Covid-19 Vaccination

Jun 11, 2011
Hunter 41 Lewes
Most of what you have said in this post is just wrong. If you are going to make statements like these then you need to provide reliable sources to back up your claims.

Per your biased TV information. I looked my information up on statistical websites not news sites.

Here's the reality:

WOW now I can rest easy knowing that all I ever need to do to know the truth is to consult the Syracuse news.

Yes, there is a question about why some African nations are not experiencing the same infection rate as the US and other developed nations. Rather than just spouting headlines, you might want to actually read the article and understand why the data might be misleading.

LOL misleading according to the NY Times. And you have the nerve to question where I get my data from, while you eat this tripe .

There is a lot of money to be made by spreading lies and misinformation. Rush Limbaugh didn't die a poor man, he was laughing all the way to the grave. Alex Jones makes a lot of money selling sham cures for what ails you. The Murdoch family is very rich, not by supporting good journalism but being the mouthpiece of the disinformation market.

@uncledom, I am more than willing to read any articles that are science based and published by respected periodicals that support the positions you state. However, all opinions are not equal, some are quite worthless and destructive. If you have data to support your opinions please share it, I would enjoy reading and responding to it.

However, if your sources are places like InfoWars, Fox News, ONAN, and such, please save your energy and keep them to yourself.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Per your biased TV information. I looked my information up on statistical websites not news sites.
And which statistical sites did you look at? Still no references for your assertions. What analysis did you do to arrive at your conclusions? What are your credentials to do that analysis?

WOW now I can rest easy knowing that all I ever need to do to know the truth is to consult the Syracuse news.

LOL misleading according to the NY Times. And you have the nerve to question where I get my data from, while you eat this tripe .
Obviously you did not read the article or read the underlying report or if you did, you failed to understand that which you read. If you did understand it, you would not be making inane comments.

You have not provided any data. Just vague assertions with no supporting references. These are exactly the kind of statements Russian disinformation campaigns use and are parroted on conspiracy websites: vague unsupported statements, innuendo, and histrionic headlines.

I'd be more than happy to review your sources of information and provide a cogent assessment of the data and sources. I wonder why? If the data your are relying on is fair and accurate then one would think you would be eager to share the data. Why not share your references?

Still waiting.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
These U.S. statistics suggest herd immunity, based on 85% of the population vaccinated or infected, is around the corner.

59.4 million of the US population are vaccinated with at least one shot. Based on the data from these sources there are 54 million 65+ year old, 32 million front line workers plus 95.1 million who have had Covid in a population of 328 million. That leads me to a few observations: 1) 69% (59.4/(54+32) of vaccine-eligible folks got vaccinated to date, 2) 47% (59.4+95.1)/328 of the population has immunity, 3) 38% or 124.6 million (328 x 38%) more vaccinations or positive infections are required for the US to achieve herd immunity.

Jan 11, 2014
These U.S. statistics suggest herd immunity, based on 85% of the population vaccinated or infected, is around the corner.

59.4 million of the US population are vaccinated with at least one shot. Based on the data from these sources there are 54 million 65+ year old, 32 million front line workers plus 95.1 million who have had Covid in a population of 328 million. That leads me to a few observations: 1) 69% (59.4/(54+32) of vaccine-eligible folks got vaccinated to date, 2) 47% (59.4+95.1)/328 of the population has immunity, 3) 38% or 124.6 million (328 x 38%) more vaccinations or positive infections are required for the US to achieve herd immunity.

It does look like we are well on our way and in a few months life can begin to return to 2019. But we can't let our guard down for awhile, so I suspect masking and social distancing will still be encourage. Two important factors that we don't know are how long immunity by vaccination or by infection lasts. Some vaccines are very long lasting, a measles vaccine, others are short lived like the flu. Only time and research will answer that question. And there are the variants and mutations that are impossible to predict.

In 2 years all those boats bought last year will be up for sale and some good deals will be available. ;)

One aspect of the data you cite might be misleading. Apparently the CDC reports people who received the J&J shot twice, in both the "had one shot" and the "fully vaccinated" categories. It is probably better to rely on the fully vaccinated number as an indicator. The NY Times has been collected and publishing data on the virus and vaccinations. They do a lot of the number crunching and mapping. Interesting stuff.

The CDC updates its information every evening. As of last night (3/10) they report 9.9% of the population is fully vaccinated and 18.8% have received at lest one shot. See the link below for the latest information.

Jan 11, 2014
Not sure the value a publication that is showing such a strong political ajenda.
Organizations such as the CEPR and The American Enterprise Institute do have a political point of view, the CEPR tends to be more progressive and the AEI tends to be more conservative. Knowing the institutional orientation is important when reading their analyses and opinions. However, both organizations and similar reputable policy institutes tend to report data with reasonable accuracy and their sources are often the same government data sets.

It is not so much the data from either of these organizations that is the issue, it is with the interpretations one should be cautious and understand the motivations of the writers and their track record, especially when making predictions that may have a political slant.

To be an informed citizen it is important to read opinions from multiple angles and not just search for opinions that reinforce our own, but that challenge our own opinions and beliefs.

Feb 21, 2013
Not sure the value a publication that is showing such a strong political agenda.
Sorry, I CEPR data since it was the only font-line data source I could find. Happy to re-work the statistics if you refer to me to another reliable source of data. The point I was making is the % of vaccine-eligible folks that got vaccinated to date shows a promising trend, albeit I have met plenty who do not plan to get the vaccine, which means more folks either need to be vaccinated or get Covid to achieve herd immunity.

Last edited:
May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
from shot nu.2 i have had zero reaction. felt good the whole time afterwards. everyone is different. was easy for me

BrianH

Feb 14, 2005
Hunter 44 LaSalle, MI
We received our first of 2 jabs today. I'm finding the side effects are quite profound.

First, I'm thinking about the future, when I'm not stuck in this weird box that is getting old after a year.

Everywhere I look, the playing field has changed. Remote work, zoom, real estate, cities to rural coasts like mine have reset in various ways, some more than others. People, millions, all coming out the other side.

My coffee shop down the street to NYC, they've all gone through this box and nothing, nothing, will come out the same on the other side.

Weirdly, most everything I see on the other side, looks better, a little better.

I can't remember which arm I was shot in, maybe I'm hallucinating?

This is a statue in Lucca, Italy. This is how I feel.

View attachment 191345
Cold, you are saying you are cold?!

Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
"Frontline" or essential is a lot bigger than anyone thinks it is. We are an industrial electronic equipment manufacturer. While all non-manufacturing portions of our work switched to working from home, we never skipped a beat. In turn, we had to call our suppliers up and tell them to get to work. This went for circuit board suppliers to servo motor manufacturers. In turn they were calling their suppliers, informing them they were essential. There are really very few people who were not part of that chain. After some time, anyone who was not part of the chain inserted themselves into the chain so they could stay in business. We were considered critical manufacturing and were even mentioned twice in a White House press briefing regarding our involvement in the PPE supply chain. If think about it, steel, aluminum castings, rubber, all the little components that make up a piece of manufacturing gear all were essential. I can hardly think of anyone who wouldn't be, other than final assembly and sales of recreation products. (oh and also our politicians LOL) Just knowing how broad our supply chain is as well as the broad base we supply to and their chain as well, my opinion is that the essential worker list is much larger than most of these surveys acknowledge.
Just as a side note, anyone that tells you we could have gotten more PPE produced and out there faster than we did is lying. Our biggest difficulty was our supply chain and keeping it healthy. Our company stayed healthy, but our supply chains had some issues. For the first 8 months, we had no covid cases world wide. Only recently have there been maybe two, but none of those cases spread to any other individuals.

Feb 21, 2013
Daveinet.....fully agree!! When Covid started my oil refinery continued to operate to produce gasoline and diesel without Covid cases. The oil refinery workers were essential.

Jan 11, 2014

The NY Times used publicly available data to project vaccination rates. The current projection is 70% will be vaccinated by July 7.

Scroll down in the article.

Feb 21, 2013
...........The current [Covid vaccine] projection is 70% will be vaccinated by July 7..............
Maybe someone should start a new thread and take bets on % of US population that WILL GET vaccinated. My guess is 70% tops and herd immunity (85% of the population) will be achieved sooner when one adds the number who already gotten Covid.

Johnb

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37-cutter Richmond CA
I see signs that things are changing rapidly for the better in my local community. Our hospital which was leading the charge is shutting down its vaccination program because pharmacies are starting to provide the service in a much more efficient distributed way. Production is ramping up.

I wonder if it means these learned predictions ain’t worth a bucket of warm spit.

Jan 11, 2014
I see signs that things are changing rapidly for the better in my local community. Our hospital which was leading the charge is shutting down its vaccination program because pharmacies are starting to provide the service in a much more efficient distributed way. Production is ramping up.

I wonder if it means these learned predictions ain’t worth a bucket of warm spit.
The NYT article was addressing the national trend and was assuming a consistent level of participation in the vaccine program. There is likely to be considerable variation between locales, some areas will be ahead of the trend, others below. For example, In Alaska 17% of the population is fully vaccinated (as of 3/11) while Utah is far below at 7.6%. California is at 9%.

It is always prudent to avoid generalizing from a small data set to a large one. In NY the rate for having at least one vaccine dose ranges from about 15% in some counties to as high as 49% in others. Overall the state is at about 20%. Similar information is probably available for every state.

Feb 21, 2013
In case you did not know Office Depot will copy and laminate your Covid vacinnation card for free!! Got one each my my wife and I.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
In case you did not know Office Depot will copy and laminate your Covid vacinnation card for free!! Got one each my my wife and I.
Not a good idea!
You may have been lucky but most lamination machine use heat to adhere the lamination and the printed tape used by many vaccination sites to denote vaccine type, date and certification is heat sensitive paper. Lamination can obliterate the information

Feb 21, 2013
Not a good idea! You may have been lucky but most lamination machine use heat to adhere the lamination and the printed tape used by many vaccination sites to denote vaccine type, date and certification is heat sensitive paper. Lamination can obliterate the information.
Don, I was also skeptical but they make a "copy" of both sides then laminmate the "copy" so end up with a one laminated copy front and back.

Last edited: