Compare the 35.5 to the 34

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 7, 2004
Hunter 34 Selby Bay
Lead is much more dense, and...

Doesn't rust. However, it's more prone to disfigurement and breakage in a hard grounding. Most sailors prefer a lead keel to an iron one, even if lead is a bit more expensive. ~ Happy sails to you ~ _/) ~

Jun 7, 2004
Hunter 34 Selby Bay
Lead is much more dense, and...

Doesn't rust. However, it's more prone to disfigurement and breakage in a hard grounding. Most sailors prefer a lead keel to an iron one, even if lead is a bit more expensive. ~ Happy sails to you ~ _/) ~

Jun 3, 2004
- - USA
Keel Response

The h34 has a cast iron keel that was coated at the factory. The iron is poor quality, likely recycled from something else and probably began to rust before the boat building process was complete. Because the density of iron is less than lead the keel needs to be larger to have the same weight. This keel continues to rust forever and looks like hell when the boat is hauled. It needs constant attention on an annual basis and costs bucks to maintain. Several production boats used iron to save money. It will likely last forever without many complications. Lead is the material of choise, will never rust, has higher density and is the industry standard.

Jun 3, 2004
- - USA
Keel Response

The h34 has a cast iron keel that was coated at the factory. The iron is poor quality, likely recycled from something else and probably began to rust before the boat building process was complete. Because the density of iron is less than lead the keel needs to be larger to have the same weight. This keel continues to rust forever and looks like hell when the boat is hauled. It needs constant attention on an annual basis and costs bucks to maintain. Several production boats used iron to save money. It will likely last forever without many complications. Lead is the material of choise, will never rust, has higher density and is the industry standard.

Jun 3, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Lake Lanier, GA
Yanmar diferences

Joe, You had asked the diference between the 24 and 27 hp Yanmar engines. Both should be 3GM series. The 24 should be a 3GMF and the 27 a 3GM30F. The major difference is in the displacement of the engine. Pat McCartin Inland Marine Diesel Buford, Ga imd_ga@hotmail.com

Jun 3, 2004
Yanmar diferences

Joe, You had asked the diference between the 24 and 27 hp Yanmar engines. Both should be 3GM series. The 24 should be a 3GMF and the 27 a 3GM30F. The major difference is in the displacement of the engine. Pat McCartin Inland Marine Diesel Buford, Ga imd_ga@hotmail.com

Jun 3, 2004
Power difference

Joe, I don't think you'll notice the difference between the two. The 27 makes about 40 ft/lb of torque and the 24 makes about 35 ft/lb. It would be nice if the lighter boat had the smaller engine. Then again it always leaves you a project if you are feeling low on HP. Pat McCartin Inland Marine Diesel Buford, Ga imd_ga@hotmail.com

Jun 3, 2004
Power difference

Joe, I don't think you'll notice the difference between the two. The 27 makes about 40 ft/lb of torque and the 24 makes about 35 ft/lb. It would be nice if the lighter boat had the smaller engine. Then again it always leaves you a project if you are feeling low on HP. Pat McCartin Inland Marine Diesel Buford, Ga imd_ga@hotmail.com

Dec 2, 2003
- - Seabeck WA
And Joe, more points,

Not ONCE, EVER, have I defended the iron keel. I have written here many times that it is the greatest disappointment I've had with my boat. I had committed to ordering the boat before I learned it had an iron keel. I was stunned. Yep, I still remember that sick, empty feeling. THERE, DARYL, I said it yet again! He just doesn't remember things that aren't on his agenda, like slamming the H34. OK, that said, MINE DOESN'T LEAK A DROP. Why? Design. And I know how to fix a damn leak and not just complain about them. Funny, why is it that I know when Daryl is writing something without looking for his name? One more thing. Design. I don't know anything about the 35.5 but a open transom is HUGE. It's a major plus. Back to keels. A wing keel is a major negative compared to a fin keel regardless of what the fin is made of. The fin will be faster. A 'wing' won the Americas Cup because of the 12 meter rule, in that draft was restricted to 5.5 feet or so, regardless of keel design. So, no restriction, no contest. The deep fin will be faster. OK guys, Rich says the 35.5 is faster in light air than the 34. Al says the 35.5 loves heavy air. These boats are very similar in design. How can both statements be true? I think the H34 is tender. But check out the mast height. You'd be tender too. And in light air? I've rarely been passed. Mostly by sleds. And back to the keel. I've gotten good at patching it up. Rust is very limited at haul-out. Modern materials are an even bigger reason for less rust on my boat than any skills I might have gained. So, if you don't want to go through a learning curve, just glass it in. End of problem. Hey, anyone here want to form a 'price club' to get a cut-rate on a bunch of new lead keels for the H34, from Mars Metals? I still want lead! While were at it, how about a group purchase of new carbon fiber masts? Or, we could,,,,

Dec 2, 2003
- - Seabeck WA
And Joe, more points,

Not ONCE, EVER, have I defended the iron keel. I have written here many times that it is the greatest disappointment I've had with my boat. I had committed to ordering the boat before I learned it had an iron keel. I was stunned. Yep, I still remember that sick, empty feeling. THERE, DARYL, I said it yet again! He just doesn't remember things that aren't on his agenda, like slamming the H34. OK, that said, MINE DOESN'T LEAK A DROP. Why? Design. And I know how to fix a damn leak and not just complain about them. Funny, why is it that I know when Daryl is writing something without looking for his name? One more thing. Design. I don't know anything about the 35.5 but a open transom is HUGE. It's a major plus. Back to keels. A wing keel is a major negative compared to a fin keel regardless of what the fin is made of. The fin will be faster. A 'wing' won the Americas Cup because of the 12 meter rule, in that draft was restricted to 5.5 feet or so, regardless of keel design. So, no restriction, no contest. The deep fin will be faster. OK guys, Rich says the 35.5 is faster in light air than the 34. Al says the 35.5 loves heavy air. These boats are very similar in design. How can both statements be true? I think the H34 is tender. But check out the mast height. You'd be tender too. And in light air? I've rarely been passed. Mostly by sleds. And back to the keel. I've gotten good at patching it up. Rust is very limited at haul-out. Modern materials are an even bigger reason for less rust on my boat than any skills I might have gained. So, if you don't want to go through a learning curve, just glass it in. End of problem. Hey, anyone here want to form a 'price club' to get a cut-rate on a bunch of new lead keels for the H34, from Mars Metals? I still want lead! While were at it, how about a group purchase of new carbon fiber masts? Or, we could,,,,

Jun 3, 2004
- - USA
Fred followup

Fred you seem very defensive about my postings. I can't think of a better coastal boat in this size range that can be had for $30k. Mine served me well for ten years but needed constant attention to some of the items I addressed here. I respectfully suggest that if you added to cost of a lead keel and carbon fiber rig to the potential sale price of yor boat you could easily own a better vessel. Perhaps this update is necessary so you can have $100k invested? Potential owners who like working on their boats are well suited for h34's. Anyone who would rather go sailing should consider something else even if the initial cost is 25% higher.

Jun 3, 2004
- - USA
Fred followup

Fred you seem very defensive about my postings. I can't think of a better coastal boat in this size range that can be had for $30k. Mine served me well for ten years but needed constant attention to some of the items I addressed here. I respectfully suggest that if you added to cost of a lead keel and carbon fiber rig to the potential sale price of yor boat you could easily own a better vessel. Perhaps this update is necessary so you can have $100k invested? Potential owners who like working on their boats are well suited for h34's. Anyone who would rather go sailing should consider something else even if the initial cost is 25% higher.

C

craig

my take

I bought my 1987 34 in 1999..the first yr or two, it spent alotta time bringing it back to like new condition...the last two yrs i have done very limited maintenance..i spend about two hours on the bottom in the spring, sanding and touching up the bottom...people make one think you spend days on this stuff...not true...my keel looks fine and thats all the time i give it...in fact the entire bottom looks fine...once i got my 34 to my standards, i have to say its been a very nice boat...all boats need yrly attn...you have to expect that..to sit here an criticize hunter and this model in my view is a joke....find a nice hull, check out the compression post an buy it....enjoy it...i've had mine for six seasons and my nonsailing wife WOULD NOT LET ME SELL IT AND MADE ME MOVE IT TO OUR RETIREMENT HOME. that speaks for itself...good luck

C

craig

my take

I bought my 1987 34 in 1999..the first yr or two, it spent alotta time bringing it back to like new condition...the last two yrs i have done very limited maintenance..i spend about two hours on the bottom in the spring, sanding and touching up the bottom...people make one think you spend days on this stuff...not true...my keel looks fine and thats all the time i give it...in fact the entire bottom looks fine...once i got my 34 to my standards, i have to say its been a very nice boat...all boats need yrly attn...you have to expect that..to sit here an criticize hunter and this model in my view is a joke....find a nice hull, check out the compression post an buy it....enjoy it...i've had mine for six seasons and my nonsailing wife WOULD NOT LET ME SELL IT AND MADE ME MOVE IT TO OUR RETIREMENT HOME. that speaks for itself...good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.