Fuel Vacuum Gauge

Aug 21, 2017
Sunfish Thistle NY
Here's the situation. A vacuum gauge is installed in the fuel output hose immediately after the primary fuel filter. It is located between the primary fuel filter and the secondary filter. Can this vacuum gauge determine if in addition to the primary fuel filter, the secondary fuel filter or if both are nearly clogged?

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Concur with James that the answer is no. To explain it differently - Any restriction in the secondary filter reduces the flow through that filter. That wouldn’t cause any extra suction in the line between the filters. The only vacuum between the filters would be attributed to restriction in the primary filter.

• Helpful

JamesG161

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
A vacuum gauge is installed in the fuel output hose
That is a indicator of "clogging" only if you read it at approximately the same engine conditions such as...
1) RPM
2) Engine Temperature
3) Fuel tank level
4) Fuel pump health

However you can use a vacuum gauge to monitor the slow clogging of a fuel filter, over a long time.

If your gauge changes fast, you have a serious problem.
Jim...

PS: Note the Yellow band
306967.jpg

PSS: the need for a second filter is rare on most modern marine diesels

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
WOW ! You guys operate at a much higher level than my pay scale.

I find the fuel flow rate is so low on a Yanmar 2GM20F, I forget all of the viscosity, engine loading, and lift pump details and see that when the engine is running, the vacuum is always a big goose egg (as far as the gauge will show).

1659370544788.png

The filter inlet isolation valve must be throttled in quite a bit before a vacuum starts to form.

And as everyone else says, the condition of the secondary filter does not affect the reading on the the vacuum gauge. To determine the condition of the filter you are concerned with, a vacuum gauge must be installed "downstream" of that particular gauge.

Last edited:

JamesG161

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
You guys operate at a much higher level than my pay scale.
Not really, but I do like my Racor Vacuum gauge[ pict above] that has a marker or set point to see changes.

VAcGuage.jpeg
mine.
Jim...

Jan 4, 2006
Well, obviously we travel in different financial circles.

All I could afford was this cheap gauge without the marker.

1659381323470.png

However, it IS a compound gauge. Unfortunately, not many people are impressed with that fact :wahwah:.

jssailem

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I like the new gauge I installed on my new filter and pump fuel polishing equipment.
2D6C09BD-9308-4D1C-99CD-48DC0B170FF9.jpeg

Jan 4, 2006
I like the new gauge I installed on my new filter and pump fuel polishing equipment.
Yeah, yeah. Very pretty :clap: !

But of far greater interest, what is the blue device with the long piece of flat bar attached to it ? Looks interesting.

• Wow

JamesG161

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Ya figure he's a powerboater posing as a sailboater
Please note the @jssailem did not deny what I said.

Diesel mechanic to John's rescue on Aug 2nd. :pray::pray:

Praying for John's Diesel engine now.
Jim...

PS: John is praying for mine that has not been run in 18 months.

Jan 4, 2006
Praying for John's Diesel engine now.
OMG I had not realized John's diesel had passed . I'll light a candle for it this Sunday :pray: . I hope the diesel witch doctor can breath some life back into it without John passing out from the price of repairs.

PS: John is praying for mine that has not been run in 18 months.
What seems to be the problem with yours ? Is there a pox on diesel engines now ? First Monkeypox, now Dieselpox. Oh, the humanity of it all :doh: !

Jan 4, 2006
Holy Crap ! I just don't get out enough. Somehow I had completely missed your thread over teh last few years. My condolances on what must have been and still is a complete heart breaker. I wish you the best of luck in getting back on the water as soon as possible.

JamesG161

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Praying for John's Diesel engine now.[:thumbsdown:]
I just talked with @jssailem and there no good news to report for his engine:mad:

On to the next issues of Sailing...
Jim...

PS: John said he felt like he just had a "Gut Punch" and now browsing for a new engine.
PSS: At least he got his transmission off the boat with a smile.
JohnTransmission.jpeg

Last edited:

JamesG161

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Then I saw the lines at the end of the boom
I said the same to him about using his Boom to make that lift.

I saw a youtube on fixing his Perkins Marine Diesel 4107 that the transmission weighs ≈100 lbs

John said his weighs ≈220 lbs.
I said good idea with Boom Lift, but not so good where all that weight pushes on his mast.

His smiles for success without loosing more of his hair.:facepalm:
Jim...

PS: I am Sure John will post more on his dilemma.
PSS: My engine has not been turned over now for 1.5 hrs YEARS so hopefully I will bump start it next week to make sure oil is pumping.

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2011
Ericson 26-2 San Pedro, CA
I said the same to him about using his Boom to make that lift.

I saw a youtube on fixing his Perkins Marine Diesel 4107 that the transmission weighs ≈100 lbs

John said his weighs ≈220 lbs.
I said good idea with Boom Lift, but not so good where all that weight pushes on his mast.

His smiles for success without loosing more of his hair.:facepalm:
Jim...

PS: I am Sure John will post more on his dilemma.
PSS: My engine has not been turned over now for 1.5 hrs so hopefully I will bump start it next week to make sure oil is pumping.
I prefer this setup for lifting out my engine.

Engine hoist.jpg