Factory Installed AC

Jun 8, 2020
Hunter 34 White St Helens, OR
Does anyone have any info, diagrams and photos of for the installation of the ac/heater on a Hunter 34? On the boat, we just purchased significant pieces that seem to be missing as are the manuals for its operation. My hope is to get working heat before the rains return to Oregon. Thanks for the help.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
As far as I know there was no A/C factory install option on the h34. Most installations were done by dealers at buyers requests or later by previous owners. The installation methods vary widely as a result.

Jun 8, 2020
I understand that they tend to be aftermarket. However the broker who sold me his own boat informed me that he believed this boat had ac installed at the time it was built, and says a few were shipped that way. So I'm hoping that someone may know more about this.

Apr 12, 2007
Hunter 420 Herrington Harbor South
Have you checked owner modifications, downloads and boat specs on this site? they usually have good information. My manual shows where the "optional" AC would go. good luck

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
I'm sure some h34 owners will chime in with indications and recommendations as to where to install the unit, the control, the air intake grill and the best locations for routing the ductwork.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Did the broker demonstrate how to operate the heater? Is there a brand on the heater? Did the heater work during the initial sea trials?
Did the broker share the style of heat? Diesel forced air, hydronic, Engine heat?

Jun 8, 2020
The heat is integrated with the AC system like a heat pump - and is Cruisair unit according to the marine survey. I will be installing a diesel heater or two as I grew up with Espar's on my dad's boat in northern Wisconsin and to fight Oregon damp.

Oct 22, 2014
Espars have a following. Sometimes sound like jet engines in the marina. Wabasto is a popular brand. I spent 18 days February 2019 on a boat with a new Planar (a Russian made Espar knockoff) we stayed warm during one of the coldest Canadian Winters in recent history.

I found a new uninstalled Wallas heater on my boat when I purchased it. After a service it has worked flawlessly to my toasty warm pleasure. Makes winter adventures on the boat a no brainer.

Oct 22, 2014
Cruisair is a products from Dometic. Cruisair | Dometic

Heat pumps have a limited ability. They are big energy users on sailboats. Why I believe most boaters have a "generator" installed to supply the need power to run the AC heat pump.

I open the windows turn on the fan and cruise the boat to reduce the temps. Diesel heat appears to be the most practical source to heat a boat, at least in the waters I sail in the Pacific NW.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Ditto. Each of our two MarineAir heat pumps will draw about ten amps of 120v ac. That includes the sea water pump, also 120v ac. Fine while connected to shore power or Genset, but impractical on the hook. So our Wallas 40D diesel heater keeps the boat warm during off season cruising away from the marina.

Rather than fussing with location and/or ducting, look into a Wallas bulkhead mount forced air unit like we had on our first boat, an H28. Great for smaller boats with limited space. Thrifty power and fuel consumption, no ducting required, lots of quiet heat and starts by flipping an integrated switch. Heat only; no need for air conditioning in these climes. https://scanmarineusa.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/1300-2018-s.pdf