Do you have to have a valid ID when sailing in the USA

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
I assume he lost the CCL license? You know the rules on that with "handle" like GlockGirl.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Thanks, Dave. I think I'm getting a headache.
Tom, you're welcome. Just have another :beer: and it will all make sense.

I was stopped and boarded by the CG last week and the first thing they asked for was a photo ID.
What were you doing to make them suspicious???? ;)

The further away from the border, the less likely you are to be asked for ID. A few years ago I was on a friend's boat anchored in Canadian waters, the CA CBP pulled up and asked for the ID of the owners, but not mine or my wife's.

To go back to the OP's concerns, yes if the CG stopped and boarded you it might be an issue if someone didn't have ID on them, but the probability of getting stopped is pretty low. If everyone else has ID and you have a good story about the lost ID, they will probably be accommodating.

However, if, as @SG suggests you are carrying a concealed weapon and you don't have the permit with you, that's another whole kettle of fish. You may eventually be exonerated of any crime but the hassles of dealing with the legal system and verifying the CCL would be trying and expensive.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
There is NO reg that you must have ID on you. No matter, With or without an ID, the coasties and the CBP people have WIDE latitude to detain you if something seems fishy. Same without. The more everything looks and seems ‘cool’, the better off you are.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Good music. You were right in the middle of it Dave.

The Stu scenario might have worked before ROAM. Now they video ID your mug with a Skype like app. They got you up here in the PAC NW.

As far as renegade states Washington and Oregon are not in compliance with the Enhanced DL. They have a 2 year pass. And the governors are doing all they can to elect a Democrat. Easley from Washington is so concerned that he has announced he is running for President.

Time will tell.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Every CCL or CCP holder I know, knows more about the rules and limitations of their permit then most of the Senators and Representatives with whom I’ve discussed the issue.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
We are looking for it. I'm not sure if that would be valid. Have you been boarded by the Coast Guard and asked for your ID?
Yes. If the USCG boards your vessel, the officers will ask for your ID and documentation/registration of the vessel. If they decide to do an inspection, they’ll ask to see the other required equipment. I’ve been boarded 3 times.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
If the coast guard comes along side to board, an officer may inquire if you have a weapon/firearm aboard.

Last edited:
May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
An interesting conundrum.

CG Officer: "The registration says this Catalina 34 belongs to Stu Jackson. Are you Stu Jackson?"

@LeslieTroyer: "Yes Officer, I am."

CG Officer: "Good, your boat looks to be in good shape and the registration is in order. Have a good sail, Stu."
They would never believe that. Stu is much better looking. And says eha like a Canadian.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
An interesting conundrum.

CG Officer: "The registration says this Catalina 34 belongs to Stu Jackson. Are you Stu Jackson?"

@LeslieTroyer: "Yes Officer, I am."

CG Officer: "Good, your boat looks to be in good shape and the registration is in order. Have a good sail, Stu."
If Les was on my boat and that's what happened, The CG Officer was right.
Anyway.
:)

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
I got my “enhanced” driver’s license awhile ago. I just went to the local Secretary of State office with old license and passport. The whole process took about 5 minutes. The advantage of living in a small town is that the office usually isn’t very busy and sometimes the person at the desk knows you are local without looking at the address on your license.

The Coast Guard station is at the marina entrance 500 yards from my house. I have to go by it every time I leave the marina. I haven’t been boarded in the 14 years I have been there. It seems that these guys give sailboats a pass, but not necessarily the powerboaters. I get regular CG Auxiliary inspections and I think the current year decal helps to avoid some unnecessary boarding by law enforcement in general.

Nov 8, 2010
I got my “enhanced” driver’s license awhile ago. I just went to the local Secretary of State office with old license and passport AND A SHIT-TON OF OTHER DOCUMENTATION . The whole process took about 5 minutes.
Fixed that for you!

Nov 8, 2010
May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
My Nexus card works for both Canada and US. I routinely use it in airport security lines.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Another option, especially if you are close to Passport renewal time is a US Passport Card.
I got one when I renewed my passport a couple of years ago...LOVE it 'cuz it's the same size as a drivers license (I got the enhanced on of those last year too) so I could carry it in my wallet, allowing me to leave the book at home when I went to Canada last year. Be aware, though, that the card is only valid for travel to Mexico, Canada, Bahamas, Bermuda and the BVI. With all that plus TSA pre-check (which I'll upgrade to Global Entry when I have to renew that this fall) air travel has gotten a LOT easier!
--Peggie

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
I think part of the OP’s question, somewhat implicit, was MUST one have a personal ID to sail a US flagged vessel from a Pensacola to St. Petersburg to show to the coast guard if boarded. Most of us usually do b/c most of us will have DL’s with us. But, if not?

What if our route takes us beyond the boundary of US Territorial waters—12 n.mi.? Would that make a difference when coming back within? What if boarded on the high seas adjacent to territorial waters?, etc.

I think we had a similar discussion when the address on the skipper/owner’s DL did not match the one on the certificate of documentation. Until recently, COD’s had to up-dated annually but one might hold a DL with an old address still on it until a full renewal is required, etc. Potentially, several years.

Last edited: