Failed Bottom Paint - Puget Sound - Options

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
I plan on using the CCP Stuff from West Marine. Where I’m at right now has some pretty fast currents, much faster than Sinclair Inlet (Port Orchard) and others at my marina say it works well.
If I may suggest, use two coats and see how much life you get out of it. My last double coat of West Marine CPP lasted six years and I'm shooting for 8 - 10 years this time. Sounds insane but check out a few comments here:

Still looks like the biggest influence for longevity of bottom paint is location, location, location.

Feb 18, 2022
Catalina 36 Port Orchard
Maybe you should look at joining the Tacoma YC. My understanding from some racer friends it you almost don't need bottom paint there due to the water "quality" from the old Asarco plant...
Im not too far from Ruston, just on the other side of the bay at Brown’s Point. Maybe that’s why what was on my boat just fell off at a slight touch.

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
Im not too far from Ruston, just on the other side of the bay at Brown’s Point. Maybe that’s why what was on my boat just fell off at a slight touch.
I’m in the same harbor (Breakwater) this is not my experience.

Feb 26, 2011
Achilles SD-130 Alameda, CA
I'm in Anacortes and have no barnies. Just some slime that easily gets cleaned with a homemade hull cleaner made from PVC and pool noodles. Bottom paint is Pettit SR 60.
You are in violation of the law :p

Nov 21, 2012
Yamaha 33 Port Ludlow, WA
When I hauled at Boat Haven in Port Townsend last February i was told I needed to be working with a local tradesman in order to be in the yard. Since I was having the bottom painted by a local guy I was accepted, and did the work I hauled for myself, which was to replace through hulls. But Boat Haven is not a DIY yard any more.

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Could this be another case of "Don't ask... Don't tell" ?

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
I wasn't inferring that banning the in-water cleaning of ablative paints was smart or even rational. It is neither of those things. But it is illegal.
The reasoning I have heard is about the concentration of the pesticides. More bottom paint comes off with cleaning in a shorter period of time in a smaller area than when sailing. In a marina there are a lot boats and the cumulative effect is greater.

Feb 26, 2011
Achilles SD-130 Alameda, CA
The reasoning I have heard is about the concentration of the pesticides. More bottom paint comes off with cleaning in a shorter period of time in a smaller area than when sailing. In a marina there are a lot boats and the cumulative effect is greater.
Of course that is true. But the point I'm trying to make is that there is no science that shows that cleaning ablative paints is more polluting than cleaning hard paints. None. The lawmakers who passed that legislation in Washington (or anywhere else) were acting out of ignorance.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Of course that is true. But the point I'm trying to make is that there is no science that shows that cleaning ablative paints is more polluting than cleaning hard paints. None. The lawmakers who passed that legislation in Washington (or anywhere else) were acting out of ignorance.
Sounds like a good dissertation topic for PhD candidate. :)

• Ha