Compass Mount for Hunter 30

Jan 30, 2021
Hunter 30 Cooper River Marina
I’ve got a 1980 Hunter 30 (Cherubini) - in the process of overhauling its steering pedestal. I’m planning on replacing the broken control head with this part. Need to replace the compass too because it’s broken and looking for a way to mount it to the control head. Originally there was a sort of riser/dome thing that bolted to the control head and held the compass but this is cracked beyond repair. Are there replacements of the type of ”riser” that would allow a compass to be mounted to the pedestal? I’m not even sure what that part would be called. Is that considered a “binnacle”?

Any help pointing me in the right direction would be much appreciated. I haven’t picked any particular compass out but I’m agnostic as to the model as long as it can be mounted neatly to the 7” diameter pedestal.

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
You will definitely need the added plastic piece that mounts to the piece you have linked. The compass needs the clearance. I would recommend considering repairing the bookends piece. Mine was cracked on all sides from the compass mounting screws. I lined the inside of it with fiberglass, ground out the cracks, filled it in and finished. Looks new, a handful of hours of labor and about $20 in materials

Jan 30, 2021
Sounds like it’s worth a shot. What did you use to fill the cracks after you reinforced with fiberglass?

Dec 28, 2015
Fiberglass mat and west systems epoxy. Scuff it up really good and place rubber bands around it to tighten up the cracks then lay it in around the inner circumference. . I then used a Dremel to grind out the cracks then I filled it in with good old Bondo. Faired it with glaze, primed and painted. Predrilled holes for the compass.

Oct 30, 2011
Hunter Cherubini 27 Mason
I have a 1984 Hunter and broke that same piece taking the pedestal apart. Repaired it with PC11 epoxy, It's a simple 1-1 mix in paste form. It's available at most hardware stores

Jan 30, 2021
So far this approach is working out beautifully. Attached are some photos of the piece 1. beforehand with cracks all over, 2. with glass layup on the inside, and 3. after bondoing and sanding. It’s not the prettiest fiberglass layup by any means but it’s plenty strong enough and all hidden inside. Just need to paint it, which I will do when I get around to painting the rest of the pedestal.

Attachments

Dec 28, 2015
Spitting image of what mine looked like. Make sure you predrill the compass mounting holes appropriately so the cracks don’t come back. Congrats on saving some cheddar!