Does any one have the size and lengths of all the lines on a oday widgeon 1965 year

lmddmc

Aug 8, 2021
Oday Widgeon Lake Palestine
Does any one have the size and lengths of all the lines on a oday widgeon Thanks Mark

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Welcome to the forum!!

The manual I found did not list them. The way I do it on my boats is to attach (tie, sew or connect wire hook/tape) a tag (messanger) line to the end of each line, pull it through and then measure the line. That way I am sure I know the correct lengths. Then reverse the process when you replace the lines. Document each line length, diameter and type.

Last edited:

lmddmc

Aug 8, 2021
That's the trouble This widgeon boat that I purchased had no lines or sails I am starting from scratch

lmddmc

Aug 8, 2021
Hi Thanks for the reply, I got the Manual and it only has the main and Jib length. I hate buying that expensive line and have a bunch left over

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
.....I hate buying that expensive line and have a bunch left over.
In that case, rig up the other lines (outhaul, downhaul and halyards, etc.) with cheap string, remove it and measure. Guidelines for measuring line lengths Selecting Rope - Length, Diameter, Type - Rigworks :

Halyards:
  • Main Halyard – Mast length x 2.5
  • Genoa Halyard – Mast length x 2.5
  • Genoa Halyard (fractional rig) – Mast length x 2
  • Spinnaker / gennaker halyard – Mast length x 2.5
Sheets:
  • Main Sheet – Boat length x 2.5 (varies with the mechanical purchase being used)
  • Genoa Sheet – Boat length x 1 to 1.5
  • Spinnaker Sheet / Guy – Boat length x 2
  • Asymmetric Spinnaker Sheet – Boat length x 2.5 to 3
Control Lines:
  • Outhaul – Boom length x 2
  • Boom Vang – Boom length x 2
  • Cunningham – Boom length x 1
  • Reefing Line (reef 1) – Boom length x 2.5
  • Reefing Line (reef 2) – Boom length x 3

Jun 2, 2004
Oday Day Sailer Wareham, MA
Here are the specs for the Widgeon rigging, taken from my Expanded Owners Manual. The specs are actually from 1979, but matched what I had on my 1969 model which should match your 1965 model. I have attached a diagram showing the rigging of the mainsheet and jib sheets as well. Any other questions? Let me know!!

O’DAY WIDGEON RIGGING SPECS

(Taken from a 1979 O’DAY memo and measurements off my 1969 Model)

Running Rigging Specs.

All Lengths and specifications are approximate and are subject to change without notice​

Main Halyard: ¼” x 37’

Jib Halyard: ¼” x 26’

Mainsheet: 5/16” x 36’

Jib Sheet: ¼” x 16’ (8’ each side)

Mainsail Outhaul: 3/16” x 8’

Boom Downhaul: 3/16” x 3’

Spinnaker Halyard: 3/16” x 27’ (mine was ¼”)

Spinnaker Pole Lift: 3/16” x 13’

Spinnaker Sheets: ¼” x 20’ (2x)

All running rigging is typically double-braid Dacron (Polyester) rope

Standing Rigging Specs.

Head stay: 3/32” x 12’5 ¾”

Upper Shroud: 3/32” x 12’9 ½”

All Standing rigging is SS 1x19 type wire and lengths are with turnbuckle (where applicable) closed, from eye to eye (most riggers measure with turnbuckles half-closed, so be sure to note this and/or bring old rigging to rigger to measure for replacement)

Attachments

lmddmc

Aug 8, 2021
Thank You so much that is very helpful. Now I can order my lines

lmddmc

Aug 8, 2021
Here are the specs for the Widgeon rigging, taken from my Expanded Owners Manual. The specs are actually from 1979, but matched what I had on my 1969 model which should match your 1965 model. I have attached a diagram showing the rigging of the mainsheet and jib sheets as well. Any other questions? Let me know!!

Running Rigging Specs.

All Lengths and specifications are approximate and are subject to change without notice​

Standing Rigging Specs.

All Standing rigging is SS 1x19 type wire and lengths are with turnbuckle (where applicable) closed, from eye to eye (most riggers measure with turnbuckles half-closed, so be sure to note this and/or bring old rigging to rigger to measure for replacement)

lmddmc

Aug 8, 2021

Running Rigging Specs.

Standing Rigging Specs.

Hello sunbird can you tell me why the mainsheet line is so long Thanks

Jun 2, 2004
Oday Day Sailer Wareham, MA
?? Why so long?
Well, if it were shorter, you would not be able to let the sail out all the way! <GRIN!>
But, if your boat was set up with an aft traveler as shown in the attached diagram the main sheet may be shorter. That 36' length was the length of the main sheet on my boat, but I had the setup as shown with the triangle tackle at the stern. I have attached 2 pictures of my old boat, one at the mooring showing the main sheet, and one while sailing where you can see how much line is needed when the sail/boom is all the way out.

Attachments

lmddmc

Aug 8, 2021
?? Why so long?
Well, if it were shorter, you would not be able to let the sail out all the way! <GRIN!>
But, if your boat was set up with an aft traveler as shown in the attached diagram the main sheet may be shorter. That 36' length was the length of the main sheet on my boat, but I had the setup as shown with the triangle tackle at the stern. I have attached 2 pictures of my old boat, one at the mooring showing the main sheet, and one while sailing where you can see how much line is needed when the sail/boom is all the way out.
I get it now instead of one line going out when letting the sail out there is actually 2 lengths going out