"Free boat " reflexsions, and realizations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim R.

May 27, 2004
Caliber 40 Long Range Cruiser Portland, Maine
Free Headmate

Patrick, a friend of mine is looking for someone to give a working WC Headmate to. You will need to pay shipping but that should be cheaper than the $150 for a new one. I would go for the Raritan PHII myself but the headmate is a good cheap way to get started on a new head. http://centerboard.org/Classifieds.htm Tim R.

Tim R.

May 27, 2004
Caliber 40 Long Range Cruiser Portland, Maine
Free Headmate

Patrick, a friend of mine is looking for someone to give a working WC Headmate to. You will need to pay shipping but that should be cheaper than the $150 for a new one. I would go for the Raritan PHII myself but the headmate is a good cheap way to get started on a new head. http://centerboard.org/Classifieds.htm Tim R.

Jul 1, 1998
Hunter Legend 35 Poulsbo/Semiahmoo WA
Marelon valves = no electrolysis

One really good thing about Marelon valves is there is no worry about electrolysis. Also, no need for grounding wires and protection from lightning. Something to consider. My friends C&C 36 almost sank because a valve broke off due to electrolysis - and, he was a mechanical engineer (should have known better!), and he had been boating for over 40 years. But stuff happens. My boat has had Marelon valves for about 18 years and I've only replaced one (under the galley sink) in all that time. The one that was removed I tried to break it with a sledge hammer and only put a scratch on it. I think Stu is correct that the handle design was beefed up several years back. But then that's a much better problem than some other part of it breaking. The manufacturer does mention that they require regular lubrication which, I am sure, everybody does!

Jul 1, 1998
Hunter Legend 35 Poulsbo/Semiahmoo WA
Marelon valves = no electrolysis

One really good thing about Marelon valves is there is no worry about electrolysis. Also, no need for grounding wires and protection from lightning. Something to consider. My friends C&C 36 almost sank because a valve broke off due to electrolysis - and, he was a mechanical engineer (should have known better!), and he had been boating for over 40 years. But stuff happens. My boat has had Marelon valves for about 18 years and I've only replaced one (under the galley sink) in all that time. The one that was removed I tried to break it with a sledge hammer and only put a scratch on it. I think Stu is correct that the handle design was beefed up several years back. But then that's a much better problem than some other part of it breaking. The manufacturer does mention that they require regular lubrication which, I am sure, everybody does!

Jul 24, 2006
Legnos, Starwind, Regal Mystic 30 cutter, 22 trailer sailor, bow rider NEW PORT RICHEY, FL
thanks Tim

i emailed him regarding the free head. We'll see. thanks again patrick p.s. typeing with one hand cuz i just tried to cut off the tip of mt left ring finger with my jigsaw-ouch. Not working on the boat-laying laminate flooring in my girlfriends house.

Jul 24, 2006
Legnos, Starwind, Regal Mystic 30 cutter, 22 trailer sailor, bow rider NEW PORT RICHEY, FL
thanks Tim

i emailed him regarding the free head. We'll see. thanks again patrick p.s. typeing with one hand cuz i just tried to cut off the tip of mt left ring finger with my jigsaw-ouch. Not working on the boat-laying laminate flooring in my girlfriends house.

May 21, 2004
Hunter 31_83-87 Milwaukee South Shore Yacht Club
Been 10 percent of the way there

Our first boat, a 1976 Clipper Marine 26, had been abandoned in a Lake Geneva boatyard for over 2 years when we first saw it. There was about 4 inches of rain water in the salon (it was on a trailer). My father-in-law thought it would be a waste of money although he did concede that "it holds water well so the bottom probably doesn't leak". The marina took $2000 for it so we named her "Too Grand" and went to work. After the winter we had a much nicer boat (my wife wanted to rename her "Too Grand per year). I should mention that her original name was "Hesperus" as in "The Wreck of...". My father-in-law thought it a more fitting name. If I included my labor, we probably lost money when we sold it 15 years later for $4000. But we sure had a lot of fun along the way. Our daughters grew from 8 and 13 years old to 23 and 28 years old on that boat. It was only their marriages that finally forced us to buy a larger (31 foot) boat. That is when we got into Hunters and ended up on this forum. I greatly appreciate the path that Sailorman is embarqing on. As long as you break it up into many small projects that appear do-able, the whole won't overwhelm you. Good Luck. Enjoy.

May 21, 2004
Hunter 31_83-87 Milwaukee South Shore Yacht Club
Been 10 percent of the way there

Our first boat, a 1976 Clipper Marine 26, had been abandoned in a Lake Geneva boatyard for over 2 years when we first saw it. There was about 4 inches of rain water in the salon (it was on a trailer). My father-in-law thought it would be a waste of money although he did concede that "it holds water well so the bottom probably doesn't leak". The marina took $2000 for it so we named her "Too Grand" and went to work. After the winter we had a much nicer boat (my wife wanted to rename her "Too Grand per year). I should mention that her original name was "Hesperus" as in "The Wreck of...". My father-in-law thought it a more fitting name. If I included my labor, we probably lost money when we sold it 15 years later for $4000. But we sure had a lot of fun along the way. Our daughters grew from 8 and 13 years old to 23 and 28 years old on that boat. It was only their marriages that finally forced us to buy a larger (31 foot) boat. That is when we got into Hunters and ended up on this forum. I greatly appreciate the path that Sailorman is embarqing on. As long as you break it up into many small projects that appear do-able, the whole won't overwhelm you. Good Luck. Enjoy.

Jul 24, 2006
so whats the verdict?

are the new marlon valves improved, or are the malon handle/stem the good thing still? Or I dunno. Patrick

Jul 24, 2006
so whats the verdict?

are the new marlon valves improved, or are the malon handle/stem the good thing still? Or I dunno. Patrick

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
The blasted shaft sheared . It they would use 316L

stainless steel it would never fail . Further if they recommend frequent lubrication they could install a grease fitting.

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
The blasted shaft sheared . It they would use 316L

stainless steel it would never fail . Further if they recommend frequent lubrication they could install a grease fitting.

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 28.5 Tolchester, MD
Marelon

I've had the same result in breaking off a handle without warning on a 1-1/2" head discharge valve; less than three seasons old when it broke. I've used only bronze ball valves with stainless steel ball and teflon valve seats ever since. They wouldn't stand behind the product, the marina store wouldn't stand behind it and I wouldn't take one if you paid me. Now they cost MORE than the bronze/ stainless versions!

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 28.5 Tolchester, MD
Marelon

I've had the same result in breaking off a handle without warning on a 1-1/2" head discharge valve; less than three seasons old when it broke. I've used only bronze ball valves with stainless steel ball and teflon valve seats ever since. They wouldn't stand behind the product, the marina store wouldn't stand behind it and I wouldn't take one if you paid me. Now they cost MORE than the bronze/ stainless versions!

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
The verdict..

Quote: "so whats the verdict? are the new marlon valves improved, or are the malon handle/stem the good thing still? Or I dunno. Patrick" When I called tech support in the spring they acted as if they had never heard of this problem and could not conclusively tell me if the design of the valve had been improved. My verdict, after this conversation, was that I went out and bought Groco bronze seacocks. I'm actually in the process of writing a photo based "how to" on replacing my seacocks, not yet finished, but what is finished is on line here if you care to read about it: http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/replacing_thruhulls Wow and I thought perhaps I had a bad lot of Marelon valves but it seems I'm NOT the only one who ahs had these problem. I guess I'm not crazy after all!!

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
The verdict..

Quote: "so whats the verdict? are the new marlon valves improved, or are the malon handle/stem the good thing still? Or I dunno. Patrick" When I called tech support in the spring they acted as if they had never heard of this problem and could not conclusively tell me if the design of the valve had been improved. My verdict, after this conversation, was that I went out and bought Groco bronze seacocks. I'm actually in the process of writing a photo based "how to" on replacing my seacocks, not yet finished, but what is finished is on line here if you care to read about it: http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/replacing_thruhulls Wow and I thought perhaps I had a bad lot of Marelon valves but it seems I'm NOT the only one who ahs had these problem. I guess I'm not crazy after all!!

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
It would be simple for Forespar to test the

valves for strength. But at the price they ask they should be bullet proof. The shaft should be strong enough to take all the force that a man could apply without a piece of pipe. The most important function of a valve is to control the flow of water always!

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
It would be simple for Forespar to test the

valves for strength. But at the price they ask they should be bullet proof. The shaft should be strong enough to take all the force that a man could apply without a piece of pipe. The most important function of a valve is to control the flow of water always!

Dec 8, 2007
Irwin 41 CC Ketch LaConner WA
Patrick

I wish I could be as organized as Mr. Nantz, you are a better man then I if you can. I propose to you one modification to his fine system. I suggest dropping one place holder off every thing you buy before recording it in your log. You will remain happier through out your indever as you look back on your expences. Happy New Year Patrick PS : Im going all Titainium if possibal

Dec 8, 2007
Irwin 41 CC Ketch LaConner WA
Patrick

I wish I could be as organized as Mr. Nantz, you are a better man then I if you can. I propose to you one modification to his fine system. I suggest dropping one place holder off every thing you buy before recording it in your log. You will remain happier through out your indever as you look back on your expences. Happy New Year Patrick PS : Im going all Titainium if possibal

Status
Not open for further replies.