Covid-19 Vaccination

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Maybe someone should start a new thread and take bets on % of US population that WILL GET vaccinated. My guess is 70% tops and herd immunity (85% of the population) will be achieved sooner when one adds the number who already gotten Covid.
I am thinking 50%
The lower the vaccination rate, the more pressure there will be for "vaccination passports." The people who will scream the most about the restrictions will be the ones who refuse to get vaccinated.

Ya can't have your cake and eat it too.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
The lower the vaccination rate, the more pressure there will be for "vaccination passports." The people who will scream the most about the restrictions will be the ones who refuse to get vaccinated.

Ya can't have your cake and eat it too.
I had my second jab last week. No side effects, again. Both our kids, 30 and under, have their first.

Maine is doing well. 73% of us over 65 are fully vaccinated in my county and we're in the top 4-5 states in the country. 18+ is open in Me.

In fact, all of NE is doing well-getting shots in arms. It sounds like this could be a banner season for cruising boats on the coast of Maine.

We're already planning the return of our local Harborque on the 4th.

Hallelujah!

4th of July Harborque 2019 lobsters.jpg

Jan 11, 2014
I had my second jab last week. No side effects, again. Both our kids, 30 and under, have their first.

Maine is doing well. 73% of us over 65 are fully vaccinated in my county and we're in the top 4-5 states in the country. 18+ is open in Me.

In fact, all of NE is doing well-getting shots in arms. It sounds like this could be a banner season for cruising boats on the coast of Maine.

We're already planning the return of our local Harborque on the 4th.

Hallelujah!

View attachment 192608
We were in Bath a couple of weeks ago. Restaurants had customers, hotels had cars in the parking lots. Lots of masks, contact tracing, and good lobster rolls.

Looking forward to sailing to Maine this summer. Unfortunately we'll be using the southern route as it doesn't look good for the border to open and allow us to come the northern route. :(

Jan 7, 2014
Beneteau 45F5 51551 Port Jefferson
I've had both shots. I know plenty of people who want to "wait and see" I say once those who want a shot got a shot, masks off. Let the laws of natural selection go to work. Insurance should not have to cover you if you refuse the shot.

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
all my siblings and their families, all my kids and their spouses, all my friends and their people have now gotten their shots. they are all over the country. there are many different ages. no big deal.
that said, i have no opinion on what other people choose. i think no one has the right to tell others what they should inject into their bodies. i think that everyone has all their rights, shot or no shot. it's just how i roll.
hope to get north in the beginning of june. get all the toys out. enjoy the summer season, fall too. oh, i have dreams for this summer. :cool:

Mar 3, 2003
Hunter 356 Grand Rivers
As a follow up, My wife and I had Covid in early January which I posted about on January 30.. We had To wait 90 days from getting Covid to get the vaccine. We went for the Johnson andJohnson since it was 1 shot and done. We both had mild Covid, no meds and not hospitalized. After the shot, I had sore arm, headache, flu-like symptoms for about 24 hours and was fatigued. Wife had 2-1/2 days severe headache, fatigued, temperature up to 101.8. Took Motrin And temperature rapidly returned to normal. Both of us were fine after 3 days. We think our reactions were due to the antibodies we had built up from Covid in the first place. I’m through with masks except when required at airports and when flying - otherwise I don’t wear one. If I’m close to people I tell them I’ve had Covid and been vaccinated. I never thought masks worked to begin with - the virus is just too small at .1 micron to be stopped by even a Hepa filter (1 micron), much less cotten or those stretchy bandanas I see people wear. Covid is a wierd disease - we were fortunate we had mild cases. We’ve had friends die from it that had better health than we do. We’ll be 74 in a month, so we now consider we’re done with this. I had a business trip this week to Southern California and the airports are packed and flights are close to full again. People are out and about and life’s getting back to normal. That’s what we all need to do. Lot more traffic than in the recent past. I respect people that don’t want the shot and have concerns. This whole thing has been fear driven and not scientific based response. The media have sensationalized it as has the politicians who like the control and attention. It’s time we put both groups back on the back burner and get on with living. There is risk in getting out of bed. Go sailing!!

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2014
I've had both shots. I know plenty of people who want to "wait and see" I say once those who want a shot got a shot, masks off. Let the laws of natural selection go to work. Insurance should not have to cover you if you refuse the shot.
The mask issue is one of enforcement. In public indoor settings masks are necessary to stop the spread and they are only effective if everyone is wearing one. Allowing those who have the antibodies to not wear one, creates an enforcement issue. Are stores going to stop and ask everyone who enters to show proof of vaccine or other evidence of immunity? Believe it or not, if mask wearing is made optional for those who have been vaccinated, there will be people who lie about that.

With that said there are some activities like eating in a restaurant, going to a movie theater, a concert or a stage show that are recreational and nonessential. These are also venues where it is normal to for the business to stop patrons before entering, to get a seat at a table or collect a ticket. It would not be burdensome for the business to check for vaccinations and no one could claim the have a right to eat in a restaurant.

The vaccine requirement is akin to the no smoking requirements. You may have the right to smoke, but you don't have the right to expose others to smoke when in a public space. The right to smoke does not trump the right to clean air. Your right to not be vaccinated does not trump my right to be in a healthy environment.

As for masks, they reduce the spread of the virus, not by stopping the virus per se, but by capturing the liquid droplets present in our breaths in which the virus resides. Some masks are much more effective than others. The least effective and actually counterproductive masks are those thin "buffs" that some wear. Apparently those masks break up the droplets in smaller droplets which allows them to be suspended in the air for longer periods of time, thereby increasing the risk of spread.

I hate wearing a mask, however, it is a small sacrifice to make if it even saves one life or one serious illness.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
An acquaintance of mine works for the largest medical facility in the State. In the last week three have been two deaths, both within 30 hours of injection of the J&J vaccine. This has led to my acquaintance crumbling to tears on multiple occasions. One was a male barely over 40 who died within 3 hours of the injection. The other was also a male in his mid 40's who died within 30 hours of having the J&J injection. The family of one of them tried to take this story to the press... Nothing, NADA, Zilch..... Meanwhile, we are being led to believe that this only occurs in women and that there are only 6 cases?

I almost forgot to mention that my acquaintance has now had four fully vaccinated patients who now have COVID 19. One currently in the ED and not doing well at all.

The question everyone should be asking is why are these stories being completely squashed, removed & erased from any media or Government reporting? I don't have problems with these vaccines, they are necessary. What I do have problems with is when we are being under informed and fed heavily filtered data.

P.S. there is way more detail to both of these cases but I can't discuss the details. Let's just say that both families have tried to get these incidents out there and they are being physically blocked/removed/erased by any and all public channels. Why? Is the question we should all be asking.

Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
Our county is well on its way to hit a full force copy of the winter wave. Last week we hit a peak of 400 people per day getting sick. Considering at the winter peak we were at about 900 per day and seeing the rate of incline, this wave is going to be big. Considering the low point in February was around 75 per day, this is significant. When you consider we are at 25% vaccinated, makes one wonder if the vaccination is having any impact at all. I've not seen any data on the rate of sickness amongst those who have been vaccinated, but it would sure be interesting to know.

Maine Sail, It should be obvious that the media is no longer the media any more. They have become warriors for whatever cause they view as noble, regardless of the outcome. How many media outlets have the catch line "making a difference"? Its a very sad state of affairs. Just curious, has the story also been blocked by social media as well?

Last edited:
May 25, 2012
there is a difference between rights and privliges. i get that

Last edited:
Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Just curious, has the story also been blocked by social media as well?
Yes and the family member is now in "internet jail" (locked account) for 4 weeks. All for trying to let people know what happened.

May 25, 2012
my cousin, 50 some years ago, had a normal little baby boy. took the DTP shot just like we all did. worked for me. that little boy became a vegetable. lived 19 years. weighed 60 lbs. never walked or talked or anything. had to have 24 hr care for 19 yrs. no one mentioned that the DPT shot does harm about 1 in every 10,000. all this vaccination talk is a gamble. the new vaccine shot is untested by usual standards. i get that a lot of people are trying their best for us all. it is all still a gamble. i choose to take it. any one that claims they have all the answers is a ****** x 2.

it is a roll of the dice. period. the worst county in the country is 3 miles north of my home. in a lock down state. in which they produce a vaccine. :banghead:

good luck to you all! sailing is a good hobby during all this. a new virus may well be starting to spread right now. maybe 2. :yikes:

hope you all can find some love this year. better yet on your boat.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
An acquaintance of mine works for the largest medical facility in the State. In the last week three have been two deaths, both within 30 hours of injection of the J&J vaccine. This has led to my acquaintance crumbling to tears on multiple occasions. One was a male barely over 40 who died within 3 hours of the injection. The other was also a male in his mid 40's who died within 30 hours of having the J&J injection. The family of one of them tried to take this story to the press... Nothing, NADA, Zilch..... Meanwhile, we are being led to believe that this only occurs in women and that there are only 6 cases?

I almost forgot to mention that my acquaintance has now had four fully vaccinated patients who now have COVID 19. One currently in the ED and not doing well at all.

The question everyone should be asking is why are these stories being completely squashed, removed & erased from any media or Government reporting? I don't have problems with these vaccines, they are necessary. What I do have problems with is when we are being under informed and fed heavily filtered data.

P.S. there is way more detail to both of these cases but I can't discuss the details. Let's just say that both families have tried to get these incidents out there and they are being physically blocked/removed/erased by any and all public channels. Why? Is the question we should all be asking.
If you do SOMETHING to millions of people, all the crazy one-in-a-million random things that can and do happen to people will happen to some of them within 24 hours after they do that SOMETHING. Its gonna happen.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Yes and the family member is now in "internet jail" (locked account) for 4 weeks. All for trying to let people know what happened.
Seems a tad inconsistent to me. If they can't get their word out, what's stopping their friends and acquaintances from doing so? Who's doing the "blocking?"
Forgive me for feeling slightly CT about this.

I am sorry to hear about the loss of friends & family, for whatever reason.

As for masks, they reduce the spread of the virus, not by stopping the virus per se, but by capturing the liquid droplets present in our breaths in which the virus resides. Some masks are much more effective than others. The least effective and actually counterproductive masks are those thin "buffs" that some wear. Apparently those masks break up the droplets in smaller droplets which allows them to be suspended in the air for longer periods of time, thereby increasing the risk of spread.

I hate wearing a mask, however, it is a small sacrifice to make if it even saves one life or one serious illness.
Logic. Simple.
What's so hard?
It's a health issue, not a political football.
Gee, just ask Gym Jordan.

Anti-vaxxers are mostly alive because both their parents AND their kids got the vaccines for: polio, nmeasles, mumps, smallpox...
Geez, the stupidity is truly frightening.

I never thought masks worked to begin with - the virus is just too small ...............
I had a business trip this week to Southern California and the airports are packed and flights are close to full again. People are out and about and life’s getting back to normal. That’s what we all need to do. Lot more traffic than in the recent past. I respect people that don’t want the shot and have concerns. This whole thing has been fear driven and not scientific based response.
Sure, let's all get back on packed airplanes. More abject nonsense. Not scientific? Perhaps you should go join Gym Jordan. I'm sure Dr. Fauci would appreciate your point of view.

Bob S

Sep 27, 2007
Beneteau 393 New Bedford, MA
I got my second March 11th. The whole family is. I feel good about it. 1/2 a million plus souls have died the past year. We’ll have to see what the next year will bring.

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
I pray that no one ever again needs to wear a scarlet letter, a tattooed number or the Star of David on their clothing. I thought how once when I traced the letter "T" on a patient's forehead with his own blood that this was almost obscene if not for the fact it was necessary..

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
It feels like a race here. Maine and NE numbers of fully vaccinated are rising quickly.

At the same time Covid exposure risk is running between high and very high in my county which is now at 35% fully vaccinated, and rising fast. I thank the state and local epidemiologists that are mounting the vaccination campaign.

1618573402690.png