Electric re-sale value?

Mar 27, 2016
Catalina 310 NAS Pensacola
Thinking of converting Catalina 310 to electric power. Anyone have thoughts on how that would affect re-sale value?

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
It would be hard to guess the value, however, the market for such a boat would be extremely small and that will affect the ability to sell it.

For someone who wants an electric boat, it may be worth more, there will just be very few somebodies.

Converting the boat back to diesel will be quite costly.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
I'd say it would have a negative impact, especially a relatively newish 310. For my current use of my 310, day sailing on lake with a good shore power connection for charging I could be interested in it, but it would have to meet a few criteria:

1) Professional design and installation
2) Age of batteries
3) Condition of charging systems
4) Documented and demonstrated capability to meet my needs
5) Can I turn and burn back to my slip if a storm comes up? I know I need to run my 310 at 6kts for 1.5 to 2 hours to return to my marine from the farthest point I usually go.

Are you having issues with the motor? Your location says Pensacola, so do you have range concerns or current challenges?

For me when we found our 310, I was willing to increase my acceptable price because the following improved / upgraded:

1) Smart Plug and cord upgrade
2) New multi battery type charger
3) 4 Golf Cart Batteries and separate starting battery upgrade.
4) Documented replacement hose and maintenance records back to original owner with all preventative maintenance done and documented repairs and upgrades back to 2004 when boat was sold new to the first owner.
5) 100% Freshwater boat entire life.

LloydB

Jan 15, 2006
Macgregor 22 Silverton
Plus or minus depending upon your source of electricity. If you are using golf cart technology and sell it to somebody that is doing close sailing area probably pretty good at least for now since there are few conversions. If you are using custom or Tesla quality you probably will need to triple the price and/or know the guy who wants one. Gut level reaction is I'd like to see what results you get out of this post. On the other hand its similar to the house flipper guy who's asking should he remodel the kitchen and put in a bowling alley in the basement?

Feb 21, 2010
Beneteau 31 016 St-Lawrence river
Why do it in the first place? What is your gain?
1) Certainly not ecological... your electricity source in Pensacola is still mostly charcoal-fired though being replaced (slowly) by rock-fracturation natural gas and solar (very little). Better burn a little diesel!
2) Quiet... Yes! But for how long? half an hour going out & the same coming in: it makes you enjoy the sailing sounds even more!
3) Weight & Space? Not really because of added batteries and solar panels and/or wind generator!
4) Maintenance? A little but if you neglect it completely it'll seize on you leke any other unmaintained appliance.

So the question remains WHY?

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Well Catalina 310s seem to hold a bit better value right now. Last time I checked the asking prices were from high 40s to high 60s highly dependent on age, condition, and location. If I were going to go down this path I'd probably just sell my 310, buy a decent 30-34' boat with a bad motor and sails for a song and do the upgrade then. It probably would still be a loss, but it would be something to enjoy and experiment with.

Last edited:

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
You could always go this route and it may even increase its sale ability down the road .
Now that's an interesting idea for a little boat.
As for resale value of any electric powered sailboat, I'd go with JRT's "1) Professional design and installation" as the most important criteria in that ball game. I wouldn't touch a cobbled together system without easily accessed standard parts with a ten foot pole, as they say.
Sorry, I've just seem (many on here and other forums) way too many owner modifications that become a head ache for those who own the boat later.
Rod of Compass Marine excepted, but of course, he IS a professional.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
You could always go this route and it may even increase its sale ability down the road .
I agree this looks interesting, who is this? I'd be interested in how it prices out and the requirements. But honestly if this is in the several + boat bucks category, I'd probably just add some awesome high tech sails to at least make me look cool and fast even if I'm not...

Bob J.

Apr 14, 2009
Sabre 28 NH
Thinking of converting Catalina 310 to electric power. Anyone have thoughts on how that would affect re-sale value?
I'll kick the hornets nest.
Many manufactures have jumped on this bandwagon. Go to a boat show & see if an electric powered boat is cheaper than it's ICE counterpart.
If you decide to do the repower with electric just work with a knowledgeable vendor, whether you do the install yourself or have a contractor do it.
This isn't rocket science...

Jan 24, 2017
Hunter 34 Toms River Nj
as others have commented, don't think this modification will increase the resale value on any boat. resale of any boat is for the most part is poor due to the amount the all boats tend to deprecate. We all tend to equip our boats with lots of expensive gadgets that we spend lots of cold cash for and never seem to get what we spent on the boat back. Much like car and motor cycle enthusiast we love to add cool things to them and it has a huge impact, however the bling doesn't impress the buyer enough to part with the cash.

Don't think electric boats are in the near future just yet.

Anyway we are talking about a sailboat here right? ⛵⛵⛵
Just raise the sails and go! Who needs an engine anyway!
All we need is a little wind at our backs and raise some canvas and we're just fine

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
@Misfits did an impressive conversion he post information on another thread and that was my thoughts on professional conversion.

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
While I was in the yard doing the bottom this winter the fellow beside me was taking the electric motor out of his 30 ft'r and putting a new Beta diesel in. His reason: electric doesn't cut it against the tides and currents we have here in the PNW. Not sure what currents are like in Florida but I know your tides are minimal.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
My first thought is that there is little return on your investment in a re-power, at re-sale time.

If you're are comparing two similar boats and one has a new engine and one has a cared for serviceable engine, the newer engine would sell first, but the price wouldn't be much higher (my opinion in watching the used market).

That being said, you would have a more limited market to buy your electric powered boat. But if a buyer came along planning to use your boat as equipped, you might get a better return on your e-investment over a new diesel.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
What do YOU wan't to do? How long do you want to do it for? Is the investment or possible loss to the investment, at resale time, going to reward you with having owned and enjoyed your boat for that time? If you think YOU would like to own an electric boat more than a diesel boat, how much is that enjoyment worth to you? Is it worth enough to spend the money on the change over? Is it worth enough to understand that you might have to accept a few hundred or a few thousand dollars less for your fun after a few years? Obviously that's the question you're asking here. I don't know the answer. I haven't read anyone else's response that makes me think they know the answer. I'm just trying to put your question in terms that might help you answer that question for yourself.

Good luck with that. If it makes any difference, I personally, would think more about what I want in a boat than what someone else will want when I try to sell it to them. Unless, that's why I'm considering the change in the first place.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
Ever hear of the GULFSTREAM? lol
Yeah but....... wasn't sure how much effect it has on the West coast of Florida. Maybe like the Japanese Current on this coast that has little effect until you are several miles off shore?

Bob J.

Apr 14, 2009
Sabre 28 NH
5) Can I turn and burn back to my slip if a storm comes up? I know I need to run my 310 at 6kts for 1.5 to 2 hours to return to my marine from the farthest point I usually go.
Being able to sustain that speed is impossible with the conventional e-system that folks are installing on the typical sailboat. That's why it's important to really understand how one plans to use their boat.

@Michael Davis, not the first time I've heard of someone bagging an e-system because it doesn't fit their needs.

@JRT, thank you for the kind words