"Free boat " reflexsions, and realizations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 24, 2006
Legnos, Starwind, Regal Mystic 30 cutter, 22 trailer sailor, bow rider NEW PORT RICHEY, FL
New Year and time to reflect on the past, contemplate the future. Why did I undertake such a major project. Risk life and limb on transporting a vessel with more than questionable seaworthyness, for days and weeks,and most certainly months and months of exhausting work? Stricktly and honestly, for selfish personal indulgence. As someone on this post pointed out-"it is YOUR dream, not anyone elses." My children are interested, and have spent some time helping me, but, i don't push them. Not with tearring out fiberglass and rotten wood. Not too many would enjoy such horrors. It has always been my dream to sail away. To leave the encumbrances of life on terraferma, and live the life of a careless gypsy of the sea. As i get older (48 in two weeks) the dream has been fading, and a feeling of desperation had settled in. Reality-not enough money, too many responsibilities, kids, house, bills, etc. as well as physical limitations have clouded the dream. Set out on a desperate mission to attain a vessel towitch to embarke on this dream i finally found one. Decrepid, terribly smelly, almost total wreck. It is still the tool of my dream. Time, and more time will tell. I must not loose sight of the dream. It is that that drives me, allowed me to transport it. After working on it for 4 days i realize it could have turned out far the worst. Trying to remove the flange bolt on the drive shaft-the shaft turned and the previously dry gland started leaking a fair amount of sea water. Also, one of the thru hulls-above the waterline is loose as a goose, another through hull is seaping around the base, and almost all the plywood bulkheads were rotten. Must have been destiny that the boat and i made it ( some have called it stupid luck) whatever. I do thank all for there honest opinions on such an undertaking. I now have less arrogance in my endeavor. The boat was really bad! But now(except today cuz i am tired and sore) i will slowely build the dream. Thanks to all. I hope everyone out there has a wonderful new year and has the chance to fullfill there dreams and desires. Patrick

Jul 24, 2006
Legnos, Starwind, Regal Mystic 30 cutter, 22 trailer sailor, bow rider NEW PORT RICHEY, FL
New Year and time to reflect on the past, contemplate the future. Why did I undertake such a major project. Risk life and limb on transporting a vessel with more than questionable seaworthyness, for days and weeks,and most certainly months and months of exhausting work? Stricktly and honestly, for selfish personal indulgence. As someone on this post pointed out-"it is YOUR dream, not anyone elses." My children are interested, and have spent some time helping me, but, i don't push them. Not with tearring out fiberglass and rotten wood. Not too many would enjoy such horrors. It has always been my dream to sail away. To leave the encumbrances of life on terraferma, and live the life of a careless gypsy of the sea. As i get older (48 in two weeks) the dream has been fading, and a feeling of desperation had settled in. Reality-not enough money, too many responsibilities, kids, house, bills, etc. as well as physical limitations have clouded the dream. Set out on a desperate mission to attain a vessel towitch to embarke on this dream i finally found one. Decrepid, terribly smelly, almost total wreck. It is still the tool of my dream. Time, and more time will tell. I must not loose sight of the dream. It is that that drives me, allowed me to transport it. After working on it for 4 days i realize it could have turned out far the worst. Trying to remove the flange bolt on the drive shaft-the shaft turned and the previously dry gland started leaking a fair amount of sea water. Also, one of the thru hulls-above the waterline is loose as a goose, another through hull is seaping around the base, and almost all the plywood bulkheads were rotten. Must have been destiny that the boat and i made it ( some have called it stupid luck) whatever. I do thank all for there honest opinions on such an undertaking. I now have less arrogance in my endeavor. The boat was really bad! But now(except today cuz i am tired and sore) i will slowely build the dream. Thanks to all. I hope everyone out there has a wonderful new year and has the chance to fullfill there dreams and desires. Patrick

Jun 12, 2004
Allied Mistress 39 Ketch Kemah,Tx.
Only one option.

If you dive or know a diver, there are several options, but all of them are only temporary fixes. There is only one real option.....Haul out the boat and repair all the leaks. Then worry about everything else. Tony B

Jun 12, 2004
Only one option.

If you dive or know a diver, there are several options, but all of them are only temporary fixes. There is only one real option.....Haul out the boat and repair all the leaks. Then worry about everything else. Tony B

Jim

May 21, 2007
Catalina 36 MK II NJ
I wish you all the best....

I believe you will rebuild your new boat into a very nice cruiser. It is just time and money from here on out. Good luck and please keep us posted.

Jim

May 21, 2007
Catalina 36 MK II NJ
I wish you all the best....

I believe you will rebuild your new boat into a very nice cruiser. It is just time and money from here on out. Good luck and please keep us posted.

C

Capt Ron;-)

Hi Tony!

1,200 nm? methinks I logged 925 Ft Meyers to Galveston, includes two gales and winding round the rigs and cable-layine seismic ships; tacked none tho~ Splashzone will take care of the underwater leaks round your thru-hull fittings, and anywhere else, but hauling is best. Better get liablity. If whe goes down the EPA fines are enormous! Happy New Year Tony and all SBO mates!

C

Capt Ron;-)

Hi Tony!

1,200 nm? methinks I logged 925 Ft Meyers to Galveston, includes two gales and winding round the rigs and cable-layine seismic ships; tacked none tho~ Splashzone will take care of the underwater leaks round your thru-hull fittings, and anywhere else, but hauling is best. Better get liablity. If whe goes down the EPA fines are enormous! Happy New Year Tony and all SBO mates!

Jun 12, 2004
Hi Ron

Happy New Year to you too and all else on here. Capt. Ron...925nm is probably about right. I'm trying to remember, but I think Tampa Bay to Galveston Bay was about 750 - 800nm as the crow flies. But heck, we aint flying crows. Dont know what you mean with the "1200nm". When i made reference to 1200 miles in previous posts, they were statute miles in my car from Rockport, Tx to Dunedin, Fl. Those seismic boats are really a PITA. Sometimes they are dragging a mile of cable behind them. Patrick has a ton of work ahead of him. My suggestion would be to list as many projects as possible. Then prioritise them. The priorities will constantly change as time and money are available. Some projects are mostly time and some are mostly money. Tony B

Jun 12, 2004
Hi Ron

Happy New Year to you too and all else on here. Capt. Ron...925nm is probably about right. I'm trying to remember, but I think Tampa Bay to Galveston Bay was about 750 - 800nm as the crow flies. But heck, we aint flying crows. Dont know what you mean with the "1200nm". When i made reference to 1200 miles in previous posts, they were statute miles in my car from Rockport, Tx to Dunedin, Fl. Those seismic boats are really a PITA. Sometimes they are dragging a mile of cable behind them. Patrick has a ton of work ahead of him. My suggestion would be to list as many projects as possible. Then prioritise them. The priorities will constantly change as time and money are available. Some projects are mostly time and some are mostly money. Tony B

Jul 24, 2006
thanks Ron

have sent an email request to splash zone mfg for availability. Thanks. was also thinking of tying a line(halyard) to a tree and winching the boat over to repair-remove and glass over- the thru hulls. After proper bulkheads installed of coarse.

Jul 24, 2006
thanks Ron

have sent an email request to splash zone mfg for availability. Thanks. was also thinking of tying a line(halyard) to a tree and winching the boat over to repair-remove and glass over- the thru hulls. After proper bulkheads installed of coarse.

Jun 12, 2004
Splash Zone

Splash Zone is manufactured by Carboline Paint. We use it quite often in the offshore oil industry. Usually not on anything critical though. Im sure it will work to stop you leaks, but keep in mind that it is not a magic bullet. Look it up on carboline.com. They will tell you where the closest place to purchase it is located. Also their website will give you same info. Tony B

Jun 12, 2004
Splash Zone

Splash Zone is manufactured by Carboline Paint. We use it quite often in the offshore oil industry. Usually not on anything critical though. Im sure it will work to stop you leaks, but keep in mind that it is not a magic bullet. Look it up on carboline.com. They will tell you where the closest place to purchase it is located. Also their website will give you same info. Tony B

C

Capt Ron;-)

Free haul

There are places, New Zealand is loaded with 'em, and we have one in Sausalito, where you can run the yacht in on high tide, tie her up to pilings then work on her at low tides. Done it. NOt the best but cannot beat the price. Another method, you sound organized, is to tald to the yard foreman, and if sloooow he can give an 'extended' noon-hang. Maybe an overnighter in the slings whence you can work all night on the fittings et al for cheap with power, water etc. Just some ideas, but you do not wnat her to go down at any cost! You will have to pay to refloat, dispose, fines for leaking fuel a huge can 'o worms nowadays that you don't even wanna think about. Cheers & good luck!

C

Capt Ron;-)

Free haul

There are places, New Zealand is loaded with 'em, and we have one in Sausalito, where you can run the yacht in on high tide, tie her up to pilings then work on her at low tides. Done it. NOt the best but cannot beat the price. Another method, you sound organized, is to tald to the yard foreman, and if sloooow he can give an 'extended' noon-hang. Maybe an overnighter in the slings whence you can work all night on the fittings et al for cheap with power, water etc. Just some ideas, but you do not wnat her to go down at any cost! You will have to pay to refloat, dispose, fines for leaking fuel a huge can 'o worms nowadays that you don't even wanna think about. Cheers & good luck!

S

Scott

I've said critical things about you ...

and I will also say that if you don't take care of yourself, nobody is going to do it for you. I was at first under the mistaken impression that you had kids that were younger and needed more elemental attention from you. It now seems that they are at an age where they can learn a great deal about how to approach life from you and this undertaking may be a great thing for both you and them. It isn't reasonable to expect them to want to participate fully. But they will learn something by witnessing your energy and passion for pursuing something that you want. The best thing is that it is an honest and healthy endeavor and if they see the joyfullness in accomplishing something that is wholesome, it will impact them more than you think. Be sure to let them see your passion for this project and don't worry that it may not be for them. It's your perseverence and ability to tackle something hard that they will learn about. That's more important than just showing them a good time. Kids are resilient and they absorb a lot more than you think. When they see a positive attitude about hard work and a difficult task, there ain't nothing wrong with that! There's nothing wrong with having this feeling of desperation and your current dream may not be what you ultimately set out for, but you won't ever know by sitting on the sidelines and being paralyzed by complications. I say good for you for putting the doubts behind you and jumping forward no matter how irrational it may seem to others. I can better understand the circumstance under which you got the boat and respect your desire not to take unnecessary advantage over an old man who is down on his luck. Charity works in both directions and I'm sure you worked that situation out in your own way that made you feel satisfied with the outcome. Only you can know what makes an honest transaction in this case. So now you have a boat and the job looms more difficult that you first thought. It's only natural to have a great amount of energy at the very beginning only to feel overwhelmed after your energy is spent. You made a great start, so now it's time to re-group and get energized again. There is a lot of interest in this forum because it is a reflection of what so many of us have felt all along. You just happen to be more open in front of all of us about what your dreams are and what you are going thru. That in itself is a great quality to share with your kids. You'll learn a lot from the people in here, and your kids will learn a lot about life from you. I think this is a great project to share with them if they get to enjoy it at their own pace. They will experience some highs and lows with you. Make sure they get to see all of it as a good experience. Your attitude so far has been great! Good luck and keep us up-to-date! :)

S

Scott

I've said critical things about you ...

and I will also say that if you don't take care of yourself, nobody is going to do it for you. I was at first under the mistaken impression that you had kids that were younger and needed more elemental attention from you. It now seems that they are at an age where they can learn a great deal about how to approach life from you and this undertaking may be a great thing for both you and them. It isn't reasonable to expect them to want to participate fully. But they will learn something by witnessing your energy and passion for pursuing something that you want. The best thing is that it is an honest and healthy endeavor and if they see the joyfullness in accomplishing something that is wholesome, it will impact them more than you think. Be sure to let them see your passion for this project and don't worry that it may not be for them. It's your perseverence and ability to tackle something hard that they will learn about. That's more important than just showing them a good time. Kids are resilient and they absorb a lot more than you think. When they see a positive attitude about hard work and a difficult task, there ain't nothing wrong with that! There's nothing wrong with having this feeling of desperation and your current dream may not be what you ultimately set out for, but you won't ever know by sitting on the sidelines and being paralyzed by complications. I say good for you for putting the doubts behind you and jumping forward no matter how irrational it may seem to others. I can better understand the circumstance under which you got the boat and respect your desire not to take unnecessary advantage over an old man who is down on his luck. Charity works in both directions and I'm sure you worked that situation out in your own way that made you feel satisfied with the outcome. Only you can know what makes an honest transaction in this case. So now you have a boat and the job looms more difficult that you first thought. It's only natural to have a great amount of energy at the very beginning only to feel overwhelmed after your energy is spent. You made a great start, so now it's time to re-group and get energized again. There is a lot of interest in this forum because it is a reflection of what so many of us have felt all along. You just happen to be more open in front of all of us about what your dreams are and what you are going thru. That in itself is a great quality to share with your kids. You'll learn a lot from the people in here, and your kids will learn a lot about life from you. I think this is a great project to share with them if they get to enjoy it at their own pace. They will experience some highs and lows with you. Make sure they get to see all of it as a good experience. Your attitude so far has been great! Good luck and keep us up-to-date! :)

Jul 24, 2006
thanks Scott

thanks for the reflection on the kids. I was hpeing the 22yo would get more interested...in something! No job, no ambition. He has said he would like to hang-out, but hasn't made any attempt. Only to come around on his birthday and holidays for his handout.#. The 16yo has'nt even seen the boat yet, but the 14yo has come with me several times to help out and mostly to fish his dinghy that i borrowed. Good kids all in all. Thanks again for expanding on my brief reflections about my dream and situation. ou are very insiteful. Patrick

Jul 24, 2006
thanks Scott

thanks for the reflection on the kids. I was hpeing the 22yo would get more interested...in something! No job, no ambition. He has said he would like to hang-out, but hasn't made any attempt. Only to come around on his birthday and holidays for his handout.#. The 16yo has'nt even seen the boat yet, but the 14yo has come with me several times to help out and mostly to fish his dinghy that i borrowed. Good kids all in all. Thanks again for expanding on my brief reflections about my dream and situation. ou are very insiteful. Patrick

Status
Not open for further replies.