Cracked stringer on project boat

Jul 22, 2024
Pearson 37-2 Pass Christian
Any suggestions for securing this stringer? Optimally without taking the mast out if it can be done. I can jack the mast off of the stringers for repair. The prior owner let water leak onto this spot at the base of the mast and it seems to be a stress crack. I’d appreciate any feedback

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
It irks me that builders uses so much wood in fiberglass boats. They clearly weren't thinking these boats would last for 20, 30, 40, or more years.

If I was restoring a boat I'd be tempted to pull out any structural wood like that and fabricate fiberglass I-beams or box-beams to replace them. (I would look to see if I could purchase them before fabricating.)

Found:
Fiberglass I-Beams - Multiple Sizes Available

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I agree with Gary and Greg about how I would approach the problem.

Removing the mast removes the stress on the hull. The stringer is placed to maintain the hull shape and transfer the forces of the mast broadly to the hull. With the damaged wood, the mast forces are transferred to a limited hull area, overstressing the hull and eventually leading to hull failure.

The repair requires easing the stress on the hull to permit the shape to return and shaping the stringers to maintain the hull shape. It appears that once the stringers are back doing their job, you will need to rebuild the mast step.

This is not a job that supports taking shortcuts. You may find cracks in the hull, which contribute to the water in the bilge.

• Helpful
Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
There's evidence of a substantial amount of rotted wood. It will be exploratory surgery. keep grinding until you get to solid wood and then start repairing. Take pics of what you find. THis forum has helped me though quite a few fiberglass repairs

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Wood has some benefits. It's cheap, it's strong, it's easy to get and easy to work and it is much lighter than sold glass. In the interior of the boat, consideration has to be given to its environment. Many wooden boats last for decades. Letting a wooden boat dry out is not usually good for the planking. I would guess that water damage was from fresh water, not saltwater. But a mast stepped through the cabin top is difficult to seal when every time you tack, it stresses the mast against the cabin and loosens the seal.

Easing the stress on that frame can be accomplished best by removing the mast. If you jack the mast up, that could work too, but get your job done quickly because you don't want an unsupported mast swinging around, assuming you're on the water and that's why you don't want to drop the mast.

By the way, that's a frame, not a stringer. Stringers run longitudinal from bow to stern. They support the frames during construction and lend stiffness to the hull.

Good luck with your repairs.

-Will

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Of course Ralph is right in today's world of modern material.

Of note is that we have been making boats out of wood for centuries. While molded fiberglass stringers and pans are used on new boats, the use of wood stringers in repairs of older boats still has merit. The ability to fit and shape a piece of water resistant wood can facilitate the repair of a mature boat. Then care would be given in assuring minimal water exposure and proper drainage of bilges to minimize water inundation helps to lengthen the use of wood in boats.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
If it was FRP, may have cost more than I'd be willing to pay for the boat. So either way, you're right

PS - This is why boats and water dont mix
I'm not following. Do you mean the boat would have been worth more than you could afford if it didn't have the damage due to the wood?

Nov 21, 2012
Yamaha 33 Port Ludlow, WA
You can build a boat with wood. You can build a boat with fiberglass. It's when 2 materials are mixed that trouble ensues.

Encapsulating wood with glass pretty much assures the wood's destruction once water is introduced.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
Encapsulating wood with glass pretty much assures the wood's destruction once water is introduced.
I'd rewrite that - enclosing wood with glass ....

Encapsulating wood in epoxy designed to penetrate the cellular structure of the wood works extremely well. But the wood needs to be fully encapsulated, otherwise as you say - it will get water infiltration and rot.

dj

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
I'd rewrite that - enclosing wood with glass ....

Encapsulating wood in epoxy designed to penetrate the cellular structure of the wood works extremely well. But the wood needs to be fully encapsulated, otherwise as you say - it will get water infiltration and rot.

dj
The replica of Henry Hudson's boat, Half Moon, was built that way, and they had rot problems soon after building. I recall they used a lot of pine, which rots quickly. I think a wooden boat not encapsulated will probably last longer than one encapsulated!

I friend had a Beetle Cat with a beautifully varnished tiller, probably at lest seven coats, and recoated annually. Once, sailing, the tiller just broke in half! Turns out the only thing left was a thin, outermost layer of wood and the varnish. It had rotted out and was hollow, with no outward signs.