't mean to be critical of those who still want a stand alone chartplotter but I can't see all that money for a single use device.

Jan 4, 2010
Farr 30 San Francisco
How important is navigation? There was a guy that crashed into Hawaii as he lost nav post trans pacific trip as his iPad was busy updating. A chart plotter has the benefit that it is always a chart plotter, it won't decide in the middle of something tricky that it wants to be a metronome or a phone.

Apr 11, 2010
Hunter 38 Whitehall MI
Have used an iPad running inavx for 5 or 6 years and have had no problems with glare, overheating. Although I have dodger and Bimini that provide shade and protection.

A low tech solution for protection is a ziplock bag. I've never actually needed one but keep on board just in case. Admittedly though we aren't sailing in raging storms or driving rain.

Aug 14, 2011
Thanks for all the advice, I really like the swing arm idea as that seems to fit my needs. This iPad is just an add-on to my existing Garmin chart plotter. The iPad I use for allot of other reasons and having Navionics was a bonus. Having a form of weather protection is just for personal security

JTulls

Dec 6, 2014
International 14 and J-Boat J80 San Diego
I keep mine in a lifeproof case and I also got the "lifejacket" for it so it will float if it goes overboard. So far, not having it hard-mounted has been fine. If you don't want to hard-mount with power (definitely easier to keep everything water tight that way) just keep the data off on the ipad (leave GPS on) and only turn the screen on when you want to take a peak -- that should greatly extend battery life. The Navionics charts are stored on the device so you don't need wifi or data to view them, just GPS to keep track of your position.

Aug 14, 2011
I keep mine in a lifeproof case and I also got the "lifejacket" for it so it will float if it goes overboard. So far, not having it hard-mounted has been fine. If you don't want to hard-mount with power (definitely easier to keep everything water tight that way) just keep the data off on the ipad (leave GPS on) and only turn the screen on when you want to take a peak -- that should greatly extend battery life. The Navionics charts are stored on the device so you don't need wifi or data to view them, just GPS to keep track of your position.
Did you find a lifeproof case for the Ipad Pro that is 12.9" ?

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
What type of case has anyone found to protect from the wet environment while sailing ?
I have my Raymarine (RM) chart plotter at the helm and Admiral has her iPad (also a repeater for RM chart plotter). She is a "back seat" navigator in shallow waters. "We are getting close to that shallow!"

Aye, Admiral but we are at high tide and that is 1 nm away.;)

I asked the RM tech about the wet environment for MFD helm display. He said it is the same as that iPad and iPhone!:confused:

He gave me the standard spec number (I forgot it now). I looked it up and it is NOT submergible but they were the same.
We have been in 2 - 40knt wind, horizontal blinding Rain storms. I couldn't see my RM display anyway. No problems.

We use the iPad as an anchor alarm, since the Admiral uses the iPad like a "Teddy bear" for peace of mind, so it stays with her.
Jim...

PS: I hear the new iPhone is water proof.