Fellow liveaboards - any tips for winter insulation?

Jul 16, 2018
Hunter 40 Boston
Hi all.
I've got a hunter 40. I made it through my first winter, but the interior of my boat was often in the 40s while it was in the single digits outside. Bearable, but far from ideal. I had two space heaters running, and I was basically maxed out for electrical capacity without risking my cables burning out.

I did *not* do much for insulating last year. I'd like to step up my insulating game this time around. But I'm looking for suggestions on how best to do so for a temporary winter coccoon.

Tips I am already going to employ:
1. bubble wrap for all hatches and windows. (And I put puppy pads under my bigger hatches - lets in some light, but also catches any drips that might get through)
2. Blankets on deck once the shrink wrap is up (bought a dozen cheap comforters. Spread them out above salon and v-berth where I sleep)
3. Cut up some pink closed-cell wall board insulation and fitted it into my salon bench boxes.

I'm not looking for permanent insulation at this time (maybe in teh future, but my list of projects is already long).

Any ideas would be appreciated
Thanks!

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
I spent the first winter I owned this boat in East Greenwich, RI as I knew if I sailed to the Caribbean I'd not get the work done on the boat I wanted to get done before going south. I got the work done, so I guess it was worth it, but it was a miserable experience I hope never to relive.
My suggestion to you is to bite the bullet and sail south to where the sun shines warmly every day and the water is a beautiful shade of aquamarine and the only insulation you need is sun screen!
stb 1.JPG

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
As far as insulation you have a couple of challenges.
You need it dry and you need to get rid of the internal moisture you are making by cooking and breathing.
This means you need to get outside air into the cabin and heat it.

If you have the change, Look to a Wallas heater.

An alternative is one of the Russian heaters that is similar to the Espar. Ask @LeslieTroyer about his. He save a ton of money and his heater ran for 2 weeks solid without a hiccup during our Canadian February Winter adventure.

You just need to have some outside air that is heated and the inside air heated to supplement your electrical heat. That and insulation on the hull will enable you to survive.

I enjoy my boat in the middle of our West coast winters. But here though cold the ocean never freezes, like Boston Harbor.

Jul 16, 2018
Hunter 40 Boston
I have a dehumidifier for now. I also have a diesel heater, but it's currently not operating. I think the fuel line is clogged. It's on the list of things to look into.

FDL S2

Jun 29, 2014
S2 7.3 Fond du Lac
Do you have anything insulating the hull below the waterline? I'm guessing the water temp is slightly above freezing all winter and the only thing between the cabin and the water is fiberglass. That would probably create condensation on the inside of the hull with the warm cabin air. not sure how you would do it but there are many people on this forum smarter than me that may know.

Johnb

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37-cutter Richmond CA
I am in awe of someone who lives on board in those conditions. We figured we were tough in Richmond California but it never got below 45 last winter and most days we would see lows of 55. We felt hard done by when it rained for a week.

I can't imagine being able to economically do more than warm part of the boat for more than part of the time. Maybe about a 10,000+ BTU oil heater vented to the outside.

We have an electric blanket that we run for about 2 to 3 hours each night at bedtime. That uses little energy and puts the heat right where you want it.

We also run some heat for "get up" time in the morning but all that does is boost the cabin temperature 10 to 15 degrees and mostly serves to dry the interior. We do not seal up the boat as the "cold" is less undesirable than stuffiness and damp. Next winter I will insulate inside the hatch over our berth because dripping condensation in the ear while you are sleeping is most vexing.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I'm sorry I can't remember the name of former poster on this forum who over wintered in Maine. He built a frame and covered it with semi clear plastic. It had head room to move around on deck and added enough solar energy to keep the boat toasty - with auxiliary heat. I don't remember how he dealt with ventilation. BTW my Hunter 356 had about 10,000 BTU heat which was completely inadequate for winter. We stayed on the boat several times the first winter and were cold. To be fair marine techs for AC/Heat say once the water temp goes below 50 degrees, those systems don't deliver a lot of heat. I'd get that diesel heater going.

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
I thinking along the line of @shemandr build a clear plastic cover over the deck and let the sun (when it shines) to much of the heating, earlier today I was thinking if the cover could go to the water leaving a gap between the boat and the cover it would do alot to reduce heat transfer. But this would be somewhat unsightly and I am not certain how your marina would see this sort of thing. I know when I am on the hard and the canvas cover is in place, it get real toasty warm under the cover that is for sure, I did a bunch of work on the boat last winter and ran a small propane heater (rated for indoor use) companionway hatch open and it was rather comfortable.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Any ideas would be appreciated
My less simple solution is to relocate to the PNW; west side of the Cascades, that is. Moderate winter and summer climate. Never a need for air conditioning during the summer. A furnace during the winter months on the hook, even when it is snowing outside, does the job. One space heater keeps the boat warm while in the slip connected to shore power. If we're on the boat for a weekend stay while in the slip I normally run the heat pump to keep the boat warm. Sea water around here seldom gets below 48 degrees, which contains quite a bit of heat.

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
I don't know if this would be practical in Boston but it worked great in Seattle. I had a Sunbrella boat cover made with a zippered entry into the cockpit and clear inserts over the large hatches. I left the stern open so I could use the grill. It kept the rain and wind off the deck and probably worked liked an attic. The boat was noticeably warmer with that cover on it. In the summer I put it in my storage locker which ultimately cost more than the furniture stored in it, but that's another story.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
My less simple solution is to relocate to the PNW; west side of the Cascades, that is. Moderate winter and summer climate. Never a need for air conditioning during the summer. A furnace during the winter months on the hook, even when it is snowing outside, does the job. One space heater keeps the boat warm while in the slip connected to shore power. If we're on the boat for a weekend stay while in the slip I normally run the heat pump to keep the boat warm. Sea water around here seldom gets below 48 degrees, which contains quite a bit of heat.
Trading a winter in the NE for 300 days of rain a year doesn't seem like a good trade to me.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Professional Tip and a fact...

Insulation is not a Temperature stop.

Say what?

Better said...
Insulation is a Temperature time delay, as Heat is removed from cabin interior.
______
What is the Best insulation you might employee?

Non-circulating AIR over the Weather Deck above the main living area. [Eskimo igloo like]

I had a Sunbrella boat cover made with a zippered entry into the cockpit and clear inserts over the large hatches.
:plus::plus: good start.

Jim...

Last edited: