Converting Main Sail to loose foot

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
Well this has gone some where I didn't expect. I was interested in trying a loose foot this year since the sailing funds are a bit low till next winter. I will stick with the dutchman system for now also, not sure I'll like it but it is on the boat and will play with it first.

Last edited:

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Hey John, I'm sure it's going to be a long week for you.
Hoping for good weather for you this weekend!

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
After getting my 25 just the way I wanted it is when I moved up to my C30. When I started sailing the C30 I began making a list of things I wanted to change on it, things I had done on the 25.
Soon I found that things I thought important on the 25 were not on the C30 and vice versa.

One thing was the Genoa. At first I hated the 150 Genoa, just way to big so I kept it furled and planned to cut it down to a 135.
Turns out I was just used to the easy handling of the O’days 95% jib.
When @Scott T-Bird went sailing with me he showed me how to handle the larger Genoa easier. Once I got used to it there wasn’t a need to cut it down.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Once I got used to it there wasn’t a need to cut it down.
This is a classic example of “Give the new to you boat a chance”!

I say ‘Before you jump in and start changing your new to you boat’ give the boat some time to chat with you and be together. Sometimes you need to just sit in the cockpit and experience the location of the winches. You may discover they are in a good position rather then tearing them off to put on new ones. Every boat has it’s own vibe. Once you have taken the time to get in sync then you might be able to consider improvements, or you may discover what is there is pretty cool and not change a thing.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
Agree, we plan to really exercise her this season. I think the 25 taught us a lot and we will learn a bunch from the 310. I'm sure the sails will be fine, we definitely plan to enter the annual River Race again this year. It looks like we also might be able to hit a few spring series races also. Since I'm more interested in learning this will be all about discovery for us.

Got to check with the owner today on progress of stove installation work, there were some missing brackets he had to order so glad I made this part of the deal. Always something on a boat project!

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Another option is to simply take some power off the main sail, adjust the out haul, then put the main back into the full power position.
Make sure you tell me when you do this, I’ll be slightly to windward just before you slow down! :stir:

Apr 7, 2016
Beneteau First 305 Seward, Alaska
Judy B:

Thanks for the info. I had considered that I might need to install more mechanical advantage. One of my objectives in owning the Mariner is having an inexpensive platform on which to learn how to maintain and modify a sailboat. The larger goal is to learn what I need/want/don't want on the bigger boat in the future. My modification strategy is to start out simple and cheap, learn what I can, then if needed, make another small mod until I get it the way I want it. You are right - the boat had a footed main and no outhaul control. So my first try at adding a 2:1 outhaul didn't work (except when the sail is luffing). Your post indicates that I should install a 4:1 system. I'll just go ahead and do that.
Jwing, check out stingy sailor for all your small boat rigging needs. Nice diagrams and clean pictures to help you get the most out of the daysailor. I have referenced his site a bunch and I’m never disappointed.

jwing

Jun 5, 2014
ODay Mariner Guntersville
Thanks, 907Juice.
It's funny that you mentioned $tingy Sailor. That is the resource I used to design my outhaul. The $tingy Sailor built a 4:1 outhaul control, but advised that he thought it may be too complex and that a 2:1 "...isn’t as easy to trim as with multiple blocks, but it’s still easy enough." So I built a 2:1. I added a block on the clew where he shows the outhaul line passed directly through the clew grommet. Maybe the extra 13.6 sqft on my Mariner makes that much of a difference.

Here's the link to the $tingy Sailor's "Flatten Your Mainsail Foot with an Outhaul":
https://stingysailor.com/2018/06/09/mainsail-outhaul-solution-2/

May 3, 2008
Catalina 310 Catawba Island
The last time I sent the sails out for cleaning, I had Sail Care convert the main to loose footed. Did this because I was also about to order a stack pak - cradle cover (with lazy jacks) from Doyle.. Everything went great. Really miss that Dutchman - NOT!

Aug 16, 2016
Pacific Dolphin 24 Phoenix, Arizona
Jwing,
I used the outhaul kit for a Catalina 25 from Catalina Direct when I converted to a loose footed main.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Step one, remove the legacy installation from inside the boom.
Step two, get a couple of blocks from Garhauer to craft a nice 5:1 and some line to match.
Step three, install and go sail.
This is a way, way better installation than the original Catalina in-boom thing.
dsc00744.jpg

jwing

Jun 5, 2014
ODay Mariner Guntersville
Jwing,
I used the outhaul kit for a Catalina 25 from Catalina Direct when I converted to a loose footed main.
Thanks for the tip. Did you use the screws that Catalina provided for attaching the components to the boom? And if so, are you satisfied with how well they are holding?

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
The last time I sent the sails out for cleaning, I had Sail Care convert the main to loose footed. Did this because I was also about to order a stack pak - cradle cover (with lazy jacks) from Doyle.. Everything went great. Really miss that Dutchman - NOT!
We just did our first sail with the stack pack from St. Thomas to St. Croix, about 40 nm. Loved it. Reefed underway with no issues. Still have some little adjustments to do. We kept the footed mainsail and installed tracks on the boom. I'll post something soon.

Next test starts in a couple hours. 93 nm to St. Maarten.

Jesse