Desperate need of Mast Raising INformation

Jun 4, 2017
Hunter 23 Kennewick, WA
So.. I will be raising the mast on my Hunter 23 for the first time and really have no idea what we are doing. We bought the boat over a year ago and the previous owner helped us bring it down for the trip home. We are now putting it in the water and like I said are kinda totally lost. After watching a ton of youtube videos on mast raising and I reading whatever literature we can find we are going to take a stab at it. I was wondering if anyone has any documents or diagrams showing the process in more detail than the owners manual gives. Maybe any information on how the rigging is supposed to be ran and how and where everything attaches. Sorry for the long question but just want to make sure we do it right the first time we put it up and dont have to take it down and try again after its in the water. Thanks!

Apr 27, 2010
Hunter 23 Lake Wallenpaupack
I have a 23 and can advise - I have built/added a few helpful "attachments" to mine, after having done some minor damage to mine the 1st season. One key is to ensure that the mast cannot swing side to side as you raise (or lower) it, as the 23 has a rather tall mast. That can be done by having some helpers (as long as they know what to do) and/or fabricating "baby stays" or bridles to help lateral support. If you private message me we can do a call.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Isakspoo

Thank yo for stepping in but if you talk to him caution lines shrouds catching and the shroud chain plates where the turnbuckle studs can get caught

Dennis Kitchen

Thank you for stepping in to teach rough weather sailing. You are a good teacher

Crazy dave

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Never used any mechanical aids or tools to raise the mast of a trailerable boat. If I support the mast at one end and I can raise the other end I can step it by just pushing and walking. I use a mast crutch at the stern of the boat to be able to slide the mast back and connect the bottom end to the tabernacle. I stand on the stern on the cockpit seats and lift the rear of the mast up above my head. At that point and after insuring there are no tangles in the shrouds or lines I will start walking forward and pushing the mast up. I will step up unto the cabin ( a step ladder can be used) and continue a steady walk forward. As the angle of the mast to the ground increases the lighter it becomes. It is important to maintain a steady forward motion as to avoid side to side movement until the shrouds catch and set it to center. Once vertical the whole weight of the mast rests in the support tabernacle and a halyard can be temporarily set to hold it up until the head stay is connected to the bow fixture. Having a second person makes it easier as they can stand in a ladder behind the boat and assist you with the first lift. They can also come around and pull on the halyard and assist in keeping it centered. If you feel you might be getting into trouble as it goes up than quickly reverse direction, walk back and bring it down gently. Do not stop as if it starts going sideways you will not be able to hold it. From holding it above your head to the point where the shrouds catch and hold it centered should be no more than 5-10 seconds. If you want to practice the walk along the cockpit seats and up the cabin then do so until you feel confident that you can do it surefooted. Obviously the longer the mast the heavier it will be and the most effort required. A gin pole as used in some raising mechanisms can alleviate the original effort required. They even used support brackets to avoid side to side motion but the principles remain the same. doing it manually is simple and effective while mechanically it can require less effort it can be more complicated.

Apr 27, 2010
Hunter 23 Lake Wallenpaupack
I would not try it that way on a 23 - mast is quite long (33 ft I think) and too heavy to push up. I think you need a block and tackle and, ideally, a gin pole.

Oct 27, 2016
Seattle
And now a word from the sponsor...
Cabinet catch for many Hunters

These catches were common on Hunters from the Legend-era through today's Marlow-Hunters. We keep a large stock on hand for emergency shipments or just getting spares.
See the product

Dec 29, 2012
Hunter 37 Jacksonville
We used to do our Catalina 22 every year. There is a bolt that attaches the mast to the base which gives you some stability and a fulcrum. The difficult part was the first few feet. I'd think 2 people would be the minimum. My wife and I used to do it. I would be in the cockpit, and she would be on the forestay. You can't get any lift from the forestay when the mast is horizontal, but as you get the top up a ways the forestay starts to be helpful. After the top has raised as far as you can reach have that person go forward and help with the forestay. Once up the stays will keep it centered and happy.

It's one of those things that feels so out of control till you do it a couple times. But I suspect it really isn't as crazy whacky as it feels at the moment. Since the bottom of the mast is secure and only allows a pivot one direction, and you are pulling a similar direction.