Electric Motors

Sep 11, 2022
Catalina 34 mk 1.5 Rockland ME
I've been battling this decision for quite some time ... the problem I have with the Torqueedo or E Propulsion is the cost. They are more than twice the price of a gas-powered outboard. But the trade-offs are very clear and I can see the benefit to electric. But what about electric trolling motors? They are sooooo much cheaper than the Torqueedo of E Propulsion, yet nobody ever mentions a trolling motor as an option.
I do!! It's a good option!

What gives? Why not buy a Minn Kota instead of the high-priced options?
Check the power ratings (volts * amps). Unless you buy one of the big expensive Torqueedos....they're not much more capable than a trolling motor. Prop might be pitched a little faster? Neither will get your Dinghy on a plane in any case. Now, most Minn-Kotas aren't rated for salt water, and I had one crap out after 2 seasons even in fresh water. Since then I've been running a Newport Vessels NV 55lb ($200) with a 50Ah LiFePO4 ($170) and a quick disconnect ($20) and I love it. It's no speed demon but it's quiet, smooth, odorless, easy, and sure beats rowing. I previously ran lead acid with a solar charger for 2 seasons but it was a drag (literally) when towing the dinghy.

I did some performance testing using my GPS to measure speed vs. current in my 9.8ft inflatable and estimated range from the result. It would, obviously, be doubled with a 100Ah battery.
dinghy_power.png

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
I do!! It's a good option!

Check the power ratings (volts * amps). Unless you buy one of the big expensive Torqueedos....they're not much more capable than a trolling motor. Prop might be pitched a little faster? Neither will get your Dinghy on a plane in any case. Now, most Minn-Kotas aren't rated for salt water, and I had one crap out after 2 seasons even in fresh water. Since then I've been running a Newport Vessels NV 55lb ($200) with a 50Ah LiFePO4 ($170) and a quick disconnect ($20) and I love it. It's no speed demon but it's quiet, smooth, odorless, easy, and sure beats rowing. I previously ran lead acid with a solar charger for 2 seasons but it was a drag (literally) when towing the dinghy.

I did some performance testing using my GPS to measure speed vs. current in my 9.8ft inflatable and estimated range from the result. It would, obviously, be doubled with a 100Ah battery.
View attachment 222938
I love this information! It is really helpful but I'm not sure I am interpreting it accurately. I'm assuming there is a speed setting that isn't correlated to the measured speed. It appears that the most efficient setting for duration is at 2 where your speed is about 1.6 knots and the range is about 6.3 NM so the battery is essentially giving you just under 4 hours (3:55) run time. That's pretty slow and tedious. It's useful to know that at speed settings 3 to 4 your speed is right around 2.2 knots and your run time is 2:40 hrs to 2:20 hrs. This could be compared to rowing an inflatable at about the same (or close to) top speed, but I could never row an inflatable at 2 knots for 2 hours! Any little bit of headwind makes it impossible. This makes it appear that typical trips from an anchored boat to shore (something I do by rowing now) would be done with this motor just as efficiently but with FAR less effort! But using the dinghy for more far-reaching exploration would just be too tedious, I think, even though you could get up to about 3 miles away before turning back.