DON’T Bring your boat to Lake Minnetonka!

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
For that and another reason we need an oil crisis. During the last one marinas became a lot more friendly to sailors.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
For that and another reason we need an oil crisis. During the last one marinas became a lot more friendly to sailors.
We have an oil crisis. There is no where to store all the oil that is being produced. There are dozens of tankers laying in harbors full of oil and gas with no where to go. At one point earlier this year the price of oil was negative, people who owned oil were willing to pay to get rid of it.

Yes, an uptick in gas prices at the dock would certainly slow down the demand for power boats. Once the pandemic is under control and people can travel safely again there will be a lot of small power boats up for sale.

Jun 4, 2004
- -First 310 -
Mooring in front of the cottage, free. Of course I'm always waiting for the perfect day and never seem to go sailing.:(
DSC02076-1.jpg

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
In the sailboat crazy 70s and 80s, Lake Minnetonka had 3 sailboat-only Yacht Clubs (WYC, MYC, and Shorewood YC) as well as a sailboat only marina (Sailors World). Now SW is the home to a boat club, and Shorewood is a 50/50 mix. Happily both WYC and MYC will never ever change.

This year CoVid DOUBLED the number of powerboats on Minnetonka. There was already a waiting list everywhere, and the ramps were backed up for HOURS on busy weekends. Supply and Demand is goin to reign supreme in the powerboat marinas. Our rates are fixed, and designed to be sailboat friendly.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
One of our members has to move to Minneapolis for his job soon. I'll bet he forgot to ask for his "slip adjustment" in the salary process. :wow3:

Nov 8, 2010
One of our members has to move to Minneapolis for his job soon. I'll bet he forgot to ask for his "slip adjustment" in the salary process. :wow3:
What kind of boat, and does he like to race??? I might be able to help.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
What kind of boat, and does he like to race??? I might be able to help.
I will find out. I only heard about it Saturday while he was preparing his boat for haul out. I think he is a new sailor, but he may want to learn to race.

Nov 8, 2010
I will find out. I only heard about it Saturday while he was preparing his boat for haul out. I think he is a new sailor, but he may want to learn to race.
Cool. No need to scare him off; of the 7 sailable lakes in the Metro area, Minnetonka is the most expensive BY FAR, due to size and amenities. But I spent several wonderful years with my First 235 on a buoy on Lake Harriet, and that was $500 for the season.

lakeharriet.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2008
Montgomery 17, Venture of Newport, Mirror sailing dinghy, El Toro sailing dinghy Mound, MN -- Lake Minnetonka
I pay $325 per season for a buoy on Lake Minnetonka through the City of Mound. A dock costs the same.

Sailm8

Feb 21, 2008
Hunter 29.5 Punta Gorda
I have a free slip but I did need to buy the house in front of it.:biggrin:

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
I have a free slip but I did need to buy the house in front of it.:biggrin:
+1
I have 55 feet of deeded space along the seawall and don’t have to pay marina association fees.
Winter storage is a mile upstream. Haul out, storage, and relaunch is about a boat buck.

Jan 13, 2009
J Boat 92 78 Sandusky
Holy cow! My costs at a now undisclosed location are: $1185/season for a 30 foot floating dock with power and water. Winter haul out is $3.00/foot plus $.35/foot for pressure wash. Mast unstep is $50. Off site indoor heated winter storage $975 for mid October to mid May. My club dues are $300/yr for being a senior member. Freshwater sailing on a large bay and 2-3 hour sail to offshore inhabited islands. Restaurants and a West Marine within walking distance. Oh, and another bonus. No powerboats other than the 3 race committee boats. We also have iceboating in the winter.

club.jpg
bay.jpg

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
Sailing in my neck of the woods has spoiled me, the season is short, but no tides and lots of deep open water. Even more so the cost of sailing is very low. Seasonal dockage at fixed dock with power and water a little over $2K, Haulout, winter storage, mast up and down, about $1.3K. Insurance $850, total about $4K to be on the water. This for a 36 ft boat.

On the other hand, the nearest West Marine is about 75 miles away and there is a dearth of skilled labor.
Just for my interest I used your boat length 36’ to calc costs at a marina here in Kingston Ont just across Lake Ontario from you.

I used your insurance costs and converted CDN a to USA $ at .75 and you would pay about 1K more here.

Hmmm must be caused by the better :beer: here! :)

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Just for my interest I used your boat length 36’ to calc costs at a marina here in Kingston Ont just across Lake Ontario from you.

I used your insurance costs and converted CDN a to USA $ at .75 and you would pay about 1K more here.

Hmmm must be caused by the better :beer: here! :)
Interesting.

A 28 bottle case of Blue is only $18.49 here. :) :beer::beer:

Jan 13, 2009
J Boat 92 78 Sandusky
"Hmmm must be caused by the better :beer: here! :) " Beer is expensive in Canada. Better? I'm not sure with 40 craft breweries within 30 min of my house there is bound to be one better beer than Molsons or Labatts.

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
Ooooopppsss didn’t intend to start an international incident ;)
Let’s talk about anchors instead:)

Nov 8, 2010
Holy cow! My costs at a now undisclosed location are: $1185/season for a 30 foot floating dock with power and water. Winter haul out is $3.00/foot plus $.35/foot for pressure wash. Mast unstep is $50. Off site indoor heated winter storage $975 for mid October to mid May. My club dues are $300/yr for being a senior member. Freshwater sailing on a large bay and 2-3 hour sail to offshore inhabited islands. Restaurants and a West Marine within walking distance. Oh, and another bonus. No powerboats other than the 3 race committee boats. We also have iceboating in the winter.
Lucky... that's a sweet deal. Supply and demand is always at the heard of these things.

Nov 8, 2010
I pay $325 per season for a buoy on Lake Minnetonka through the City of Mound. A dock costs the same.
Indeed, the City of Mound has one of the better municipal buoy/dock/slip programs on the lake! .

Heinzer and I can never sail together; its because Lake Minnetonka is divided in half for sailboats. Two bridges allow car traffic across the middle, but they are too low for masts. So once you are on one side of the lake, that's were you stay!

BillyK

Jan 24, 2010
Catalina 310 Ocean City, NJ
We sailors are, I fear, a dying breed. Our time has passed.
I would say prime time has passed, but there will always be sailors. And you never know.. One of the next generations may be moved back towards sailing due to the ecological aspects and wanting to be closer to nature.. i used to power boat, and i never realized the difference in how connected you feel to the sea/air when sailing..