Drunks on a dock - not good.

Oct 3, 2014
Marlow-Hunter MH37 Lake City, MN
Boy did I have an exciting time this past weekend, and not in a good way. I got to pull a 250 pound drunk out of the water. It was not easy, as you might imagine, and he's lucky he's not dead.

We were at our slip, my wife asleep in the rear berth while I was lounging in the salon finishing my drink and watching a movie on Netflix. It was nearly 2 am. I hear some noise, then a big splash and a scream.

I rushed out to our cockpit to see a guy in the water, one hand grabbing the dock, one hand grabbing a dock neighbor's hand (I'll call her Kim). Kim says her boat has a ladder so I jump on to the dock, run around, grab the guy's hand and tell her to flip her ladder down. He doesn't move. I now see that he's panicked and VERY drunk. Great. This is the point where I should have told my neighbor to call 911 but I didn't.

I tell Kim to get a flotation device. She finds one and throws it to him. It hits him in the face but he makes no move for it. He acts like it's not even there and it floats away. I tell him he needs to move over to the ladder (about 4 feet away) and he does't move. I grab the boat with my free hand, pull it as close as I can and tell him that on the count of three I'm going to push him over and he has to grab it. This works and he's now grabbing the ladder and I jump onto Kim's boat.

I struggle to get him pulled up enough so he can get a foot on the ladder but it's not working. I'm a big guy but I'm not going to be able to pull up 250 pounds of drunk weight. I'm surprised I didn't dislocate his shoulder trying. At this point I realize I've me this guy once before. More on that later.

I tell Kim to call 911, but the drunk says, "NO! don't call, I don't want to go to detox again!". I look at him an ask, "Would you rather go to detox or the morgue?". He didn't answer. Kim doesn't know who to listen to. I tell the guy he has one minute to make progress or we are calling 911. After significant struggle, he gets a knee on the bottom rung. In the course of the next 5 minutes, he gets his other knee up, then a foot, and finally his chest is above the transom and I grab the back of his jeans and with all my strength slide him mostly over. His upper body is half on, half off a cockpit seat and he's laying there like a dead seal. The struggle isn't over but he's not going to drown.

We get him all the way in and sitting and he's shivering uncontrollably (It's about 50F with 10kts of wind). He lost his phone in the water so he can't call his daughter to come get him. From our previous "meeting" I know he lives close by, so I figure we can take him there. Because of our previous meeting, I'm pissed. More on that later. After more struggle we get him off the boat and holding him up the whole way, and stopping to rest many times, we walk him the 4 blocks home. I'm in his face about his situation. I reminded him of our previous meeting and how he was drunk off his butt that time too. I told him how lucky he was not to have drowned. Yeah, I was in a surly mood at this time. I REALLY wish we had called 911. That was our biggest mistake of the night.

We get to his place and wake up his daughter (in her mid 20's and lives 2 doors down) and hand him off. She doesn't even act surprised. She tell us he usually doesn't get this bad. (yeah...right). She doesn't even bat an eye at the fact that he's dripping wet and had fallen off a dock. I stressed that this could easily have been fatal and he's damn lucky I was there. Sadly, I'm not sure she cared. I told her to get him inside, out of his wet clothes and into bed and all she did was tell her dad to do it himself. I told her he's now her responsibility and we left.

The previous time I met him? Last fall I spent the night on the boat to do some maintenance the next day. From inside our cabin, I can look out at the park across the fairway. At 1:30am that night/morning, I happen to be looking out, saw a guy walk behind a big bush but never come out the other side. A few minutes later I saw an arm flailing from someone on the ground. I called 911 and head up to see if he needed help. It was this SAME guy that time. He was stumbling drunk, had fallen, cracked his forehead on the sidewalk and was bleeding profusely. The sheriff took him to detox that night.

As I said before, our biggest mistake was not calling 911 as soon as I realized he was drunk, not only to get him out, but maybe to get him some help. There's no reason think it would have helped him long term, but maybe it would trigger some real help. I really, really regret not calling. We got lucky. He got lucky.

A sober person could have easily gotten out. A drunk? Different story. He was nearly dead weight. The only thing I found to motivate him to climb out was the thread of detox! I just shake my head at this sorry fellow.

Sorry for the ramble. This is a sailing forum so let's get back to that topic. We've talked about MOB situations, and we've talked about means of pulling down the ladder from the water. I need to make sure my ladder can be pulled down from the water. I'm going to look into having some sort of roll-up ladder at the end of our finger dock as well.

I'd like to think that my guests would never get drunk but I can't control my neighbors guests. How would you get a drunk of the water? I did come to one stark realization after this was over and I was back in my boat. Had this guy lost his grip on my hand, the dock or the ladder and went under, I don't know that I would have jumped in to try to save him. Call me cold, but I'm not a good swimmer and I'm not trained in water rescue. I also have a wife and three kids who need me around. I imagine having a 250 pound drunk clinging to me in the water would be a good way to drown myself.

Mar 1, 2012
1961 Rhodes Meridian 25 Texas coast
it's a real problem. We had a liveaboard in the marina who often got falling down drunk. He had fallen off the dock at least 4 times and some one rescued him. Thankfully (in this case) Hurriane Harvey took his boat, so he's gone now.

Sounds like you did ok with it.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Good Samaritan !

Even trained water rescue personnel are advised to not go in the water. Use a throwable flotation device or boat hook.

Forget the lectures, junkies are setting suns who have to decide to rise on their own.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
You bring up and under-observed part of MOB rescue. Dealing with the casualty afterwards. We once pulled someone out of cold water in November on Lake Minnetonka, and then realized now we have to get the sucker somewhere warm before he dies hypothermia. That consumed the next two hours.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Good Samaritan !

Even trained water rescue personnel are advised to not go in the water. Use a throwable flotation device or boat hook.

Forget the lectures, junkies are setting suns who have to decide to rise on their own.
Totally. The Boy Scouts used to teach throw-row-go. Now they leave off the go. Better one death than two.

Oct 3, 2014
Marlow-Hunter MH37 Lake City, MN
You bring up and under-observed part of MOB rescue. Dealing with the casualty afterwards. We once pulled someone out of cold water in November on Lake Minnetonka, and then realized now we have to get the sucker somewhere warm before he dies hypothermia. That consumed the next two hours.
After I got him out and saw him shivering I thought about getting blankets for him but I decided not to. He was out of danger and I wanted him to be miserable.

Last edited:

genec

Dec 30, 2010
Pacific Seacraft Orion27 HP: San Diego, M: Anacortes
If you are ever in the situation of having some panicked person cling to you in the water... Dive down, as deep as you can. They do not want to go under, and will attempt to climb you like a ladder... so you have to take away that "ladder."

This was taught to me many decades ago when I certified as a lifeguard. I suspect it is no longer taught... not politically correct... but it may be the only way for YOU to survive. (we were also taught "breaking" techniques, used to pry people off of you... better than two drowning)

FDL S2

Jun 29, 2014
S2 7.3 Fond du Lac
If you are ever in the situation of having some panicked person cling to you in the water... Dive down, as deep as you can. They do not want to go under, and will attempt to climb you like a ladder... so you have to take away that "ladder."

This was taught to me many decades ago when I certified as a lifeguard. I suspect it is no longer taught... not politically correct... but it may be the only way for YOU to survive. (we were also taught "breaking" techniques, used to pry people off of you... better than two drowning)
I remember this from taking "advanced lifesaving" for my lifeguard certificate in the mid 80's. We practiced both escaping and breaking free and if I remember correctly we were taught to drop down in the water and let the person push off your back with their feet to free you from them-or maybe I just took the class with a bunch of jerks.....

Jun 11, 2011
Hunter 41 Lewes
I have a lot of experience with this unfortunately and I'm with Roadking Larry, let Darwinism work.

Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 33 Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada
Wow, that was a lot longer than I meant it to be. Sorry!
You did a good thing. Be proud of actually caring for this guy and saving his life. Don't be down on yourself on what you did. I think in hindsight you question calling 911, but if something had gone the other way you would have blamed yourself for a long time for someone that needs much more help than you possibly could provide. Calling 911, would have given you the backup to help pull him out, but would possibly get him into detox that he may really need for the future. But, you are not responsible for everyone. You did good today and be proud of what you did for him.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I was a life guard and Water Safety Instructor - which makes me - nothing. But we were taught not to get close to the person in the water face to face. We were supposed to dive below the surface and get behind them where we could be in control. They didn't teach intoxication but that's worse. They didn't drill us in doing that at night in cold water. In my opinion Plenty7 would have put his life at serious risk by entering the water. I think he did pretty well but he did risk injury in pulling the man up the ladder. I think the 911 call would have been the best route. If the guy has to go to de-tox, well he's intoxicated, floundering in the water and can't get out. What notion that his life is working is he clinging to?

FDL S2

Jun 29, 2014
S2 7.3 Fond du Lac
I think the 911 call would have been the best route. If the guy has to go to de-tox, well he's intoxicated, floundering in the water and can't get out. What notion that his life is working is he clinging to?
Very well said.

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
In my youth, like Shemandr, I was a life guard and instructor. I spend a couple of years as a guard at a lake where each guard ended-up in the water pulling people to shore or until a pick-up boat could arrive.

In men's bathing suits (where someone counldn't get a hold of you), it was tough enough to control a panicked victim (hopefully, not to be). If you had clothes that they could grab, in cold water at night, with a BIG guy -- that would be very, very bad.

There really isn't a manual for how you deal with such things, PLenny7; however, the guy you saved is lucky you didn't allow both of you to die. My hat's off to you.