Do you have to have a valid ID when sailing in the USA

Apr 27, 2019
Hunter 40 FL
Hello,

I'm new here and just have fallen in love with the pictures posted by you sailboat owners. In my dreams!

My husband and I were going to go on a trip from Pensacola to St. Pete leaving out tomorrow on a 40ft Hunter. Problem is my husband lost his wallet two nights ago, credit cards, social, driver license.

Does anyone know if we go on this trip and get boarded by the coast guard can he get into trouble for not having ID on him. It's sad to even ask that question because we are in America, but I wanted to know if we need to cancel the trip due to him not having ID.

PS. I did call the coast guard but no one knew the answer and had to ask a supervisor which isn't in. Good grief.... :)

Thank you everyone for the help,
Diane

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Yikes...not only does he need a new drivers license, he also needs to report a lost/stolen SS card immediately if he hasn't already.
To answer your question... A valid ID is needed just to rent a slip or mooring even with cash, so yes he needs a new drivers license even if he's not the one renting the slip. But it's never a good idea to be without a valid ID. If you go early enough in the morning to your local DMV (or wherever issues new licenses), the lines are always short and he can get a new license in an hour. It's a bit late in the day to get a credit card overnighted, but worth a try. Most issuers will do it if it's not too late for 'em to get it to FedEx.

Apr 27, 2019
Hunter 40 FL
Thank you for your answer. Yes, we have reported all Credit Cards lost (all 27 of them, yes 27), but problem is DMV is closed on weekends here or else we would have a fast fix. We were suppose to leave out tomorrow which is Sunday. Even the Coast Guard didn't know the answer. But my concern is him not having ID could the coast guard arrest him. The Coast Guard didn't know and had to ask a supervisor who will be calling us back. We are just going from Pensacola to St. Pete for a trip coming back in a week or two.

I love this forum such beautiful post and gorgeous pictures too!

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
I'd be a lot more worried by ICE than the CG. These days anyone in (or near) the US who can't prove citizenship could end up being locked up until proof of citizenship is established.

Apr 27, 2019
Hunter 40 FL
It's friends cruising from Pensacola to St. Pete. Good grief ICE patrols the waters too? I know when we take trips out west there are border stations but they just ask if we are Americans and wave us right on through. It is horrible how life has changed since 911.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
'd be a lot more worried by ICE than the CG. These days anyone in (or near) the US who can't prove citizenship could end up being locked up until proof of citizenship is established.
I was thinking the same thing, especially in a southern coastal area. Would you happen to have a copy of your birth certificate in a desk drawer at home?
Good grief ICE patrols the waters too?
Not likely to be ICE, but any law enforcement can arrest and hold someone. And yes, things HAVE changed a lot...now you need a passport just to go to Canada, Mexico or the Caribbean islands. And plain ol' drivers licenses are also being replaced by "enhanced" drivers licenses that require you show 4 pieces of "evidence" of citizenship and residence: social security card, passport or birth certificate, current drivers license and either a utility or other bill with your address on it or property tax statement. Starting in 2020 you won't be able to board an airplane--even a domestic flight--or enter any government building without it. You can read all about it here:
https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1269/~/what-is-an-enhanced-drivers-license-(edl)?
--Peggie

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
We photo copy DL and passports and put copies in each suitcase, overnight bag and the boat. Couple years ago, I had to fly from Seattle to DC on a photo copy as I left the real on the copier glass. It took some splainin to do but it was accepted..

Apr 27, 2019
Hunter 40 FL
We are looking for it. I'm not sure if that would be valid. Have you been boarded by the Coast Guard and asked for your ID?

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
In the 65 years I've been sailing I've only been asked for I.D. when crossing an international boundary. ( U.S. or Canada Customs)

Apr 27, 2019
Hunter 40 FL
We just found out a moment ago that one of the individuals that is joining us in St. Pete is a Clear Water Police officer. But even he said he didn't think it would be a big deal considering we are not going out of the USA.

Apr 27, 2019
Hunter 40 FL
This is nothing short of Americans losing their rights and the freedom that was fought for gone to waste those that died for it.

To have a special license to fly within the USA? That is nuts! I've never flown, but that upsets me to think that if I wanted too, I'd have to have a special license starting 2020. I assume when you are referring to "4 pieces of "evidence" of citizenship and residence: social security card, passport or birth certificate, current drivers license and either a utility or other bill with your address on it or property tax statement" that this is traveling aboard and outside of the USA?

I was thinking the same thing, especially in a southern coastal area. Would you happen to have a copy of your birth certificate in a desk drawer at home?

Not likely to be ICE, but any law enforcement can arrest and hold someone. And yes, things HAVE changed a lot...now you need a passport just to go to Canada, Mexico or the Caribbean islands. And plain ol' drivers licenses are also being replaced by "enhanced" drivers licenses that require you show 4 pieces of "evidence" of citizenship and residence: social security card, passport or birth certificate, current drivers license and either a utility or other bill with your address on it or property tax statement. Starting in 2020 you won't be able to board an airplane--even a domestic flight--or enter any government building without it. You can read all about it here:
https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1269/~/what-is-an-enhanced-drivers-license-(edl)?
--Peggie

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Look in your home for things with his identification. A picture card to a fitness club. Take along a copy of your utility bill with address and his name. Find a couple of these supporting identification documents. Stay in US waters and I think you will be fine, as long as your boat is not gun running or drug carrying. Tell your story. If you notified the police about the missing documents you might be able to get a case number to support your statements. Better a copy of the report.

It will not be the first time a wallet fell in the water and was lost while on a cruise and will not be the last.

Apr 27, 2019
Hunter 40 FL
Oh good news to hear because he did file a police report and has the case# and the report. He can bring that?

He has never been in trouble in is life and doesn't want to start now. We just have heard so many stories of Coast Guard boardings, we just wanted to be sure.

I won't be bringing the Glock. ;) that would be a problem I'm sure. I do have a CC license permit for Alabama though. ;)

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Contrary to popular belief in US waters you can have a gun on board a boat. They like you to have it in a safe and if boarded you need to declare it. Non US waters requires study if country laws.
But that is for another thread. Congrats on finding a form of ID and have fun.