circumnavigation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 29, 2011
Catalina 27 mobile
is anyone on this sit considering it?done it?its my life long dream.i may attemt it in my catalina 27.i had a 33 tahiti ketch that would would have been perfect,but lost it in a divorce.id like to hear what u all have to sey

Aug 29, 2011
Catalina 27 mobile
is anyone on this sit considering it?done it?its my life long dream.i may attemt it in my catalina 27.i had a 33 tahiti ketch that would would have been perfect,but lost it in a divorce.id like to hear what u all have to sey
its been done in some small boats,including a catalina 27..juggernout.man i wish i had ur boat for the trip though.

zeehag

Mar 26, 2009
1976 formosa 41 yankee clipper santa barbara. ca.(not there)
the catalina 27 named "my sweet lord" circumnavigated and returned i think in 1991 or 1990, but it was definitely beefed up a bit-- awe-fully small for that but would definitely be an adventure!!

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 34 Alameda CA
Four times around the globe since I've owned my Hunter 34. First 2 were on KLM....very nice flight attendants. Third time around was on Northwest....thought it was my grandmother providing the service. Last time was on Singapore Airlines...one thing they can't get away with in the US is when they get to be 25 years old, they fire them.

But you meant by your boat...this is nothing to be taken lightly. In my opinion it takes a lot of experience in all kinds of conditions to be prepared for the worst. If you have it then OK. I wouldn't recommend a standard cruiser /racer volume production boat though. You can't always tell how bad things can get prior to leaving. This means probably several years of progressively longer cruises and fully understanding how large a boat is required to hold all the required equipment. If you really want to go, find someone that has a proper equiped boat with experience and go with them. If you are compatable, keep going, if not, have a reserve to fly home from the first stop.

For those who advise you to just do it...not so prudent. You don't want to be the one to need a rescue far from land at someone elses expense or worse turn into a one way trip.

Good Luck with whatever you decide.

Allan

May 11, 2005
Seidelman S37 Slidell, La.
I am one who

would normally say just go for it. But doing it in a 27, is gonna be a challenge. I would strongly recommend at the very least do some serious beefing up of all the systems. Including you own bank of knowledge. Can it be done? Sure. Can be and has been. But if you think you want to give it a try, here's a suggestion. Find you one of the numerous thunderstorms out in the gulf in July and August. One of those with 60 mph winds, 10 to 12 foot confused seas, and lots and lots of lightning. The best area for me finding these seems to be about 100 miles or so off Port St. Joe, or Appalachicola, at three AM. See how you like one of these. Then imagine two to ten times as bad, for days on end. After that make your decision about doing it in your 27.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
You might read this book: http://www.amazon.com/Twenty-Small-Sailboats-Take-Anywhere/dp/0939837323

A Catalina 27 Tall rig is one of the boat's discussed. The book Ross mentioned is pretty good....Tania left with very little preparation and experiece.... but... she made it in her Contessa 26. The only thing I can say is...... don't spend your life getting ready to get ready... but if you try it in the C27, understand the shortcomings of the boat and do what you can to fix them before you leave.

Oversize rigging, extra cockpit drains, additional glassed in stringers to strengthen the hull, add a bridge deck, some kind of self steering system that doesn't depend on electricity... etc, etc. a lot of this is mentioned in the book.... but I'd do way more research than just that book.

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
There are two ways that people make circumnavigations. The first is deliberately and the second is quite by accident. There was a man on the wooden boat forum that made three circumnavigations and didn't really plan any of them he just kind of worked his way from one place to another for many years and would one day realize that he had crossed his outbound course. He said that many of the people he met had done that.

Sep 25, 2008
C30 Event Horizon Port Aransas
I just bought 'the sea worth sailboat'. There is a chapter dedicated to beefing up the C27 for circumnavigation.
I think one of the most important improvements you can make to your boat is a new solid rudder post.

Dec 1, 1999
Hunter 28.5 Chesapeake Bay
In thinking about long, blue water passages in small boats, do some thinking about "capsize ratios" and "comfort ratios..." Sure, it can be done in small boats and a number of people who have done it are the models used to prove the case. But would you want to? I used to own a wonderful little boat, an 23-ft Alberg-designed Sea Sprite. I knew a guy, Bob Gainer, who sailed his Sea Sprite across the Atlantic and then some. Would he do it again? Nope...

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Two factors come to my mind concerning a passage making boat. How much secure storage room does it have and how quickly will it come back onto its feet if it is rolled..

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
According to BOAT US, 40% of sailboats that sink at sea while underway due so from striking an object in the water. Only 8% sink from knockdowns in a storm. Of course, we don't how many boats strike an object in the water and do not sink, or suffer serious damage. But if you're destined to strike something, would you want be over the keel of a Contessa 26 or a Catalina 27? Obviously, sailing at night and/or being asleep, or below, without a watch-stander increases the chances of striking something.

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Striking an object in the ocean has to be in the catagory of hitting a tree in the desert. You can do it but you have to be very unlucky or realy work at it.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
None of the companies I've chartered with permit their boats out after dark. Ostensibly, this is due at least partly to concern over hitting something at night and damaging the boat. Maybe they know something we do not. But if that is so inconceivably minute of a possibility, then why do so many people carry life rafts? Why do so many race organizers require them for offshore races? Why does the CG require us to carry life jackets if the boat is not going to sink? The fact is, if one sinks his sailboat while underway, it's a 40% chance that it was caused by hitting something.

Sep 28, 2008
Canadian Sailcraft CS27 Victoria B.C.
The Contessa 26 is a better built boat than the Catalina 27. It is heavier, the bulkheads are bonded to the hull I believe, the rudder and steering is as simple and strong as it could be. It has a small companionway and the Catalina's is vast. All deck gear needs going over to make sure there are good backing plates. The Catalina is very good at what it was designed to do but it wasn't offshore use.

A Catalina or most any boat can be modified to be suitable - but is it worth it. I think you would be better off with a more suitable boat.

Sep 25, 2008
C30 Event Horizon Port Aransas
According to BOAT US, 40% of sailboats that sink at sea while underway due so from striking an object in the water. Only 8% sink from knockdowns in a storm. Of course, we don't how many boats strike an object in the water and do not sink, or suffer serious damage. But if you're destined to strike something, would you want be over the keel of a Contessa 26 or a Catalina 27? Obviously, sailing at night and/or being asleep, or below, without a watch-stander increases the chances of striking something.
That covers 2 instances that cause sinking at sea 48% of the time. What is the other 52%? Maybe we should be more concerned with that/those causes?
I am concerned with the keel on my C30. So I glassed an inch more on the leading edge and 1/4" along the sides to try to secure it more. I am not going to replace my rudder post, but I intend to slide another thick walled pipe inside it with a threaded rod all the way through it and an angled spilt at the bottom that will cause an expansion to hold it in place. All provided there is nothing in the current rudder post to prevent this.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 37-cutter, '79 41 23' 30"N 82 33' 20"W--------Huron, OH
You might want to ask around about your rudder mod Hermit. What happens to your boat if the rudder hits something and does not bend or break off? On my boat it would tear the stern out leaving an awful hole. Maybe yours is far enough above the waterline to not be an issue. I had my rudder rebuilt after bending it. While it was out I found a leak source, hairline cracks from those groundings(pictured).

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.