Forum questions, comments, and complaints

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
Just click the little "Remember me" box next to the submit button. That should do it.
The forum on my iPhone 5s remembers me but it does not remember me on Firefox using Windows 7. Plus it asks for my password twice and makes me type in a number.

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
The forum on my iPhone 5s remembers me but it does not remember me on Firefox using Windows 7. Plus it asks for my password twice and makes me type in a number.
Wow, I haven't seen that and it actually sounds more the like the registration screen than login! This is the login screen that's dark, at the very top of the page?

The forum remembers you through the use of cookies, so the first thing to check is if you have some security running that deletes all cookies at the end of your session.

Also, this board has some very sophisticated anti-spam protection. I haven't studied it yet but it's possible your IP address is suspect due to activity on your network, and the login is making sure you're not a bot.

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
Speaking of Remember Me, is anyone else having trouble with board remembering you? Do you have to login daily?

I'm doing so much logging in and out checking things, I can't for sure from my own experience.

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
I am not having any issues. I come and go but remain logged in when I come back. I am using FF 41 and Win8.1. Now I did do a wipe of all my SBO and SailboatOwner cookies (there are two distinct sets of cookie names) when I started on the new board. Just to make sure that there were no residual cookies trying to do something nasty.

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
The old cookies shouldn't cause any problems, but cleaning out old cookies is a wise thing to do now and then. The old cookie names start with "v" and the new ones with "x", but for anyone having login problems: deleting them all isn't a bad idea.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Speaking of Remember Me, is anyone else having trouble with board remembering you? Do you have to login daily?
No issues on Firefox, Chrome or Safari, running on my macbook or my android phone or my windows 7 laptop

I'd suspect that it's either a browser configuration problem or user error.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
Wow, I haven't seen that and it actually sounds more the like the registration screen than login! This is the login screen that's dark, at the very top of the page?

The forum remembers you through the use of cookies, so the first thing to check is if you have some security running that deletes all cookies at the end of your session.

Also, this board has some very sophisticated anti-spam protection. I haven't studied it yet but it's possible your IP address is suspect due to activity on your network, and the login is making sure you're not a bot.
Got it. I had to change privacy and security settings in Firefox. Seems to be working the way God intended it now. Thanks!

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
I was getting frustrated with the new way of doing things. To all who feel the same way I say be patient. Try to pretend this is your first time here. No one knew everything about the old way the very first time. I'm not saying I won't continue to get frustrated and that you shouldn't, either. I'm just saying we should all give it a chance and learn the new way. And for the record, I HATE having to learn new ways of doing things. But I'll learn!

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
This is so true. For what it's worth, the pain and complaints and outrage when we switched to the vBulletin forum in 2008 was way, way worse than this. Some of that is because we're all more familiar with basic internet conventions now, and some is because this software is a shorter leap than the 2008 change. Regardless, it takes time to learn where everything is. But I can tell you from personal experience, it won't take too long!

May 16, 2007
Boatless ! 26 Ottawa, Ontario
I'm having trouble editing the captions on photos in my albums. When they were moved into the new system some of the captions were too long and were trimmed back. I can see how to edit the album description but not the caption for a particular picture. Not a big problem just think I'm missing it.
Also using the "search" in the media window does not seem to work.
Bob

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
I'm having trouble editing the captions on photos in my albums. When they were moved into the new system some of the captions were too long and were trimmed back. I can see how to edit the album description but not the caption for a particular picture.
I'll take a look at that. It may be possible to restore the full length of the captions.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Just noticed a problem on my iPhone - with a couple of pictures that Maine Sail posted in the "Another Boat Fire" thread - when I tap the picture to enlarge it, rather than opening the nice picture viewer that opens for other pictures, these got really wide and took over some of the body of the page. See attached screen shot.

image.png

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
Yes, that is linked from another site and not uploaded. I may not have the control set properly, I'll check that out. Thanks!

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Phil, thanks again for improving the site.

I think I've figured my way around it.

But, how do I post a new thread? I'm using All Forums All Discussions.

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
Phil, thanks again for improving the site.

I think I've figured my way around it.

But, how do I post a new thread? I'm using All Forums All Discussions.
It doesn't look like you can use that forum to post a new thread. All the other fora have a dark blue box in the upper right area, however.

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
how do I post a new thread? I'm using All Forums All Discussions
All Discussions is a read-only forum. It's a compilation of all the other content from all the other forums. So to post, go to the forum you want to post in, then look for the big blue button named Post New Thread in the upper right.