Crazy dream?

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
OK its winter and I'm looking for a new big boat to replace my First 36.7 ride. I want something smaller (30ft), faster (planing), and single-handable. Many new models (Pogo30 etc) but thats out of my price range.

One boat that is in my potential range and meets those specs is the Elan 310. A Rod Humphreys design from 2010 on, the boat can sleep 4 in cabins but still plane on a jib reach. With the asym up, hang on!

Screenshot 2016-12-09 16.23.06.png

IMG_5602.JPG

A IMG_5599.JPG

Downside is that the best one on the market today in France, in Britany. The price is good, but the trick is to not allow transport to blow the model up. The broker loosely quoted 21K euro last time they shipped a boat to New York. Ug. And after all that, the boat is in New York.

But some looking on the web yields results. Shipping Antwerp to Cleveland can be had for $12k.A huge part of the 21k cost was overland shipping from France to Belgium.. I could sail the boat the 450NM from Nantes to Antwerp, and the 600NM Cleveland to Bayfield. Hmmm.

A lot to work out, but hey its winter! Anyone up for a spring delivery?

weinie

Sep 6, 2010
Jeanneau 349 port washington, ny

• Designer : Pierre ROLLAND
  • Hull length: 8,88 m
  • Float length: 8,70 m
  • Beam : 3,45 m
  • Draft swinging keel : 2,25 m - 0,95 m
  • Displacement : 2,85 T
  • Ballast : 890 kg
  • Design sail area : 56 m2
  • Main sail area : 31 m2
  • Genoa area : 25 m2
  • Solent area : 17 m2
  • Spinnaker : 75 m2
  • Inboard Motorisation : 14 CV
  • Category A or B

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
A lot to work out, but hey its winter! Anyone up for a spring delivery?
Dang. Sounds like fun. I do a pretty fair frog kick. I'm not sure you'd enjoy my Southern drawl, though.

Bosman

Oct 24, 2010
Solina 27 Wabamun, Alberta
She is beautiful! I do not feel this is a crazy dream. You simply follow your desire(s) and there is nothing wrong with that. Elan brand is very well recognised on the other side of the pond and they have history of building solid and fast boats. If you can tackle transportation, go for it.
I wonder if you could be able to have a shipping cradle build for the boat, so the boat sits on it at an angle. This would reduce the major shipping constraint - width. That may reduce overall cost of transportation.

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
If you are serious about needing help with the delivery (at either or both ends), let me know. I'm available on short notice.

Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
Wow - I love to look at go-fast boats. I'd hate to cruise on one, but it's nice to look at and dream. My only concern would be the draft - how's your water level.

We've got one of these Flying Tiger 10m in our club, Robert Perry design and cheap Chinese manufacture. It's definitely a big racing dingy: fast little boat, but not much below-decks. Retracting keel, so you can actually trailer and launch!
http://flyingtigerboats.com/flying-tiger-sailboat-10m/
http://www.sailingworld.com/sailboats/flying-tiger-10-meter-rough-edges-smooth-water

Nov 8, 2010
Wow - I love to look at go-fast boats. I'd hate to cruise on one, but it's nice to look at and dream. My only concern would be the draft - how's your water level.
Draft fine for Lake Superior. Looks OK to cruise for me! ;^)

photo_10_3.jpg

Nov 8, 2010
She is beautiful! I do not feel this is a crazy dream. You simply follow your desire(s) and there is nothing wrong with that. Elan brand is very well recognised on the other side of the pond and they have history of building solid and fast boats. If you can tackle transportation, go for it.
I wonder if you could be able to have a shipping cradle build for the boat, so the boat sits on it at an angle. This would reduce the major shipping constraint - width. That may reduce overall cost of transportation.
The boat ships with the mast up. Masts take up more room than boats when down! The quote include cradling on the ship.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
That delivery would be a hoot of an adventure!
Any chance of piggy backing on a shipment of new Elans to the USA? We just got a new Elan in the marina.. Really nice looking boat; I think it is a 380.. but not sure.

Bosman

Oct 24, 2010
Solina 27 Wabamun, Alberta
The boat ships with the mast up
The boat will then sail to US from Europe? No ocean freight will accept a vessel onboard with the mast up, at least inbound to Canada. Something is lost here ;-)
Masts take up more room than boats when down!
Agreed, that is why transport companies charge dimensional weight.
Looks OK to cruise for me
Very nice indeed!

Nov 8, 2010
The boat will then sail to US from Europe? No ocean freight will accept a vessel onboard with the mast up. Something is lost here ;-)
Thats not true..... I have a firm quote from SevenStar yacht shippers for that exact service to Cleveland. Maybe the Canada part factors but I can't image how.

May 23, 2004
I'm in the market as were . Colonial Beach
That boat looks like a lot of fun. The whole problem of shipping it over sounds like a big expense.

I would love to try out one of those Dragonfly Trimarans. That could be a fun ride but I wonder how the PHRF rating would work for that.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Dream American. J111 Better ballast/displacement ratio for a more forgiving single-hander, wide side decks, solid construction, and they hold their value.