Compare the 35.5 to the 34

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alan

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 35.5 LI, NY
To Joe Wienecke

My 35.5 has a Yanmar 3GM30F which is a 27hp. It pushes along at hull speed in flat water. I don't think you can get better than that regardless of the engine.

Alan

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 35.5 LI, NY
To Joe Wienecke

My 35.5 has a Yanmar 3GM30F which is a 27hp. It pushes along at hull speed in flat water. I don't think you can get better than that regardless of the engine.

E

Ed

Even a NEW boat needs to be maintained.

I've only had the '83 H34 for nearly three years. I've done some work to it, but it hasn't been a maintenance hog or a money pit. The problems we've had were mostly due to a lack of sailing experience. Hopefully, as we become better sailors we'll have fewer problems. The iron keel isn't nice to look at out of water, but, it's now over 20 years old and looks like it will last another 50, perhaps more. The few leaks our boat has amount to less than a quart a week. I've been tracking them down one by one, but I'm not very concerned about them. I recently purchase a folding prop on ebay to replace the fixed 3-blade prop. I'm told it will reduce a significant amount of drag, and will reduce weather-helm while pointing. Overall, I'm quite please with the H34. It may have not been the best boat of its time, but I think there was very little (or nothing) quite as good for the MSRP. Even today, it's still a bargain at about $30K. Considering that we paid substantially less than $30K for her three years ago, I think we did well. That's my $0.02. I suggest you sail them both, then buy the one you like based on all the factors mentioned by most of the responders. I would ignor Daryl's comments, as he tends to see the glass half empty (and cracked) rather than half full. ;^) ~ Happy sails to you ~ _/) ~

E

Ed

Even a NEW boat needs to be maintained.

I've only had the '83 H34 for nearly three years. I've done some work to it, but it hasn't been a maintenance hog or a money pit. The problems we've had were mostly due to a lack of sailing experience. Hopefully, as we become better sailors we'll have fewer problems. The iron keel isn't nice to look at out of water, but, it's now over 20 years old and looks like it will last another 50, perhaps more. The few leaks our boat has amount to less than a quart a week. I've been tracking them down one by one, but I'm not very concerned about them. I recently purchase a folding prop on ebay to replace the fixed 3-blade prop. I'm told it will reduce a significant amount of drag, and will reduce weather-helm while pointing. Overall, I'm quite please with the H34. It may have not been the best boat of its time, but I think there was very little (or nothing) quite as good for the MSRP. Even today, it's still a bargain at about $30K. Considering that we paid substantially less than $30K for her three years ago, I think we did well. That's my $0.02. I suggest you sail them both, then buy the one you like based on all the factors mentioned by most of the responders. I would ignor Daryl's comments, as he tends to see the glass half empty (and cracked) rather than half full. ;^) ~ Happy sails to you ~ _/) ~

Jun 7, 2004
Hunter 34 Weymouth, Ma
I also had to do alot of work on my

Hunter 34 and it's been well worth it.. Couldn't agree with fred,ed and craig more..My wife is also letting me keep our boat. And I do go sailing all the time..

Jun 7, 2004
Hunter 34 Weymouth, Ma
I also had to do alot of work on my

Hunter 34 and it's been well worth it.. Couldn't agree with fred,ed and craig more..My wife is also letting me keep our boat. And I do go sailing all the time..

Jul 1, 1998
Hunter Legend 35 Poulsbo/Semiahmoo WA
34 or 35.5 - why not the Legend 35?

Joe - did you know there was a HL-35? It has some good points that are worth considering. First off, the points I like about the 34 are: 1. Dinette table - great for rolling out charts. I have lots of charts and I like using them, so for me this is a nice feature. I have come up with a work-around for the L-35, however, which is a full-size chart board made of birch plywood that breaks down into four sections for easy handling and stowage. 2. The non-walk through transom can be an advantage if you have bulky light-weight stuff to stow. 3. You'd have Fred Ficarra to answer ALL your fix-it questions! ;) And they are a fast boat.... well, fairly fast. (Fred beat me once. Okay, so it was the major race of the year!) The HL-35 came out between the 34 and the 35.5. The things I like about it are: 1. Lead keel 2. LARGE lazarette - room for a full-size non-folding(!) mountain bike, storm anchor and ground tackle, sail bags (spinnaker, 150, and storm jib), outboard (8hp), oars for dingy, fish net (to catch cat if it falls overboard, oh yea, and for fish, too). And - there is still room. Notice I like to carry *stuff* 3. Four golf-cart batteries: under aft berth. 4. ALL PLASTIC tanks (water, fuel, and holding). Read "never have to replace"! 5. *Plastic* thru-hulls: Read "never have to replace"! 6. Coachroof skylights - really nice in overcast weather. Really lightens up the interior. 7. Vanity sink in V-berth. Not to like: Barlow 24 primaries (fix: install Lewmar 43s and move the 24s aft for secondaries) 8. Walk-thru transom 9. Came standard with "varnished teak" on the interior - lighter color and easier to maintain 10. Very large counter top in head and lots of storage The 35.5 has: 1. dedicated shower stall 2. large windows on side of coach roof 3. Lewmar 43s for primaries 4. Walk-thru transom 5. Smaller lazarette lockers but with better access. On the L-35 I installed a mezanine to keep from loosing stuff down below. 6. Nicer interior wood finish 7. Life-line gate standard 8. Metal tanks On ALL boats, for proper comparison: 1. Check condition and shape of the sails. To replace sails it will cost probably over $5K. (Yikes) 2. Blisters - check for. All these models sail VERY well and you'll be pleased with their performance. hope this helps and maybe you'll give the L-35 consideration.

Jul 1, 1998
34 or 35.5 - why not the Legend 35?

Joe - did you know there was a HL-35? It has some good points that are worth considering. First off, the points I like about the 34 are: 1. Dinette table - great for rolling out charts. I have lots of charts and I like using them, so for me this is a nice feature. I have come up with a work-around for the L-35, however, which is a full-size chart board made of birch plywood that breaks down into four sections for easy handling and stowage. 2. The non-walk through transom can be an advantage if you have bulky light-weight stuff to stow. 3. You'd have Fred Ficarra to answer ALL your fix-it questions! ;) And they are a fast boat.... well, fairly fast. (Fred beat me once. Okay, so it was the major race of the year!) The HL-35 came out between the 34 and the 35.5. The things I like about it are: 1. Lead keel 2. LARGE lazarette - room for a full-size non-folding(!) mountain bike, storm anchor and ground tackle, sail bags (spinnaker, 150, and storm jib), outboard (8hp), oars for dingy, fish net (to catch cat if it falls overboard, oh yea, and for fish, too). And - there is still room. Notice I like to carry *stuff* 3. Four golf-cart batteries: under aft berth. 4. ALL PLASTIC tanks (water, fuel, and holding). Read "never have to replace"! 5. *Plastic* thru-hulls: Read "never have to replace"! 6. Coachroof skylights - really nice in overcast weather. Really lightens up the interior. 7. Vanity sink in V-berth. Not to like: Barlow 24 primaries (fix: install Lewmar 43s and move the 24s aft for secondaries) 8. Walk-thru transom 9. Came standard with "varnished teak" on the interior - lighter color and easier to maintain 10. Very large counter top in head and lots of storage The 35.5 has: 1. dedicated shower stall 2. large windows on side of coach roof 3. Lewmar 43s for primaries 4. Walk-thru transom 5. Smaller lazarette lockers but with better access. On the L-35 I installed a mezanine to keep from loosing stuff down below. 6. Nicer interior wood finish 7. Life-line gate standard 8. Metal tanks On ALL boats, for proper comparison: 1. Check condition and shape of the sails. To replace sails it will cost probably over $5K. (Yikes) 2. Blisters - check for. All these models sail VERY well and you'll be pleased with their performance. hope this helps and maybe you'll give the L-35 consideration.

Jul 1, 1998
My Post errata

on my post about the L-35 - the golf carts under the aft cabin berth were added. It came standard with two-group 24s. Installing the golf carts was a challenge because of clearances but it is possible to get battery boxes to fit and they will fit under without raising the height of the berth. There is also room further aft for up to a group 27 size start battery which makes for a lot of Amp-hrs. Also, I have a picture of Fred finishing in front of me at the '89 first-ever Hunter Rendezvous but I can't bare posting it! *cry

Jul 1, 1998
My Post errata

on my post about the L-35 - the golf carts under the aft cabin berth were added. It came standard with two-group 24s. Installing the golf carts was a challenge because of clearances but it is possible to get battery boxes to fit and they will fit under without raising the height of the berth. There is also room further aft for up to a group 27 size start battery which makes for a lot of Amp-hrs. Also, I have a picture of Fred finishing in front of me at the '89 first-ever Hunter Rendezvous but I can't bare posting it! *cry

Jan 7, 2004
Hunter 31 Kingsville, Ontario, Canada
Hnuter 34 vs 35.5

Joe With all that has been said on this topic it boils down to sailing each and choosing - I don't think you'd go wrong with either! The iron keel really isn't a huge issue in your area (fresh water). I have a H31 (...which is the baby brother to the 34 and I love it!) I have watched Daryls comments on this site and he is allowed his opinions. I have owned many boats of different manufacture and believe me they ALL need maintenance and repairs and they ALL have production issues of one type or another! I believe in buying as cheaply as possible, rebuilding the boat to MY specifications and having what I want! My current Hunter is the most enjyable boat I have owned ( number 16 or 17 in as many years! ) and my wife has finally said that this is the keeper! I bought the boat as a neglected derelict and have completely rebuilt her from the inside out and what I have found is the Hunter is a moderately well built boat definately in the league of the Catalina's, Columbia's, C & C's, etc.,(I know having owned all the above and more...) They all have problems, they all require repairs and maintenance after 20+ years.....the best part is that I have a boat that races well, cruises well and I'm into it for about $15,000.00 (Canadian! Dollars) and lot's of labour of course! So - buy the boat that strikes you as the best for your needs after sailing them and looking them over - all of our opinions are just that - opinions but YOU have to be satisfied with the boat! Enjoy - and Merry Christmas to all and remember those that cannot be with us this Christmas Season and Happy Sailing! Mike H 31 "Bear's Mistress"

Jan 7, 2004
Hunter 31 Kingsville, Ontario, Canada
Hnuter 34 vs 35.5

Joe With all that has been said on this topic it boils down to sailing each and choosing - I don't think you'd go wrong with either! The iron keel really isn't a huge issue in your area (fresh water). I have a H31 (...which is the baby brother to the 34 and I love it!) I have watched Daryls comments on this site and he is allowed his opinions. I have owned many boats of different manufacture and believe me they ALL need maintenance and repairs and they ALL have production issues of one type or another! I believe in buying as cheaply as possible, rebuilding the boat to MY specifications and having what I want! My current Hunter is the most enjyable boat I have owned ( number 16 or 17 in as many years! ) and my wife has finally said that this is the keeper! I bought the boat as a neglected derelict and have completely rebuilt her from the inside out and what I have found is the Hunter is a moderately well built boat definately in the league of the Catalina's, Columbia's, C & C's, etc.,(I know having owned all the above and more...) They all have problems, they all require repairs and maintenance after 20+ years.....the best part is that I have a boat that races well, cruises well and I'm into it for about $15,000.00 (Canadian! Dollars) and lot's of labour of course! So - buy the boat that strikes you as the best for your needs after sailing them and looking them over - all of our opinions are just that - opinions but YOU have to be satisfied with the boat! Enjoy - and Merry Christmas to all and remember those that cannot be with us this Christmas Season and Happy Sailing! Mike H 31 "Bear's Mistress"

Jul 1, 1998
Fred..... I can't do it! .... I can't do it!

.... it hurts! *cry hmmmmm.... wonder if I could edit the picture???? let me think about this.

Jul 1, 1998
Fred..... I can't do it! .... I can't do it!

.... it hurts! *cry hmmmmm.... wonder if I could edit the picture???? let me think about this.

T

tom rahaim

why not look larger

the price of the 35.5 is close to the mid eighties hunter 40-- If you like the 34 then you will really like the forty- it is just a 34 on steriods- without the compression post problems- they can be found loaded for about 58-66,000

Status
Not open for further replies.