Commissioning tasks and ongoing improvements of a 83 Cat 22 from trailer to saltwatercamper

Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
Bottom update: Went over the side and under yesterday, only a few tiny barnacles along the port stern quarter on the bootstripe. Classic Catalina stern squat allows it to stay wet when moored. Otherwise only one small oyster (knocked off) on port keel hanger (did not paint it heavily with antifouling on purpose, avoiding electrolysis) But zinc anode bolted to keel nearby is still 75% there. Otherwise only slime all over, brushed it off. And a little soft scrub and sponge along port side (in shade at dock)stern to remove some algae on gel coat and stripe.
Will take it out for speed trial today. This is just about 2 years on a double coat of Trinidad SR copper bottom paint.

Sep 14, 2014
Got bored on a rainy day and decided to make a Seagull decal for the stern on my computer with sticky back printer paper. Its got a seagull graphic with a roman numeral 3 on its breast. Looks pretty good I think. Easier to do than I thought just had to play around with size and orientation to get it (IMO) artistically right.
20160920_160749.jpg

Sep 14, 2014
Another thought that occurred to me, when I decided to properly tune the rigging per the manual, I set the rake using a plumb-bob from the main halyard and actually marked the spot on the boom that matched the specs for a swing keel which is different for other keels , you can see it in sharpie on the boom in the picture.
Mast rake mark.jpg

Aug 16, 2016
Catalina C22 Panama City, Fl
How are you keeping the sail slides from falling out of the mast when you douse or reef? It looks like a long gap between the boom and the bottom slide.

Geoff

ps; had a sea gull on my sea sprite, didn't always start right away. That was a pain cuz no recoil start rope. Had to wind it by hand each try.

Sep 14, 2014
Sail stop in slot, holds slides in just above the gate, to remove sail lower sail stop and remove. Another sail stop is just below the boom goose-neck. When you hoist the sail you move the one below the goose-neck down to allow adjustment of the down haul. Key to seagull is clean fuel, and dry plug, run it dry each time to stop. Nice thing about no recoil starter is you can use any old bit of rope in an emergency. I had to use my silver century when the PO motor died. It had been sitting on a stand in the basement for about 9 years, put in fresh fuel, cleaned the plug, pulled it through and it started on the second pull! Not pretty but there in the clutch (sorry about the pun,only has in or out of gear). Pix on newest boat
O Leaving under Seagull power.jpg

Aug 16, 2016
Catalina C22 Panama City, Fl
Sorry i don't have a picture of it on my sprite to show but it looks to be the same model as yours. No recoil was a real pain as the time when it didn't start right up I was drifting down into the sub docks at Groton with a marine locked and loaded yelling for me to get out of here or he would have to fire on me!! Can't tell you how hard I pulled that silly rope!!

Geoff

Sep 14, 2014
All I can say any motor you leave laying around for 10 years at a time and will start when you need it is a keeper. Mine is back in the garage again till I need it. Only problem will be points replacement some century! Have not seen any around on line.

Sep 14, 2014
Well ended the year as usual, a nice little sail with temps in upper 50s and wind about 5-10 from the bitter north but sunny out. Back in at sunset to end the year. Had so much fun I forgot to take any pictures. Happy New year to fellow Cat 22 owners in or out of the water.

Sep 14, 2014
All dressed up for Xmas, and will pull off lites and bow at little Xmas (Jan 6). Probably go for a sail too!
20161217_213258.jpg

Sep 14, 2014
With the poor weather of late, I have done a few more mods to the boat. Added a AC power inlet that I will post the pictures of in a bit. Just one teaser of the final step. Inside the front of the port side cockpit pocket.
Power inlet project 5 shore power in, power strip (1).jpg

Sep 14, 2014
For you in the great white north, went out for brief sail Friday, 5-10 knots from the North, seas 1-2 and balmy 62 degrees til dark. Tonite will get down to 40 so decided not to anchor out for night. But I did install the latest project on board , stbd side of v-berth bulkhead. New 2 compartment hanging storage with breathable mesh front for linens etc. Short job with afternoon of sewing. Nylon thread and vinyl
20170203_133153.jpg
backed canvas with snaps for closure and to hang on teak trim.

Sep 14, 2014
When tightening the motor clamps on my motor mount board I noticed it was getting punky. PO had made up a sandwich of 2 pieces of 1 inch ply and painted it over with a coat of poor paint. I decided to make a ply sandwich of 3/4 inch so the motor mount would fit better and seal it properly. So i clamped the pieces then coated with two coats of polyester resin (because it is more resistant to UV damage than epoxy) and finally with 2 layers of white gel coat. Turned out quite nice. See below from rough to final. Note the black rubber washers on the bolts between the board and the metal of the mount. The single cylinder tohatsu vibrates a lot at low speed so you get a rumble through into the hull. Not anymore!
New motor mount board (1).jpg
New motor mount board (4).jpg
New motor mount board (6).jpg
New motor mount board (8).jpg

Nov 12, 2015
Catalina 22 Lake LBJ
nice job, I did something similar last year, but used epoxy and painted over it.

I'd like to add the rubber washers- do you have a source for those?

Sep 14, 2014
Tried every marine parts place in town, Found them 2 for a dollar at Lowes in the specialty extra thick rubber washer tray in specialty hardware section.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
IIRC, my B235 had a (maple?) 2 x 6 for an OB engine mount. I took it home, stripped it, epoxied it. Back on the boat, the epoxy cracked the first time I tightened the engine (8 hp Honda xls) . Stripped that off, used a wood sealing product, then slathered silicone all over the board. That lasted a couple years at a time, with minor additional dabs of silicone.

Sep 14, 2014
Yep that is why I used plywood clamped as a laminate and coated with polyester resin which is uv resistant, epoxy breaks down with UV , then my two coats of gel coat gave smooth finish for motor clamps.