Forestay too long

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Yeah, I deserve that. I take a few things for granted with quick posts. I have access to a fully stocked machine shop at work...and yes we have both clockwise and counter clockwise threaded dies. My bad. I assume a lot of things with early posts here on the forums. At least until we grind down to root cause or failure mode. :beer::beer::beer:
Thanks. I have a pretty good amateur shop in my basement. I have never heard of dies referred to as clockwise and counterclockwise; only left and right-hand threads. Nor have I heard the term "threaded dies." It's tap and a die.

Nov 30, 2015
Hunter 1978 H30 Cherubini, Treman Marina, Ithaca, NY
Thanks. I have a pretty good amateur shop in my basement. I have never heard of dies referred to as clockwise and counterclockwise; only left and right-hand threads. Nor have I heard the term "threaded dies." It's tap and a die.
Well aren’t you just the nomenclature guru. Settle down dude!
Left and right thread is not intuitive to the uninitiated. So what’s wrong with hillbilly boats? Man solve the problem not the comments. Your suggestions are not definitive nor inexpensive.
:poke:

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
You're not going to take 18" of rake out of a forestay by trimming the turnbuckle studs.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Check your lower shrouds
If they are tight they may be the reason for your rake issues

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
…….. Let me handle folks. It may be the standing rigging has stretched too far. The last 26 from Hunter was pulled from the factory as a dealer by me very much involved with Hunter on this boat

Also more responses if posted on small boats
I don't understand your post....

Aug 9, 2019
Hunter H26 Hayden Island
Is the halyard for the spinnakers typically used for the halyard of the furling jib? I eventually want a spinnaker. Lots of things to sort out on this vessel.

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
Yes, everyone has a set of right and left handed dies hanging around.
I have a right & left handed thread restoration file -
It's kind of like having a right & left handed hammer. :wink:

If you buy a thread restoration file, be sure to get one with the thread pitch that you need. They come in both metric & imperial thread pitches.
https://www.mscdirect.com/browse/tn...ing/Thread-Restoring-File-Sets?navid=12106008

That aside, a triangular file will also work to chase standard 60⁰ USS or SAE threads after making a cut.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
...Nor have I heard the term "threaded dies." It's tap and a die.
Tool & die makers often make a wide variety of dies, including swaging dies, threading dies, forming dies, stamping dies, rotary dies, scoring dies & cutting dies. Different industries sometimes have different terminologies.

Last edited:

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
@Joe

I sold nearly 20-25% of the entire line just for starters besides working on them
Sorry Dave, I realize you were a former Hunter dealer since you mention it in almost every post... but I was just trying to understand what you wrote, it's very confusing. For instance, what do you mean "let me handle folks"??? was that directed at the other forum members to butt out because you're the expert? Or was it directed at joecool911 to allow you to act as an intermediary between him and non H26 owning commentators. Or maybe you meant something else. I'd like to know.
And this part: "The last 26 from Hunter was pulled from the factory as a dealer by me very much involved with Hunter on this boat" What does that mean.... and how the heck does that help with joecool911's problem? A simple explanation of the peculiarities of the H26 would be way more helpful.
Please understand that I'm not trying to troll you, I'm just curious.... and I sincerely hope you weren't telling us "non dealers" to not get involved with joecool911's question.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I scanned through this thread sort of quickly and didn't see what I was looking for. Maybe it was written and I missed it, but is the boat level? Is it in the water while you are measuring rake? That is a lot of rake and it sounds like the OP sailed her that way. Just want to be sure you actually have what you think you have for rake.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Jim26m

Apr 3, 2019
Macgregor 26M Mobile AL
I scanned through this thread sort of quickly and didn't see what I was looking for. Maybe it was written and I missed it, but is the boat level? Is it in the water while you are measuring rake? That is a lot of rake and it sounds like the OP sailed her that way. Just want to be sure you actually have what you think you have for rake.

-Will (Dragonfly)
See post 12 and my post 16. I think it's in the water. I hope he didn't have his pet 600lb gorilla sitting on the stern grilling burgers... ah, the joys of buying a used boat from an individual. A veritable treasure trove of learning opportunities.

Jun 25, 2004
Corsair F24 Mk1 003 San Francisco Bay, CA
This is an excellent suggestion. The backstay is usually longer than the forestay, maybe they were swapped.
The hunter 26 doesn’t have a backstay.

I’d start by checking the length of the existing forestay to see if it’s longer than 30' 7-5/8“, like jim26m suggested.

Also, tell us if there is a furler installed. There’s supposed to be an extender below the furler if it has a furler. See the picture of the bow of the Hunter 26 that I uploaded in post 14.

Jun 25, 2004
Corsair F24 Mk1 003 San Francisco Bay, CA
@joecool911
What brand furler, please?

If there’s a furler, there should be a 4-6” long link plate below the furler. to get the furler drum above the deck. The 30’ 7-5/8” total length of the forestay is from the bottom of the link plate to the t-ball fitting at the top of the forestay.

Check the measurement from the t-ball at the top to the bottom of the link plate and tell us what it is, please.

Last edited:

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
..............Joe , I ask questions as previously I was an an investigator. …………..

Yes, you have no idea what I contributed to the industry but only mention some things to let those I have experience and knowledge. I will say plans for a boat was submitted to Warren by me e water ballast at Hunter was born. So Joe, can you follow up and help this fellow?
Uh, sorry Dave, I'll let the others handle this one.... I was trying to get clarity on your comments.... though it doesn't look like that's gonna happen... so I'll stay clear. Go slow and enjoy.