Crazy dream?

May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
If you are serious about needing help with the delivery (at either or both ends), let me know. I'm available on short notice.
Ditto that. I'm retired and have plenty of time.

Bosman

Oct 24, 2010
Solina 27 Wabamun, Alberta
J111 seems to be rather less affordable than the Elan :-( About $100K price difference according to Google.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Dream American. J111 Better ballast/displacement ratio for a more forgiving single-hander, wide side decks, solid construction, and they hold their value.
Without a doubt the 111 is a superb boat. But used start in the $225 range, new being $100k more. And while its very fast, it's really not a shorthanded boat. In Europe Jboats makes the J11s variant with a tiller and dual rudders, and a updated sail plan including mon deux, a symmetrical kite! But is more race boat that cruiser, and I want more a mix. Oh and yes the cost.

The 30 foot J92s might fit the bill, they are over here and are very nice. But its very spartan below, and a real lack of head room.
4125-1-1369053832.jpg

Last edited:

weinie

Sep 6, 2010
Jeanneau 349 port washington, ny
Dream American. J111 Better ballast/displacement ratio for a more forgiving single-hander, wide side decks, solid construction, and they hold their value.
does it plane?

meb135

Nov 17, 2012
Hunter 33 Shediac Bay
Is having the boat sailed over an option for you? Friends at our yacht club had their Archambault 31 delivered by a delivery captain with 2 helpers this past summer. Was apparently much cheaper than shipping.

Nov 8, 2010
Is having the boat sailed over an option for you? Friends at our yacht club had their Archambault 31 delivered by a delivery captain with 2 helpers this past summer. Was apparently much cheaper than shipping.
An interesting option, and for sure they were set up well, being delivered to New Brunswick. I wonder how much the extra 1000 miles down the SLS would factor and cost. And then there is wear and tear. The Elan is more a coastal boat and while it could make the crossing, I'd want to a lot of work to the rig and systems before allowing that to be attempted.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2010
does it plane?
The 111? Oh yea. In 20 knots of breeze its doing 12 knts. Zoom!

Interestingly, the 310 does 12 knots in 27 knots of breeze.

In 25 BlueJ is doing 10. The polars show her capable of doing 12, but in winds (30 knts) I'm not sure I'd still have the kite up.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Those pontoons sticking out of the transom don't look very fast. This boat was featured in a recent SAIL issue. The publication claims that all the boats they featured had a dingy garage.

Nov 8, 2010
All the runs of the weather router show the 530NM initial deliver taking 3-5 days non-stop, depending on breeze. Here's a slow one; actually the upcoming weather. The red shows less than 5 knots progress so motorsailing to maintain 5 knts VMG. Better plan for a week.

Nov 8, 2010
My dear friend Richard (who won the 2013 OSTAR single handed transatlantic race) is now bugging me to race the boat back in time to challenge him in the 2017 OSTAR. That's not gonna happen. He's had 2 years to prep 'Velocity Girl' for a double. And he's never beaten me head to head. Need a fair playing field! Here's his craziness from 2013.

Nov 8, 2010
Ditto that. I'm retired and have plenty of time.
I'll let you and @SFS and @cb32863 know if this might happen. I figure I'll book 8 days for the European side. Mostly to allow for any patch of bad weather to pass.Not sure about the USA side... because we're in the USA it would be easy (for me!) to mix in work days with delivery days.

I've started a thread on SailingAnarchy about this, better there then here because of the number of people on SA that sail globally, and know much about stufff like this.

http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?showtopic=179179

Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
The 111? Oh yea. In 20 knots of breeze its doing 12 knts.
A well tuned RL is supposed to do that.

So if you want fast - really fast, maybe you should start looking at the New F22. Brand new is in your price range including shipping. A used F9AX or F-82R is also similarly priced. No need to waste your time sailing slower than the wind.

Bosman

Oct 24, 2010
Solina 27 Wabamun, Alberta
Jackdaw,
I might have another boat that might fit your criteria - I apologise if you are already familiar with it.
I present to you.... Luka L30 http://www.l30class.com/en/ Apparently from ~ €70,000 Trailerable, lifting keel with bulb, lake-friendly. Lots of videos on YouTube :)

It would appear an A4 AllRoad is all that is required to move it.

Nov 8, 2010
Jackdaw,
I might have another boat that might fit your criteria - I apologise if you are already familiar with it.
I present to you.... Luka L30 http://www.l30class.com/en/ Apparently from ~ €70,000 Trailerable, lifting keel with bulb, lake-friendly. Lots of videos on YouTube :)

It would appear an A4 AllRoad is all that is required to move it.
Yep I've seen it! ;^)

Some clever bits for sure.

But trying desperately to make a 30 footer trailer-able has created an ergonomic disaster. Beyond the ridiculous dual wheels on a trailer-able boat, the side decks are so narrow that they have to drop the rear lifelines in order for the mainsheet trimmer to side with his/her back square to the traveler!