Dead Simple way to attach light objects to cabin interior

May 25, 2019
Catalina Capri 18 Bronx, NY
Fellow Sailors,

I am looking for a very simple way to attach some things to the interior cabin of my Catalina Capri 18. I am an urban dweller who doesn't have a workbench or shop at home, and do not own entire sets of complicated tools. I just want to hang up the following:
- new bracket for fire extinguisher
- holder for air horn
- something to hang cargo nets on the bulkhead walls
Nothing with a really heavy load, just a way to get a bit more organized.

From my reading, think that using some kind of polyether adhesive to attach small wooden bocks to the fiberglass interior would make the most sense, and then use screws or hooks as needed to drill into the wood, but never touch the fiberglass with anything that penetrates it.

Does this make sense? Does anyone have a recommendation for a specific brand or type of adhesive?

I saw a few references to "glassing" something to interior, but couldn't easily find a definition for that.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
I don't know the chemistry, but 3M "command strips" seem to be the right idea.
Unfortunately they don't make it in sizes above a couple of inches long.
There was a product advertised on TV that is sold in roll form that would work if it is legit.
I called the tele number to order for a similar project. They use a "computer system" to ask
a series of questions that you are supposed to answer verbally (which they record),
that I was not going to answer in their format. So I hung up.

If anyone knows a legit source, please post it here.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Amazon is your friend. Search 3M VHB tape. Ya need to make sure that it has full contact with both surfaces. Cleanup is mega important, so clean with alcohol after roughing the surface up a little in the spots where the tape will contact. Don’t get the cheaper stuff, use the 3M product.

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
Amazon is your friend. Search 3M VHB tape. Ya need to make sure that it has full contact with both surfaces. Cleanup is mega important, so clean with alcohol after roughing the surface up a little in the spots where the tape will contact. Don’t get the cheaper stuff, use the 3M product.
Good suggestion. You’ll need a good sized contact area of VHB tape to reliably hold a fire extinguisher in the jostling conditions aboard a boat. Depending on size/weight I’d use a minimum 6 square inches. Multiple contact points would prevent swinging and make it less likely to come loose.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
There are industrial Velcro products.
Coupled with a strong glue will give you some of what you seek.

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
If your fire extinguisher falls and discharges you are going to hate yourself. Use mechanical fasteners.
Cannot disagree. A fire extinguisher is not a light object. Probably won’t discharge if it falls off, but could do some damage.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
There was a product advertised on TV that is sold in roll form that would work if it is legit.
If you're referring to Alien Tape, I considered buying until I read a number of reviews for it from people who complained that it pulled paint off the wall, requiring drywall repair, and didn't work on stone, brick or other surfaces that aren't smooth.

While I wouldn't use a 3M Command product to hang a fire extinguisher, I've used 'em in several sizes on painted walls, wall covering and glass and never had one fail.

--Peggie

May 27, 2004
So, I ordered the 3M tape yesterday on Amazon and it came an hour ago!
I'll work on my project tomorrow and report back with details.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
Whether you use epoxy or the 3m product (I'd use epoxy for the fire extingisher and net) , be sure to remove any paint and rough up the area with sand paper. If you attach anything to paint, it is only as strong as the paint's adhesion.
Glassing refers to cleaning the area back to the resin and adding or repairing whatever by using fiberglass cloth and resin. Properly done it looks professional and it is permanent.

Mar 2, 2019
Oday 25 Milwaukee
I found the liner on our Oday 25 had a lip where it joined the over head . I simply made brackets that slipped behind the lip and mounted cedar or teak blocks to hang our hatch boards from . There were absolutely no holes drilled or other modifications made to the fiberglass .
As a plus ,once I hade figured out the size position and shape of the hanger I could make better ones and just replace them without a lot of drama

May 27, 2004
The "project" went well. I put two strips of the 3M tape on the
cabin top inner liner of my H30C. It stuck and I was even able to (quickly)
reposition one of them for fit. The teak paper towel holder went into position with
a 30 second 'press' by hand. It has seen some moderate use over the past 24 hours
with no movement (except for the roller :biggrin:).
I'll be on cruise for a month or so and I'll do another update as the cabin temp soars
in the mid 90's heat. :yikes:

May 27, 2004
Well, it's been a month. The paper towel holder is still in place with the two strips of 3M tape, but..
I'm not sure the upper strip is holding firm.
I can't check to be sure without taking it down,
which would defeat the original purpose.
I'll report back if it falls off!

Nov 21, 2007
Beneteau Oceanis 34 Kingston, WA
I have had something similar to this for decades... also on Amazon, a "screw starter", this one is $9 and it's about the size of a phillips screwdriver. I use mine for small jobs, starting holes for just one or two small screws (like, for your fire extinguisher bracket), etc.. I just used it on the boat the other day.
Great Neck.jpg