Choosing a hybrid wind/solar charge controller

Jul 1, 1998
Hunter Legend 35 Poulsbo/Semiahmoo WA
What wattage are those panels, John? ....They articulate similarly to yours, and this capability does make a world of difference, doesn't it!
They're 130W which was up from the earlier model at 125W. Guess the even newer ones are something like 135 to 140W and I would guess for the same size???
And, Yes, it does make a nice difference, especially early or late in the day.
On our Albin Vega, I plan to either put panels on a bimini, or build a rack similar to what these two Swedes have on their Vega
It would be nice to get the panels off the side because of the possible issue of easier theft, or perhaps a boat in a marina coming along side and damaging them. For a mounting up higher one issue I've always been concerned about is some line catching them, like maybe the topping lift if it was too loose, or who knows what. Of course, the same could be said of having them lower as the turning blocks for the spinnaker is right near where my panels are now, right under the covered outboard in the picture. Putting them overhead would allow for more panels then maybe enough power to run an electric outboard. Wouldn't that be nice?
As it is now, even on the good days, what I've got now would allow for dumping some excess power into the hot water heater if I had one of those 12DC/120VAC heater elements.
At the moment I've been using a water bag designed for heating water on the coachroof and dropping the hose down into the galley for washing dishes.
The sun is up there for all the free energy we can get.

Nov 26, 2012
Catalina 250 Bodega Bay CA
You seem to have a nice system John. Much like mine for a smaller sailboat. Don't you love the self sufficiency? Even if the suns not out my solar handles my reefer! Chief

Jul 1, 1998
You seem to have a nice system John.
Thank you for the appreciative comment.

Don't you love the self sufficiency? Even if the suns not out my solar handles my reefer!
Yes, the self sufficiency is a good feeling. We've been anchored out in some crowded anchorages and every morning and evening one can hear the powerboat generator noises over the water, even worse when downwind of them. In the meantime we just sit there on our quiet boat with the sun and the solar panels quietly doing their thing.

Due to the weather here being generally so cool and with cloudy/overcast skies most of the year it's the hot water problem that I'd like to work on next. Unfortunately, the same weather issue makes that task more difficult. Besides the 12VDC / 120VAC element, probably the cheapest and easiest solution will be to wrap the heater with some insulation material to help keep the water warmer longer.

Dec 29, 2008
Treworgy 65' LOA Custom Steel Pilothouse Staysail Ketch St. Croix, Virgin Islands
What I would really like to find is some sort of relatively inexpensive way to adjust the panel angle up and down via some device, perhaps 12v powered. As an idea, greenhouses typically have ceiling vents/hatches/(whatever) that have powered hinge-like gizmos to help maintain temperature or humidity.
John, I just this week installed this Firgelli Automations linear actuator to open our galley hatch. The hatch is about 8' above the sole, so opening and closing it had previously (for the past 14 years!) required going up on deck and taking out the 2x4 we had to prop it up. Now, from the galley we just use a rocker switch (on-off-on DPDT momentary) to raise or lower it however much we want. They have these ranging from 4" to 12" stroke, I think. That might be an option for you. So far I am thrilled with the results! You can buy them for less on Amazon. My 6" stroke model was $50.

Attachments

Last edited:
Jul 1, 1998
That might be an option for you. So far I am thrilled with the results! You can buy them for less on Amazon. My 6" stroke model was $50.
Thanks for the reference. The trick would be to come up with a hinge system that would allow the panel to move from a vertical down to an up ~ 45º plane, total 135º, or so. The load would be significant (probably akin to your skylight hatch?) so would need one of their long throw and a somewhat high-load model. They say they're good for "splash protection" but for this exposed application one would need some kind of weather-tight enclosure.
Thanks for the suggestion.

Dec 29, 2008
Treworgy 65' LOA Custom Steel Pilothouse Staysail Ketch St. Croix, Virgin Islands
The 6" model is rated to 230 pounds. Our hatch is about 45 pounds, but mounted near center doubles that weight, I'd say. But near-center mounting also allows the front to open to about 14". I've seen another application where they enclosed it in a flexible leather or vinyl (genuine Naugahyde?) boot. I may consider that as well. Good luck with your project.