Drilling a hole for a USB port in the DC panel

Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 33 Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada
I did this swap couple years ago. Changed out one of the cig plugs and installed a USB socket. I used the step down drill as mentioned above. Worked great.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
Two hole saws chucked together. The smaller one the size of the hole you have now acts as a guide the larger the size of the hole you want. Works wonderfully, forget where I picked that tip up from might have been Tommy Silva on This Old House.

I've tried to do it the other way too to make the hole smaller but can't get that to work.

Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 33 Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada
Two hole saws chucked together. The smaller one the size of the hole you have now acts as a guide the larger the size of the hole you want. Works wonderfully, forget where I picked that tip up from might have been Tommy Silva on This Old House.

I've tried to do it the other way too to make the hole smaller but can't get that to work.

They would have to be different lengths to get the smaller saw to start inside the hole? Otherwise would not bite in the hole?

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
It looks like clearance underneath may be a problem for a step drill. Even removing the nav station lid may not give enough clearance.
Also, be sure to power everything down before flinging those chips into the panel. I'd use a hole saw for those reasons also the hole saw makes smaller chips which will be less likely to lodge where you don't want them to.

Ken

Jun 2, 2004
They would have to be different lengths to get the smaller saw to start inside the hole? Otherwise would not bite in the hole?
the hole saws are one inside the other on the chuck so the smaller one sticks out further than the larger one unless the smaller one is significantly shorter than the larger one.

Tedd

Jul 25, 2013
TES 246 Versus near Vancouver, BC
Doesn't really apply here (it's just a drill bit), but...
Definitely not, if you ever need to make a hole in sheet metal or thin plate again. My step bits (I have three, covering a range of sizes from 1/8" to over 1.5") are among the tools I use the most. It's one of those tools where you wonder how you ever got by without it.

Jun 25, 2004
Hunter 306 Pasadena MD
It looks like clearance underneath may be a problem for a step drill. Even removing the nav station lid may not give enough clearance.
Also, be sure to power everything down before flinging those chips into the panel. I'd use a hole saw for those reasons also the hole saw makes smaller chips which will be less likely to lodge where you don't want them to.

Ken
I think going straight in from the front of the panel (closed) will work fine, as opposed to going in the back of the open panel. Of course, I'll tape some paper back there to catch the shavings. Step drill bits arrived today. I got the metric ones, just b/c the USB device called for a 30mm hole.

Thanks again for all the comments. I'm pretty sure this will work much better than using a regular hole saw (although the trick about chucking two hole saws together is one I'll [try to] remember!).

Jun 25, 2004
Hunter 306 Pasadena MD
One consideration when adding USB outlets - Devices like cell phones are increasingly moving to USB-C chargers. You can get USB-A to USB-C cables, but they don’t provide the same fast charging advantages you can get with native USB-C. In the OP’s case you’ll still have one cigarette lighter socket, so you can still get a plug-in USB-C adapter. But in general I wouldn’t go replacing every 12V outlet with USB-A for fear of the lack of future-proofing.
Definitely worth a thought. But I suspect that swapping out a USB-A port for a USB-C port will be pretty easy, especially if they have the same size barrel. Right now, the only thing I have which uses USB-C is a new MacBook Pro, and it takes _way_ too much power to plug in to one of these ports. Our iPhones are all normal USB to lightning, and are low power.

LloydB

Jan 15, 2006
Macgregor 22 Silverton
Take your care when drilling that hole with the step bit. You will be tempted to put the bit all the way into the hole and start the drill motor but you are best to start the drill and slowly move the bit into the hole because you are shaving the hole larger with an edge drill rather than straight into the material as with a twist bit.

Jun 2, 2004
drill several practice holes to get a feel for it

30mm is really close to 3/4"

Jun 25, 2004
Hunter 306 Pasadena MD
Take your care when drilling that hole with the step bit. You will be tempted to put the bit all the way into the hole and start the drill motor but you are best to start the drill and slowly move the bit into the hole because you are shaving the hole larger with an edge drill rather than straight into the material as with a twist bit.
drill several practice holes to get a feel for it

30mm is really close to 3/4"
Good advice: thanks.

Jan 7, 2014
Beneteau 45F5 51551 Port Jefferson
Step bit from harbor freight. I just used one to enlarge a hole on my binnacle, did a nice clean job.

Jun 2, 2004
Oops dunno where my head was.

For a 3/4" bolt you can use a 30mm wrench if you don't have an 1 1/8 handy.

I'll blame it on the medication after the root canal.