Do you have to have a valid ID when sailing in the USA

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Whether their form is standard throughout the CG, do not know.
The form is a standard CG safety check form. When on the water you get a copy and an “be safe”. If you ask the CG Auxiliary to do a check they request you ID and your boat papers. They give you a copy and a Vessel Safety Certificate to attach to your boat.

There’s a hope that the on water boys will take one look and keep going.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
The Supreme Court ruled not to long ago that it was not a crime for an undocumented person to be in the US. An illegal would be deported but a citizen would have no problems. It is not a criminal offense and neither can be charged with a crime. The illegal will be charged with 'Improper Entry' and Deportation is considered a penalty and not a criminal punishment . Now the law enforcement officer may decide you are not telling the truth and haul you in but any charges will be thrown out once you retain an attorney and he confirms your story.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Benny. This is a great country where you can walk around without ID. Get stopped by a public official who decides to arrest you and lock you up illegally. You rip open your pockets and rush money into the legal system. It is clear the law has been ignored by the public official and you are released.
But you have been punished. The legal system has been enriched at your expense, and the offending official does not reimburse you for your pain and suffering. You can’t even ask for it.

Isn’t this a great country!

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Benny. This is a great country where you can walk around without ID. Get stopped by a public official who decides to arrest you and lock you up illegally. You rip open your pockets and rush money into the legal system. It is clear the law has been ignored by the public official and you are released.
But you have been punished. The legal system has been enriched at your expense, and the offending official does not reimburse you for your pain and suffering. You can’t even ask for it.

Isn’t this a great country!
I honestly have no idea what point you’re trying to make here.

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
Never asked whether I had weapons aboard
Really? What a difference a couple of weeks make. We were boarded as we entered Roche Harbor to renew our cruising license several weeks ago. (We had cleared customs using the CBP Roam App earlier in the day.) First question I was asked was "Are there any weapons onboard?" But we were never asked for any personal id. Canadian flagged vessel.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
There is NO reg that you must have ID on you. No matter, With or without an ID, the coasties and the CBP people have WIDE latitude to detain you if something seems fishy. Same without. The more everything looks and seems ‘cool’, the better off you are.
Nearly half of the states in America have so-called "stop-and-identify laws." Under these laws, police can legally require a person to reveal their identity if the police have a "reasonable suspicion" that the person has committed a crime.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Nearly half of the states in America have so-called "stop-and-identify laws." Under these laws, police can legally require a person to reveal their identity if the police have a "reasonable suspicion" that the person has committed a crime.
Yes, but this can simply mean you tell them you’re lawful name and your address. These days it’s not hard for the cops to pull up a picture of you.

Sep 25, 2018
Catalina Capri 22 Capri EXPO 14.2 1282 Stony Point
My experience with a CG boarding was professional, pleasant and they asked for an ID to verify the registration. After the safety check I received a copy of
the report and a request if they could sail off with me for a while, better than the cutter or zodiac. They were fun guys. why the boarding? Just something for them to pass the time on a holiday weekend I guess.

Mar 1, 2012
1961 Rhodes Meridian 25 Texas coast
The USCG can board any US Flag ship anywhere in the world.

If you sail beyond the territorial limits and do not land or anchor in another country or do not exchange goods with a foreign vessel outside the territorial limits (the rum runners provision), you do not have to clear customs upon return to the US.
And US Customs can also, including navy Vessels AND Coast Guard ones.

Mar 1, 2012
1961 Rhodes Meridian 25 Texas coast
we were boarded by CG 4 miles off Bimini on a return- they had a Bahamas customs officer aboard. The three folks- two guys and a woman likely were close to half a ton. When my wife pointed out that the cockpit scuppers were filling the sole, the Bahamas guy took me to the bow. All in all a quite professional trio, and not at all unpleasant. In fact, I have never had an unpleasant experience in a boarding, including one where they had been chasing square bales in the keys.
All told, been boarded about 6 times, twice at anchor and three times offshore