Cracked stringer on project boat

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
The replica of Henry Hudson's boat, Half Moon, was built that way, and they had rot problems soon after building. I recall they used a lot of pine, which rots quickly. I think a wooden boat not encapsulated will probably last longer than one encapsulated!

I friend had a Beetle Cat with a beautifully varnished tiller, probably at lest seven coats, and recoated annually. Once, sailing, the tiller just broke in half! Turns out the only thing left was a thin, outermost layer of wood and the varnish. It had rotted out and was hollow, with no outward signs.
Gotta love the half stories... One of the common mistakes made is to not encapsulate the end grain, or joint surfaces or drilled holes.

So research each of those and discover the more likely truth. There are in fact boats built this way and components built this way that have been in service without any degradation for many decades.

dj

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Back to the original issue, the cracked floor.

This is an important structural component. Not only does it support the mast and transmits the weight of the mast and the rigging tension into the hull structure, it also serves to keep the two sides of the hull apart. Supporting the cabin sole is the least important function, although still an important function because the sole helps to stiffen the boat and keeps the hull from twisting.

From the photos, this floor can not be repaired, it must be replaced. The mast needs to come out. It will only be in the way and any effort to shore it up while on the boat will only add stress to the hull possibly distorting some of the hull. But mostly because it will be in the way.

All of the other floors should be evaluated. Pearson, like many builders back in the day, used wood as the core and encapsulated it with glass and then drilled a limber hole and didn't seal the exposed wood in the core. This provides good access for water to get into the core and cause rot.

The old floor must be cut out and a new floor installed. All the other floors should be carefully inspected for damage and rotted cores. The strength of the floors is not in the core, it is in the skin, so the core material is not all that important. Foam, solid wood, or plywood all work as core materials provided the external glass layer is sufficiently strong and thick. The core provides some strength by keeping the sides of the box from bowing inward, but that is about it.

Repairing this is a major structural repair, not to be taken lightly. Consult some well researched sources, such as the West System manuals and Guogeon Brothers on Boat Building, for more advice. Andy on Boatworks Today may have additional information on structural repairs, especially on the videos about the Bertram repair.

Good Luck!

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
In other words, based on the cost to repair and the value of the boat, it's "totaled." That doesn't mean it's not worth fixing, if you want to do it yourself, or even pay to have it done, but know that for the latter, it will be cheaper to find a boat that doesn't have this problem.

You might want to visit the Pearson Yachts Portal and ask in their forum.
Pearson Yachts Portal
For your boat:
Pearson 37-2

If it was mine, and I really wanted to fix it, it would mean completely stripping the interior, and designing and then fitting a new framework, which I would do with structural FRP pieces - factory fabricated, I-beams, and etc. I would consult an engineer or naval architect for this, regarding strength. Then, after my new framework was in place, replace the interior.

Note that these have balsa cored hulls and decks, so you might want to evaluate them as well. I've heard that deck hardware was bedded with gaskets instead of beding compound and quickly leaked, leading to rotten cores.

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Repairing a boat can be done.
Mark spent several years rebuilding his Hunter 40 after it was damaged in Hurricane Matthew.
He recorded the adventure here.
It takes a confident person with dedication, patience, and perseverance to recover an old boat.