Chicken Jibe

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
Oh, p'shaw.

That's Douglas Adams.
I thought it was Arthur Dent "said" it ;)

I have never seen or read any of Douglas Adams' works. I can tall that I am going to have to get a copy of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Do you recommend the book, radio drama or movie? :confused:

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
I thought it was Arthur Dent "said" it ;)

I have never seen or read any of Douglas Adams' works. I can tall that I am going to have to get a copy of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Do you recommend the book, radio drama or movie? :confused:
The character was Ford Prefect.

Book(s), of course.

Apr 8, 2010
Frers 33 41426 Westport, CT
In 20 knots of breeze both our boats are doing 10 knots.

All else being equal, I would rather JIBE in 10 knots apparent wind that TACK in 25!
Jackdaw, while I wholeheartedly agree that a 10kt apparent jibe is far preferable to a 25kt apparent tack, I'm going to have to call you out and say BS on reaching 10kts of boat speed in 20kts of breeze on a 36.7. I regularly race on a 36.7, and have never once seen the boat reach 10kts (and it's not like we don't race her hard and often, we took 4th in the NA's this past fall, and pulled it off with a 5 yr old dacron main :dance:).

the 36.7 is a good boat, but she's a one design club cruiser/racer, 10kts upwind just doesn't happen in that boat, ever.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Jackdaw, while I wholeheartedly agree that a 10kt apparent jibe is far preferable to a 25kt apparent tack, I'm going to have to call you out and say BS on reaching 10kts of boat speed in 20kts of breeze on a 36.7. I regularly race on a 36.7, and have never once seen the boat reach 10kts (and it's not like we don't race her hard and often, we took 4th in the NA's this past fall, and pulled it off with a 5 yr old dacron main :dance:).

the 36.7 is a good boat, but she's a one design club cruiser/racer, 10kts upwind just doesn't happen in that boat, ever.
Sorry, you missed my point, maybe it was not super clear.

When I said,
All else being equal, I would rather JIBE in 10 knots apparent wind that TACK in 25!
Was only about 'downwind' sailing. I was talking about the difference between jibing vs doing a chicken jibe. With a jibe you do so in 10 knots apparent. A chicken jibe is really a TACK, when you you turn upwind to do the CK, your apparent goes from subtractive (true - boatspeed) to additive (True + boatspeed).

In 20 knots we do 10 knots all the time downwind. Funny but in 20+ our little 260 is actually faster than the 367!

PS - What boat are you on??

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
4p:

The way I read that is not necessarily the actual total speed, but the mathematical differences. Whether it's 10 to 25 or 7 to 22 makes little matter.

But Jack can speak for himself. :dance:

Apr 8, 2010
Was only about 'downwind' sailing. I was talking about the difference between jibing vs doing a chicken jibe. With a jibe you do so in 10 knots apparent. A chicken jibe is really a TACK, when you you turn upwind to do the CK, your apparent goes from subtractive (true - boatspeed) to additive (True + boatspeed).
since the discussion was about performing a chicken jibe, and as we all agree it is really a tack and bear off, the procedure is therefore necessarily an upwind maneuver. Thus my issue, since you said you would be performing the maneuver at 10kts, that means 10kts upwind and tacking...

In 20 knots we do 10 knots all the time downwind. Funny but in 20+ our little 260 is actually faster than the 367!
If you are referring to 20kts true, and you're doing 10kts downwind under spinnaker then either my hat is off to you for pulling that miracle off as you would either be DDW seeing an apparent of 10kts, in which case I A) want to know who makes your chute and to B) have it measured for class rules before I ever race against you. Or you are not actually going DDW in 20kts of true wind and are in fact reaching up pretty far under the chute to achieve the highest possibly boat speed with no real regard to VMG to the mark, in which case I don't care what chute you have, welcome the chance to race against you, and would like to make a bar tab wager on the race before heading out :)

If you were meaning you hit 10kts of boat speed downwind in 20kts apparent wind, then I will not entirely dismiss your claim, but am still pretty skeptical as I don't recall ever going above 9kts downwind under the chute in any conditions, but given that we are generally a little pre-occupied with boat handling at times that would be possible, I cannot say it has never happened, just that we have never made notice of it happening (we also often race with a crew as small as 4, but usually 5 or 6, so time and spare eyeballs to watch the instruments is not always a luxury we have).

To your point about the 260, I have actually broken 10kts boat speed in my Hunter 27 one night last October on a beam reach in about 20kts of wind where I managed to get it up on a plane several times for as much as a minute at a time, haven't gotten the bill from the sailmakers for the repairs to the sheared off mast slides yet...

PS - What boat are you on??
Frequent Flyer, USA 52361

Oct 10, 2013
Beneteau 343 San Diego
Definition please?

There's the controlled jibe and the chicken jibe, plus a couple of others. My advise to beginners is to use the controlled jibe in light to medium air. In strong winds or gusty conditions my suggestions to beginners is to use the "chicken jibe" because it's a safer method. When they have confidence in jibing they can use either in strong or gusty conditions. Notice I didn't attach a value to what constitutes medium or strong winds -- what those values are to some folks is not what they are for others.

What jibing method do you guys prefer??
I've been sailing my whole life, or at least the last 50 years of it, and I have never heard of a "chicken jibe". Please define your terms.

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
I've been sailing my whole life, or at least the last 50 years of it, and I have never heard of a "chicken jibe". Please define your terms.
A chicken gybe does the same thing as a gybe, but without the boom violently swinging, because you took the long way around the gybe. ;)

i.e.- You turn your bow through the wind instead of your stern.

I hope this makes sense.

Oct 10, 2013
Beneteau 343 San Diego
A chicken gybe does the same thing as a gybe, but without the boom violently swinging, because you took the long way around the gybe. ;)

i.e.- You turn your bow through the wind instead of your stern.

I hope this makes sense.
That's not a gybe (jibe), that's a tack. Never heard it called that. Thanks.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
One needs to read this thread from the beginning... at least the original post... otherwise it makes one look foolish.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
Yikes!

Are we really going round again?!?!? :bang:

FourPoints, just for fun I looked up the website for the 2014 NA Championships and to my surprise, I noticed a name from the past. I'm pretty sure that Chuck Norris, skipper of Forte'/Tango went to high school with me, graduating a class ahead of me, I think. I have a vague memory of him, but the name stands out for obvious reasons. I'm figuring it's the same person since Glenview is our common home town.

Oct 3, 2006
Hunter 23 Philadelphia
I don't know a whole lot about the "bigger boats", but in my experience on things up to about 28 feet, gybing is all about keeping the boat moving - which means keeping on a broad reach until it's time to gybe- and then turning and letting the main OUT when you get to the other side. If i turn 90 degrees, from say 30 degrees off DDW, and make sure the sheet runs free, there's no BANG. Quite the opposite - the main is a flag in the wind, mostly depowered, and i can sheet in or head down accordingly. Gybes get scary to me when the sails are trying to turn the boat, and but the rudder is trying to keep it straight

I don't think you'd ever find me chicken gybe. Only heading up to heave-to and reef/drop the main.

Apr 8, 2010
Are we really going round again?!?!? :bang:

FourPoints, just for fun I looked up the website for the 2014 NA Championships and to my surprise, I noticed a name from the past. I'm pretty sure that Chuck Norris, skipper of Forte'/Tango went to high school with me, graduating a class ahead of me, I think. I have a vague memory of him, but the name stands out for obvious reasons. I'm figuring it's the same person since Glenview is our common home town.
Scott, I don't personally know Chuck (He's been pointed out to me before from across the YC, but we've never actually met), though many of my fellow crewmates do know him, I'm told he has a reputation for "doing things his own way", aka he takes a "non-traditional" approach to tactics and procedures, and I've heard he doesn't like to be told that he may be wrong... does that sound like the same guy to you?

I wonder if sharing the name of a living god that pushes the earth down every time he does a push-up has rubbed off on him?

As for the NA's, We didn't think it was too bad of result for being the only boat sailing bedsheets for the main ;) (my understanding is that every other boat competing actually purchased brand new laminate / composite sails in time for the event)

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
Ha!

I'm told he has a reputation for "doing things his own way", aka he takes a "non-traditional" approach to tactics and procedures, and I've heard he doesn't like to be told that he may be wrong... does that sound like the same guy to you?
That description could apply to just about anybody graduating from my high school in those days! ... Me included :redface::redface:

But, no, I never knew him well and that was more than 40 years ago. If it seemed like he could be 60, I'd not be surprised if it is the same guy. I looked on Classmates and found a profile that indicated he lives in Glenview and he describes himself as "sailor".

I also have a cousin whom I haven't spoken with in years. He lives in the Chicago area and my Aunt told me recently that he has a "bene-something ... benny-tow?" sailboat that he keeps downtown. She said it's "too big". She said my sailboat is "much better". My uncle then got on the phone and said basically the same thing. I had to laugh ... they bought a Newport 30 in the late 60's, which was my introduction to sailing on Lake Michigan. I always loved going out on their boat when I was young. They kept that boat forever, only selling it recently, I guess, as they are now in their 80's. They go out occasionally with John, but she grumbled "It's too big, but I don't have the heart to tell him". I've got to find out what he has ... I'm betting it's a beautiful boat!

Apr 8, 2010
That description could apply to just about anybody graduating from my high school in those days! ... Me included :redface::redface:

But, no, I never knew him well and that was more than 40 years ago. If it seemed like he could be 60, I'd not be surprised if it is the same guy. I looked on Classmates and found a profile that indicated he lives in Glenview and he describes himself as "sailor".

I also have a cousin whom I haven't spoken with in years. He lives in the Chicago area and my Aunt told me recently that he has a "bene-something ... benny-tow?" sailboat that he keeps downtown. She said it's "too big". She said my sailboat is "much better". My uncle then got on the phone and said basically the same thing. I had to laugh ... they bought a Newport 30 in the late 60's, which was my introduction to sailing on Lake Michigan. I always loved going out on their boat when I was young. They kept that boat forever, only selling it recently, I guess, as they are now in their 80's. They go out occasionally with John, but she grumbled "It's too big, but I don't have the heart to tell him". I've got to find out what he has ... I'm betting it's a beautiful boat!
Sounds like it's probably the same guy, I recall hearing he has some connection to Chicago, though I'm not sure where he keeps his 36.7 . He did use a charter for the NA's last year, so one would assume his boat isn't nearby.

And a Newport 30 to a Benet 36.7 isn't that much of a jump in size... Regardless, pretty impressive they kept it until their 80's!