Coolant in Engine Pan

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
Had a similar engine pan mystery for years and just solved it yesterday. Every now and then would find a spoonful of liquid below the engine. Liquid did not appear to be coolant or oil or diesel, so assumed seawater. Re-bedded everything in the area and never discovered source, until yesterday. It was a small leak under the engine in the bilge pump hose which passes through the engine pan area. The leak was only active while the bilge pump was operating which was seldom. My mystery solved.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
So went out and replaced the last 2 OEM hose today. The small elbow at the front of the engine and the formed large hose to the heat exchanger. Wasn't hard but used a bunch of towels for all the coolant spilling. After burping the system it seems like I'm in good shape.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2016
Catalina 2004 310 (Hull #250) BC
For the record, the coolant recovery hose attachment hole to the manifold was indeed blocked completely on my engine. 1/8" drill bit here I come. Add another item on the engine annual check list.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
No coolant under the engine after a week sitting since those last 2 hoses were replaced. Motor ran stong as always and after we got back in the slip looked dry still.