Finally got the boat wet

P100D

Jul 24, 2016
Hunter 23 Nashville TN Percy Priest lake
Split rings are no more prone to failure than stainless wire or cotter pins. There should be no load whatsoever on these things as they simply secure the fixture.
Exactly right! All preference really.

Sep 19, 2016
Caliber 33 Sebastian, FL
It's not a questing of loading. The problem with split rings is that they are more susceptible to snagging on things and getting twisted.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
It's not a questing of loading. The problem with split rings is that they are more susceptible to snagging on things and getting twisted.
No more so than cotter pins or tails of twisted wire. If snagging is an issue, then butyl sail tape is a great way of covering them up. I would argue that split rings, properly applied, are actually less prone to snagging than either of the other two suggestions.

Apr 27, 2010
Hunter 23 Lake Wallenpaupack
What is "butyl sail tape"? I have some butyl tape I got from MaineSail, but it is a sticky grey stuff that I use for bedding. If there is some kind of specialty tape that is good to wrap around the pins in the turnbuckles, I may buy some. For example, on the turnbuckles that secure the lifelines.

P100D

Jul 24, 2016
Hunter 23 Nashville TN Percy Priest lake
What is "butyl sail tape"? I have some butyl tape I got from MaineSail, but it is a sticky grey stuff that I use for bedding. If there is some kind of specialty tape that is good to wrap around the pins in the turnbuckles, I may buy some. For example, on the turnbuckles that secure the lifelines.
Google "Rigging Tape" $10-20 a roll.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
White butyl tape is not sticky like the good stuff and is usually available from the electrical dept at Home Depot or Lowe’s.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
This is what I use on another boat. It's a pin riveted into velcro, insert the pin and wrap it. Note that these come in different pin sizes.
http://www.apsltd.com/sp2-scar-pin-1-16-quot-pin-8pk-gray.html
Scar-pins are handy but fail easily. Many of them will break where the pin is attached to the velcro. This kind of deal is really intended for people that adjust their shroud tension every day. Most people that do that now secure their rigging another way, most commonly by securing the turnbuckle bodies of the uppers and lower shrouds together with dyneema, or a small batten. If the bodies cannot turn the tension will not change.

Jun 1, 2018
Hunter 23 Brookeville Lake, IN
So it sounds like the best route to take here is cotter pins with electrical tape? I noticed there were a lot of boats that had electrical tape on their turnbuckles at the marina this weekend.

Side note I spent the weekend on the boat doing some random projects but got to sail a friend's O'Day 272 which was super nice. Noticed I needed a lot a practice and got caught in the irons a few times while trying to tack. It was a great learning experience.

gdudik

Oct 25, 2017
Catalina 22 Vancouver, WA
We used to always use electrical tape on the FJ’s when I was in college. Always got dried out/cracked/flaky after awhile. That’s why I prefer the rescue tape.

Apr 27, 2010
Hunter 23 Lake Wallenpaupack
If that rescue tape is the non-sticky, stretchy stuff that sort of sticks to itself, you can also buy something like it (or identical to it) at the big box stores. HD has it in the electrical department.
Also, if you like them, use turnbuckle boots - they cover the whole turnbuckle so if you have bent over cotter pins the pin's sharp tips are inside the tube.

Dfed

Jul 19, 2016
Hunter 23.5 Augusta
On the scar-pins
... This kind of deal is really intended for people that adjust their shroud tension every day....
Exactly. It's easy on easy off. And yes, the velcro will crack, they need to be replaced every couple of years.