Chain snubbers

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
I am not well versed in using all chain anchor rode. So I've been researching chain snubbers.

I find lots of different ways to do these, from two line systems making like a bridal, one line systems running down the chain. One line seems simpler, but looks to me like potentially more concerns with chafe and maybe less redundancy than the bridal.

Then there is the question of attaching to the chain. There are hooks and claws and more. Then some say better to just tie the line to the chain.

Anybody here run all chain? What do you think works best and why?

dj

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
We have an all chain rode.

Initially I used a simple chain hook, however after reading about snubbers, I opted to replace it with a Mantus chain hook. I used it for a few years. It is a large device and it did not run over the anchor roller easily. Mantus has a snubber pendant which is easy to use, runs over the anchor roller, and easily copied.

I spliced my own and have been happy with it. It is attached to a 25+ foot ½" nylon snubber which runs over the anchor roller.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
We have an all chain rode.

Initially I used a simple chain hook, however after reading about snubbers, I opted to replace it with a Mantus chain hook. I used it for a few years. It is a large device and it did not run over the anchor roller easily. Mantus has a snubber pendant which is easy to use, runs over the anchor roller, and easily copied.

I spliced my own and have been happy with it. It is attached to a 25+ foot ½" nylon snubber which runs over the anchor roller.
What do you use for chafe protection?

dj

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Dave, I bought the Mantus snubber. Two Nylon line bridle about 15ft. Attach to a hook that catches the chain link. With 105 ft chain in 15 ft of water 7-1. 20ft water 5-1. My rode is nylon 12 plait which no need for snubber.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
What do you use for chafe protection?

dj
The line is dyneema and the chafe protection is a dyneema cover. The cover is held in place by a few stitches and heat shrink tubing. The hardest part was determining the proportions, the first one I made was too short, longer is better.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
The line is dyneema and the chafe protection is a dyneema cover. The cover is held in place by a few stitches and heat shrink tubing. The hardest part was determining the proportions, the first one I made was too short, longer is better.
Can you get photos? A dyneema cover sounds like great chafe protection.

A question though, why dyneema line? I thought one of the main functions of the snubber line was to add elasticity in order to avoid shock loading on the chain? It would seem dyneema would not be so good for that?

dj

Jul 1, 2010
Catalina 350 Lake Huron
I bought a Mantus hook and spliced 2 x 8 plait nylon lines to it for a bridle. It will not do through the bow roller. I just reach over to attach it. The lines are 40' with marks at 10, 20, and 30. Usually set it at 20' unless we're expecting high winds. Then have the option to go longer. It's also nice to have the length as I can pull one side back to a center cleat to try and reduce rolling when wind and waves are different.

Only issue is the loose loop of chain rubbing against the bridle lines when we sail at anchor. When the lines are taught, it's like plucking a guitar string. Clunk clunk clunk gets transferred into the boat as the chain links pass over the line. If anyone has a fix for that I'd love to hear it.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
I bought a Mantus hook and spliced 2 x 8 plait nylon lines to it for a bridle. It will not do through the bow roller. I just reach over to attach it. The lines are 40' with marks at 10, 20, and 30. Usually set it at 20' unless we're expecting high winds. Then have the option to go longer. It's also nice to have the length as I can pull one side back to a center cleat to try and reduce rolling when wind and waves are different.

Only issue is the loose loop of chain rubbing against the bridle lines when we sail at anchor. When the lines are taught, it's like plucking a guitar string. Clunk clunk clunk gets transferred into the boat as the chain links pass over the line. If anyone has a fix for that I'd love to hear it.
So you have the Mantus hook with the rubber strap like this?:

1627832075662.png

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
How long have you had it and how do you like the rubber strap?

dj

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
I'm not understanding this statement well. I would think that the loose chain would be hanging below the lines of the bridal.

I envision reaching above the chain, attaching the hook, letting out the snubber lines and chain to where you stop the snubber lines and then you continue dropping chain to give the chain loop needed for the stretching of the nylon snubber line. So in my mind, the chain is below the snubber line. Can you explain to me how this is not the case?

dj

Attachments

Jul 1, 2010
Catalina 350 Lake Huron
One would think.. In reality, the boat moves around and the loose chain loop contacts 1 snubber line and clunks several times against it as the boat swings, then may repeat on the other side. This doesn't happen all the time but happens more in higher gusty winds. A single snubber may reduce this but not sure.

Jul 1, 2010
Catalina 350 Lake Huron
So you have the Mantus hook with the rubber strap like this?:
Yes, works great. I had to replace the rubber strap after about 2 years. They sent me one free of charge. New one has chaffe protection on it.

They also make a pretty nice bridle. Made my own for a lot less cash, but mainly did so because the lines on theirs are overkill for our 35' boat and I wanted more stretch than that.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
One would think.. In reality, the boat moves around and the loose chain loop contacts 1 snubber line and clunks several times against it as the boat swings, then may repeat on the other side. This doesn't happen all the time but happens more in higher gusty winds. A single snubber may reduce this but not sure.
Very interesting, thank you for this observation. John Harries also says both a bridal and single line can work but tends more towards the single line. This may just be the answer to push me to a single line snubber. I really don't like noises that can be avoided.

Having a back-up strap is easy enough to have on-board. My main problem with the Mantus hook is I have 10mm chain and Mantus only has SAE fractional sizes. Maybe I can get their dimensions and see if one of their sizes fits my metric chain. A good fit is essential here.

dj

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
...Only issue is the loose loop of chain rubbing against the bridle lines when we sail at anchor. When the lines are taught, it's like plucking a guitar string. Clunk clunk clunk gets transferred into the boat as the chain links pass over the line. If anyone has a fix for that I'd love to hear it.
I'm guessing you use 3-strand line, which twists under load. Use brait or double braid.

A bridle is standard on multihulls, but on monos you mostly get single line loading anyway and likely no reduction in yawing (too narrow). I would use a single line and focus on chafe protection. Easier to set and recover. Narrow bridles are trouble-prone.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
My friend Steve’s Anchoring 101

The Rocna. All 20kg of it with 100ft of chain. The rest of the world can debate all they like. When I pull into a place like Bodega Bay at midnight and the fog is so thick I can't see the jetty 50 feet away to make an entrance, I drop my hook in the rolling ocean swells with the surf crashing (Foster says it's like staying in a cheap Best Western beside the highway), and I sleep. And in the morning I have a windlass to pull the beast up and I wouldn't trade it for anything. (I also wouldn't add more chain - this works perfectly in 25 to 30 feet of water - you let all the chain out and you tie off nylon at the preferred scope and don't bother with snubbers and chain hooks and all that stuff...)

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
My friend Steve’s Anchoring 101

The Rocna. All 20kg of it with 100ft of chain. The rest of the world can debate all they like. When I pull into a place like Bodega Bay at midnight and the fog is so thick I can't see the jetty 50 feet away to make an entrance, I drop my hook in the rolling ocean swells with the surf crashing (Foster says it's like staying in a cheap Best Western beside the highway), and I sleep. And in the morning I have a windlass to pull the beast up and I wouldn't trade it for anything. (I also wouldn't add more chain - this works perfectly in 25 to 30 feet of water - you let all the chain out and you tie off nylon at the preferred scope and don't bother with snubbers and chain hooks and all that stuff...)
If I'm understanding correctly, Steve is using the chain/nylon rode anchoring system. It's an age old system and has it's benefits and drawbacks. I used that identical system for years. It's a great way to anchor in a lot of cases, but there are cases where it's not the better answer.

In this thread, I'm not really interested in entering into the age long debate of what anchoring system is best. I've listened to them ad nauseum and I've made my choice and decision. I'm going with all chain and am really looking to gain insights into the pro's and con's of that specific system, and more specifically, the use of snubbers with their inherent limitations.

dj

p.s. I'll actually have both systems on my boat. My primary bower will be all chain and my secondary anchor will be the chain rode combination.

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2010
Catalina 350 Lake Huron
I'm guessing you use 3-strand line, which twists under load. Use brait or double braid.

A bridle is standard on multihulls, but on monos you mostly get single line loading anyway and likely no reduction in yawing (too narrow). I would use a single line and focus on chafe protection. Easier to set and recover. Narrow bridles are trouble-prone.
I am using 8 brait. Yes the angle is too narrow

dLj

Mar 23, 2017

I appreciate the advice, and I believe that is the way to go.

So at this point I think I'll go with the single line snubber, I'm still very much on the fence of how to attach it to the chain. There are proponents of just tying the line to the chain and there are those that use connectors. So far, no one has commented on tying the line to the chain. Proponents indicate that does not create a stress riser at the connection. That is something I'm very interested in exploring.

dj

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
I use a simple chain hook and a single triple twist nylon line. One issue I have with the hook is that I sometimes have difficulty attaching it to the chain that has already passed through the bow roller- its a reaching/stretching issue over the bow seat and down to the chain. The other issue is that under light air, low current conditions, somehow the chain hook becomes unattached after anchoring. Since the chain hangs on the chain hook, I don't understand how this can happen, but it does.

I use one like pictured here with a shackle and a 15 foot 3/4" line with a stainless steel thimble.

Chain Hook.jpg