Epic Fail

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Do it once while your thinking about it. is my motto...
Then I digress and start on something else and later a strange feeling comes over me...
Wasn't there something I was going to do....
What was it... Never mind where is the :beer:. It will come to me or it won't..... Sometimers.
What? :)

May 6, 2020
Hunter 260 Gray Creek Kootenay Lake
Hello,

The spreader on my Hunter 260 broke when my garage collapsed on it this winter due to snow. I ordered a new one, but I wonder how I am going to get it on the mast. Do I have to slide it on from the top or bottom and thus remove all the items on the mast that get in the way when I slide it down or can I slip it on (by spreading it carefully) right were it needs to go?

Thanks

Fred

Attachments

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
You can spread it open. Attache the spreaders to the brackets and then use them as levers to widen it just a smidge and snap it on.

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
So, there was an overhead power line near the boat ramp? This surprises me. I would think that would not be.

Tater

Oct 26, 2021
Hunter 170 Lake Logan Martin AL
So, there was an overhead power line near the boat ramp? This surprises me. I would think that would not be.
The lake I use is mostly powerboat friendly. Many ramps have this issue. You have to keep a clear head and eyes up.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
The lake I use is mostly powerboat friendly. Many ramps have this issue. You have to keep a clear head and eyes up.
Yes. That possibility is common everywhere. Always look up when trailering at a boat ramp if you raise your mast on shore. I have had a few close calls.

-Will

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
This screen shot from Chart of Peconic Bay. Note the power cable across the Cold Spring Pond Inlet. I've sailed in and out of there in my Bandit 15. Its mast was less than 25'. You can't be too careful about power
cables. They can be in unexpected places.

Screen Shot 2022-04-20 at 4.30.02 PM.png

• Helpful
May 6, 2020
Hunter 260 Gray Creek Kootenay Lake
You can spread it open. Attache the spreaders to the brackets and then use them as levers to widen it just a smidge and snap it on.
Thanks for the advice I will give it a try and let you know

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Thanks for the advice I will give it a try and let you know
It has been four years but if I remember right, I got it wedged on the mast and then tapped it with a rubber mallet to get it to "pop" on.

Mar 6, 2022
Hunter 23.5 Oceanside Harbor (trailered)
Excellent reminder! Before any movement, at any time during an launch/recovery evolution, take those three deep breaths and make those safety checks.