Forum questions, comments, and complaints

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
It doesn't look like you can use that forum to pAll the other fora have a dark blue box in the upper right area, however.
It doesn't look like you can use that forum to post a new thread. All the other fora have a dark blue box in the upper right area, however.
Fora. Now that's a pluralized word I wouldn'ta thought to use. Well done my child. Well done.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
All Discussions is a read-only forum. It's a compilation of all the other content from all the other forums. So to post, go to the forum you want to post in, then look for the big blue button named Post New Thread in the upper right.
That easy, eh?:eek::biggrin::biggrin::banghead:

OK, thanks again for everything.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
All Discussions is a read-only forum. It's a compilation of all the other content from all the other forums. So to post, go to the forum you want to post in, then look for the big blue button named Post New Thread in the upper right.
1. The new "all discussions" forum (unlike the previous AD forum) refuses to show me any posts until I select the fora I wish to follow. How do I know which ones to rule out? I see interesting posts in all fora.. Nor was the previous AD forum read only...but now (assuming that I do manage to figure out how to sell all fora), if see something to which I'd like to contribute, I'll have to leave AD and move to that forum. Some thing can turn out to be more effort than they're worth, Phil!

And while I have the floor...Everyone seems to be able to see all the posts in the thread "Possible to clean under v-berth tank..." in the plumbing and sani forum, but they're posting as Private messages.

(edit) I was wrong, that conversation isn't in the P&S forum it's all PMs...dunno how many of participants are able to see them, though. And so is every other conversion I'm in.. EVERYTHING is now saved in my PM file, none of it in any forum.

I wouldn't have your job right now for ANY salary!

Last edited:

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
Hi Peggie. "Conversations" are just like our old Private Messages and they can only be viewed by you and the person you sent it to. It's not a forum post.

I don't believe you could post a new thread from All Forums in the old software, either. It worked pretty much the same way this does, it's kind of a "view only" forum and when you click into a thread it takes you to the forum where it was originally posted.

So far as I can tell, there isn't any thread called "Possible to clean under v-berth." That is a "conversation" (Privates Message) you are having with one or more people. Not sure who started it or why but it is not public, and not a forum post.

To start a thread, all you do is click this button: Screen Shot 2015-10-08 at 8.03.19 PM.png

To reply to a post, click this immediately below the post you want to reply to: Screen Shot 2015-10-08 at 8.04.39 PM.png

It's that simple.

My job has been fine this week. This forum software is not buggy and is far more stable than VB ever was. It's also much more intuitive and easier to use than VB. You just have to take the time to learn where the few necessary buttons are.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
"Conversations" are just like our old Private Messages and they can only be viewed by you and the person you sent it to. It's not a forum post."

Was it possible in the old PMs to have a public conversation? 'Cuz people are jumping into this one.

I don't believe you could post a new thread from All Forums in the old software, either. It worked pretty much the same way this does, it's kind of a "view only" forum and when you click into a thread it takes you to the forum where it was originally posted.

I stand corrected...it was read only. But it didn't require selecting which fora to include.

So far as I can tell, there isn't any thread called "Possible to clean under v-berth." That is a "conversation" (Privates Message) you are having with one or more people. Not sure who started it or why but it is not public, and not a forum post.

I THINK he may have PM'd me...I didn't realize it was a PM...replied...then posts from Steve Dion and Kloudie began showing up. And ALL of us are as baffled as I am that the "conversation" is a PM

This forum software is not buggy and is far more stable than VB ever was. It's also much more intuitive and easier to use than VB. You just have to take the time to learn where the few necessary buttons are.

Learning curves aren't as easy for me climb as they used to be...

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
Was it possible in the old PMs to have a public conversation? 'Cuz people are jumping into this one.
LOL... I don;t know for sure. :) But I am about to post a new thread regarding some changes I made to (hopefully) make this part of the software more clear. I think the terminology is confusing, as well as the group aspect of it.

I stand corrected...it was read only. But it didn't require selecting which fora to include.
This setup is a little bit of a hack, to tell you the truth. Remember when you clicked that link to "activate" All Forums? What that click does is subscribe you to all of them. So, while you _can_ unsubscribe or modify the forum list, you don't have to. It's done for you before you ever see the forum. If you want I can delete all of your selections, which will let you click that link to activate it again, thus subscribing you to everything.

Learning curves aren't as easy for me climb as they used to be...
Yeah, this is a universal truth! :plus:

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Found the place! How can I mark read posts? The old software used to do it automatically; have looked for a change in settings but have not found one for marking posts once they have been read.

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
I think I have this figured out. Threads should automatically drop the bold designation (which means unread) once you click into them. However, I added a little plugin that lets you mark threads as read form the forum menu. Just put your cursor over the title and you'll see the link.

Screen Shot 2015-10-09 at 11.11.34 AM.png

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
Phil,
I thought I posted this idea earlier today but I must have done something wrong because I can't find it. So, again, you changed the "Conversations" to "Private Messages" Excellent! Now, how about changing "Leave Private Messages" to "Delete Private Messages" I think it would be more clear- at least to me.

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
Yes! Thanks Rich, I missed that one... and I may have missed a couple of the "conversation" labels too. If so please let me know.

I think their nomenclature around PM's the weakest part of this package.

Sep 23, 2009
O'Day 34-At Last Rock Hall, Md
Glad all discusion forum is back but what happened to the icon that indicates that attachments, pics are on the thread? I am much more interested in a thread if there is an illustration of the topic.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
I guess I meant threads. I see the link, does it mean we have to manually mark each thread as read? Will I be able to still see the thread or once it is marked as read will it no longer show? I see I have 305 New Posts; will that keep on growing until I mark them read? I'll keep on playing around in the forum until I find a system that will work for me; it is just that before I could go down the list and easily identify which ones I had read and so far now I have to look at each one to see if I recognize it.

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
I guess I meant threads. I see the link, does it mean we have to manually mark each thread as read? Will I be able to still see the thread or once it is marked as read will it no longer show? I see I have 305 New Posts; will that keep on growing until I mark them read? I'll keep on playing around in the forum until I find a system that will work for me; it is just that before I could go down the list and easily identify which ones I had read and so far now I have to look at each one to see if I recognize it.
There's a "New (Legacy)" button right next to the "New Posts", where you can skim over recent topics and replies, even after you've marked everything read.

Hope this helps.

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
I see the link, does it mean we have to manually mark each thread as read? Will I be able to still see the thread or once it is marked as read will it no longer show? I see I have 305 New Posts; will that keep on growing until I mark them read?
The New Posts link (with the red dot) removes threads from the list once you have viewed them. However, if you use the All Forums, All Discussions forum the threads will remain on the menu, but change from bold to normal type once you have viewed them. That might be the solution you're looking for.

Also, you can reset that red thread counter to 0 by clicking on the link next to it that says Mark Forums Read.

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
Glad all discusion forum is back but what happened to the icon that indicates that attachments, pics are on the thread? I am much more interested in a thread if there is an illustration of the topic.
There's no paperclip, but if you put your cursor over the title you get a thread preview which includes the word ATTACH if a file has been uploaded.

Screen Shot 2015-10-12 at 6.19.21 AM.png

Feb 26, 2008
Catalina 30 Marathon, FL
Phil,
Just wondering why my user name changed from jimmcgee to jim23051 in the new system?

Thanks,
Jim

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
Hi Jim,

You must have had two usernames under the same email address and it consolidated them. I'll change it back for you.

Edit: change made

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
On my iPhone I just got a banner pointing to an app - "Forum Runner". I hadn't seen that banner before now so I'm not sure what's up with it. I clicked the x to dismiss it and it doesn't seem to be coming back. The screenshots of the app on the App Store look like the app may not be very up to date - it still has the pre-ios7 design motif, and the last release was in 2013.

image.png