Fluxgate compass

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Autopilots are installed after production by whoever did the rigging and commissioning meaning there is no single answer. Best guess is near centerline aft of the salon. Where have you not looked?

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I've not seriously searched for mine but I'd like to find it too. You'd think the installers would leave a note or sketch behind. X marks the spot or something.
I have an iron keel so thinking further aft.

Jan 5, 2021
Hunter 41 DS Saint Petersburg
Aft of the salon is the galley and nav station. Then you have the engine and aft stateroom under the cockpit. I have an AC and stereo under the settee seats along the centerline. Forward of that is a stateroom and head. I have looked under the seating and bed, but I can't find it.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I do not have a 2005 41DS, but if I was seriously looking for a part that was electrical and part of a specific system, I would start with one of the system parts that is visible. I would then get a strong flashlight and follow the wires of the system til they lead me to each of the connected parts. The boat is about 41 ft by 12 ft by 8 ft. Should not take more than an hour to search the approximate 3936 cubic feet of boat to find all the connected parts.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Aft of the salon is the galley and nav station. Then you have the engine and aft stateroom under the cockpit. I have an AC and stereo under the settee seats along the centerline. Forward of that is a stateroom and head. I have looked under the seating and bed, but I can't find it.
Again, where have you not looked?

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Different model boat here, but ours is located beneath the aft cabin dressing vanity table.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
You can make a Flux Gate detector/locater with a large piece of Iron, when at Berth.

You watch the Flux gate compass bearing, some moves that Iron, slowly around spaces that are distant from your engine or galley stuff.

Jim...

PS: oops someone else said that, more coffee needed here

Oct 22, 2014
If you can not find a chunk of iron pipe, use a kid with a Boom Box and a pair of big speakers. Or just a speaker magnet.

Walk around the boat while someone watches the course heading on the AP. Once it begins to change sitting at the dock you know you are getting warm.

• Helpful
Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Mine is tucked inside a starboard-side cabinet of the forward cabin. Not on the centerline in this case. Located it only b/c we use the cabinet, etc. An innocuous thing.:doh: One would not recognize it as “a compass” at first sight. Mine has Raymarine stamped on the front, but I have only the side view looking in. So must stick my head in and use a flashlight to see what’s stamped on the front.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
It might be helpful to know what the Flux gate compass looks like. What is your Brand AP?

Mine looked like a small black box with Raymarine stamped on the cover.
Jim...

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
I do not have a 2005 41DS, but if I was seriously looking for a part that was electrical and part of a specific system, I would start with one of the system parts that is visible. I would then get a strong flashlight and follow the wires of the system til they lead me to each of the connected parts. The boat is about 41 ft by 12 ft by 8 ft. Should not take more than an hour to search the approximate 3936 cubic feet of boat to find all the connected parts.
Methinks that would doing it the hard way. Look for it inside cabinets/lockers. Yes, use a flashlight. Start forward and work aft, IMO.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Methinks that would doing it the hard way. Look for it inside cabinets/lockers. Yes, use a flashlight. Start forward and work aft, IMO.
But, yes to a degree per John. Search the side along which the wires run fore-aft; i.e., the battery side on this boat; starboard side.

Oct 22, 2014
I have a Raymarine Axiom.
The Axiom is Raymarine's display. It is not an Auto Pilot.

The newest models of AP's are the Evolution series. EV 100-400
It does not use a "Fluxgate Compass".
It uses a Sensor.
Looks like this
1628354436292.png

The older systems often called by the original manufactures name... AutoHelm.
It did use a "Fluxgate Compass".

Jan 5, 2021
Hunter 41 DS Saint Petersburg
I'm sorry, I was talking to the Admiral and mistyped. I have a St7001 autopilot.
By the way I could use a sun cover for it if anyone has one they can part with. I can't find one on the open market.

Oct 22, 2014
The cords are like the yellow brick road to Oz...
1628355995878.png

Find the Smart Pilot Computer and follow the cord to the Fluxgate compass.