Correct sheet car placement for 100 jib?

Nov 15, 2015
J J/30 Seward, AK
Nuts I don't have one of those. Maybe I should just put a car on the toe rail. My track doesn't go as far aft along the windows as yours. Stu, thanks for finally putting photos to it.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Please note this is my C34, not a C30. Some of our boats had both inboard and outside tracks on the gunwale. Mine doesn't have the outside tracks. IIRC, the inboard track on C30s is up on the coachroof, right?

Jul 14, 2015
Catalina 30 Stillhouse Hollow Marina
John, as long as the lead is fair to the winch, and, as mentioned, not too low or too high, then all you're doing is using aView attachment 119158 View attachment 119159 View attachment 119160 jib fairlead car mounted block as a turning or cheek block. They usually aren't used in that service, i.e., to turn the direction of the line. We have two fairleads per side going to a big cheek block on the outside of the coaming.View attachment 119158 View attachment 119158 View attachment 119159

Sorry about the duplicates.

Pulley thingy??? really....:)
I was just trying to be funny. Here is my setup, although the sheet is currently tied off to cleat 1 foot behind winch. When it is going to winch, it does not rub coaming.
2016-01-12 16.19.10.jpg

mortyd

Dec 11, 2004
Catalina 30 easy living
sorry but i can't make heads or tails out of your photo. find a catalina 30 or at least a good picture or diagram of one. it's your boat, but this is not the way it's supposed to be. and stu, what do you think i'm confusing? and, on the catalina 30 the turning block is on the deck.

Jul 14, 2015
sorry but i can't make heads or tails out of your photo. find a catalina 30 or at least a good picture or diagram of one. it's your boat, but this is not the way it's supposed to be. and stu, what do you think i'm confusing? and, on the catalina 30 the turning block is on the deck.
What you are looking at is a jib traveler from Garhauer. the sheet from the Genoa is the White with red strips coming down from the top right to a Genoa lead car. It goes back along track to another type of Genoa car that pivots only horizontally behind the winch. From there it currently is tied off at cleat, but would normally return to the winch when in use.

mortyd

Dec 11, 2004
Catalina 30 easy living
i know. it's garhauer ez whatever, but it still has nothing to do with leading the jib sheet aft and around the turning block before it is wrapped around the winch. sorry, but until you see the proper set up this is going in circles.

Jul 14, 2015
i know. it's garhauer ez whatever, but it still has nothing to do with leading the jib sheet aft and around the turning block before it is wrapped around the winch. sorry, but until you see the proper set up this is going in circles.
Sorry, I cannot please you. My setup wins races. You don't like, I'm sorry

mortyd

Dec 11, 2004
Catalina 30 easy living
sorry if i offended you, but since you are winning races, why ask us? i have my boat rigged per the manual and i ain't wiining races.

Jul 14, 2015
sorry if i offended you, but since you are winning races, why ask us? i have my boat rigged per the manual and i ain't wiining races.
Mo, This pic is not my boat, but it shows only the outside toerail track like I have. Most MK I models were set up this way. Not a track next to Cabin.
MK I.jpg

Nov 15, 2015
J J/30 Seward, AK
I was just trying to be funny. Here is my setup, although the sheet is currently tied off to cleat 1 foot behind winch. When it is going to winch, it does not rub coaming.
View attachment 119163
I just noticed that your jib sheet rubs on the stanchion before it hits the forward block. It also seems like that block might need to be moved forward to properly trim the luff of the jib?

Mar 10, 2015
Catalina 30 Moss Landing, CA
Patrick, just be aware that the load on the turning cheek block aft of the winch will be close to twice that of the straight line pull aft of the sail track fairlead block, and size it conservatively with proper backing. These thingies can explode if undersized with a heavy load, catapulting shrapnel forward.

Jul 14, 2015
I just noticed that your jib sheet rubs on the stanchion before it hits the forward block. It also seems like that block might need to be moved forward to properly trim the luff of the jib?
That is because it is sitting at the dock in that picture with it rolled up on the furler.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2009
Catalina 30 St. Croix
I use the track on the coach roof, from there to a block on the outer rail and then to the winch. I seriously race the boat with a 123% and the crew likes it. The leach comes in until it is kissing the forwar lower shroud.

dj2210

Feb 4, 2012
Catalina 30 Watts Bar
Here's a picture of the jib car, inner and outer track, turning block, and winch of a C30. Maybe this will help. I'm sure not everybody has this setup from the factory.

Attachments