Full size Ipad Pro used for Navionics, mounting options

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Raymarine plotters are generally IPX6 and IPX7 rated. I was told directly by Apple tech support that they don't even apply for an IP rating for the current phones and iPads...

May 11, 2016
Hunter Passage 42 Jensen Beach
I use a Lifeproof Nude case on my iPad. And I run the Garmin BlueChart app. I don't have our iPads on WiFi only so I have never had it do updates when we come into a port. I have used it with a Sea Sucker mount that works great. I also have been trying other options also.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
I have my Raymarine (RM) chart plotter at the helm and Admiral has her iPad (also a repeater for RM chart plotter). She is a "back seat" navigator in shallow waters. "We are getting close to that shallow!"

Aye, Admiral but we are at high tide and that is 1 nm away.;)

I asked the RM tech about the wet environment for MFD helm display. He said it is the same as that iPad and iPhone!:confused:

He gave me the standard spec number (I forgot it now). I looked it up and it is NOT submergible but they were the same.
We have been in 2 - 40knt wind, horizontal blinding Rain storms. I couldn't see my RM display anyway. No problems.

We use the iPad as an anchor alarm, since the Admiral uses the iPad like a "Teddy bear" for peace of mind, so it stays with her.
Jim...

PS: I hear the new iPhone is water proof.
IPx6 is rates against jets of water (storm-blown spray and rain)
IPx7 is for 1 meter of solid immersion. That's a lot harder. Water pressure is a bitch.

Deck mounted gear really only needs IPx6. Unless you plan on rolling.

The iPhones from 8 and on are water resistant to 'some depth' I don't think they got an official IP rating. Nothing is waterproof. Rolex doesn't even claim that anymore.

Mr Fox

Aug 31, 2017
Marshall 22 Portland, ME
I’d say use the iPad in the cabin (movies look great on it!).

Take a look at a Samsung tab active 2. Ip68 certified. All ports are ruggedized so it’s water resistant even in its charging mount. The tablet itself can do 30 minutes at 5 feet deep and be ok. Ram makes all the mounts you could ever need. Can take higher temps than an iPad (it will shut down on a hot day in direct sun after a couple hours). Works all day if it has partial shade. Navionics works great on it, does course up correctly, and you can use WiFi at the slip to make sure you have the latest charts, weather and tide information, or pair it to your phone.

It won’t ever decide to run an update on its own and lose functionality (unless you set it to do that but why would you).

The charging mount releases in 1 second so you stow it below, so it’s not a magnet for sticky fingers.

Good simple setup for coastal cruising (obviously not an offshore solution) and it’s cheaper than an iPad.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
@MikeHoncho that looks like a good find. I would be concerned about the holding power in a rough sea state. Perhaps when the water gets rough the tablet and holder gets stowed below.

While still not practical in a real blow, the Ram holder has more contact points with the tablet. What feels like strong springs. It looks to me a bit more secure. I have acquired one and will be installing it next week. I'll let you know how it goes after I have sailed with it for a couple of times.

Ram Mount X-Grip III Universal Clamping Cradle for 10-Inch Large Tablets (RAMHOLUN9U

Mr Fox

Aug 31, 2017
Marshall 22 Portland, ME
I have that same mount for the HD movie tablet we have, it's VERY secure, excellent product.

Jul 5, 2017
Hunter 44DS Cape Coral
I have to mount it on the side of the helm with a clamp. How is yours going to be mounted?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
@Jack Barnes I purchased a couple of Mantus clamps.

It’s prepared to receive the Ram ball and a ram clamp. You can mount them every which way. I liked the metal clamp and design. They come in size to fit the SS tube you have.

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
@MikeHoncho that looks like a good find. I would be concerned about the holding power in a rough sea state. Perhaps when the water gets rough the tablet and holder gets stowed below.

While still not practical in a real blow, the Ram holder has more contact points with the tablet. What feels like strong springs. It looks to me a bit more secure. I have acquired one and will be installing it next week. I'll let you know how it goes after I have sailed with it for a couple of times.

Ram Mount X-Grip III Universal Clamping Cradle for 10-Inch Large Tablets (RAMHOLUN9U

Agree

Mr Fox

Aug 31, 2017
Marshall 22 Portland, ME
That’s a good point- I use mine for casual coastal sails in good weather- so I have no experience with the ram hardware in in rough water.

The ram base does seem to grip the tablet quite well, but you should take a look at it and see if it feels sturdy enough for you.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
Im going to print out a plate to insert magnets in and glue it onto the base for a secondary means to keep it in place. I've been sailing in 15+ knots all day and it isn't moving but if its hit it will come off as it is.

Jul 5, 2017
Hunter 44DS Cape Coral
Our boat is in Annapolis and we are in Florida. Its a 2004 hunter 44DS

Does anyone know the size of the rails on the right and left of the chart plotter? Looks like the Mantus rail clamp will work for mounting the Ipad. Thanks.