Chain snubbers

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
@Stu Jackson - just a FYI - I'm reading his graphs. It will take me some time to digest it. One of his primary conclusions however, is to increase the size of your anchor. That I've already done. The spade I'm putting on is two sizes above the recommended size for my boat. Regarding other aspects of your post above. I'll get back to you. Oh, forgot - thank you for taking the time to look at this and provide valuable feedback.

dj

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
I think I've used every possible attachment method, cruising and testing.
  • The best method is often boat specific. It depends on the geometry of the bow or anchor handling area. I don't use the same methods on every boat I sail.
  • A simple hook WILL fall off if it rests on the bottom, which will happen with multihull bridles and monohulls that use long snubbers. I've had it happen rather frequently, so I now only use locking methods, but if you use a short snubber, anchor deep, and keep the weight of the lazy chain loop on it, they can be handy.
  • I have some locking hooks I like, but none of them come over the rollers well. They seem to work best for multihulls, which are NOT handling the snubber around the forestay.
  • My favorite method, when I need to recover the snubber over the roller, is a climbing sling and a prusik hitch. Faster than a knot. Won't slip on chain until it breaks. Holds on rope to about 1500 pounds (you can double them if you need more). Smooth as silk over the roller. Can't jam.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
  • My favorite method, when I need to recover the snubber over the roller, is a climbing sling and a prusik hitch. Faster than a knot. Won't slip on chain until it breaks. Holds on rope to about 1500 pounds (you can double them if you need more). Smooth as silk over the roller. Can't jam.
I am very interested in this method. Can you point me to more information?

dj

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
@dLj Here's the photo. For size reference the flip-flop is a size 11.

This will go through a gypsy easily and depending on where the chain goes, in to a hawse pipe or just in to a locker there is no need to remove it if time is an issue.

Attachments

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
@dLj Here's the photo. For size reference the flip-flop is a size 11.

This will go through a gypsy easily and depending on where the chain goes, in to a hawse pipe or just in to a locker there is no need to remove it if time is an issue.
@dlochner Are you fastening this to the chain almost like the prusik hitch that @thinwater posted above?

dj

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
@dlochner Are you fastening this to the chain almost like the prusik hitch that @thinwater posted above?

dj
Yes. A Prussik knot is sort of like a cow hitch with more wraps. On rope the extra wraps are necessary to develop enough friction. On chain the shape of the chain and the links hold with only one wrap. If you check the Mantus site their instructions for using the pendant on rope is to add wraps, in the same manner as a Prussik knot.

The Prussik knot is handy on a boat. For example, it can be used to take a load off a sheet to free a foul wrap. @thinwater is considerably more knowledgeable about knots like the Prussik.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
I do have a bobstay on my new boat, although I'm not sure it would matter here as the chain roller is forward of it. Certainly if my anchor dropped aft of it, I'd have to go to a bridal.

I'm not sure I'd classify John Harries as 'not the brightest bulb in the string". That's where I first read of tying the snubber on.

Do you use a chain brake? I've seen those and find they may be an interesting addition. How do you secure your chain beyond having it on the windlass?

Like I said, I've not a lot of experience using all chain rode, but I'm learning....

dj
It is inadvisable to secure your ground tackle directly to the windlass. Our snub goes to one of the foredeck cleats. When the anchor is up, we use doubled lines with hooks that snap into the chain, attached to a stanchion base. If worse came to worse, I'd rather lose a stanchion than the windlass.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
So if you are dragging at night, are you raising the anchor or setting out more scope to stop the dragging? I can certainly see if you are pulling the anchor how you'd not be happy, but wouldn't you rather be adding more scope?

I'm not sure in the crowded anchorage, if time's of the essence, I might put a float on the end of the anchor line and drop everything in the water to come back for it later. If I have the time, I certainly want to pull the anchor in and for sure, I'd want to be able to stow everything in a hurry. In that case, with a tied snubber, I'd want to know ahead of time if it just passed tied right into my locker. So that means the knot needs to be such that it enters the chain hawser into the locker. I think that might be a problem, but for sure with hardware even less likely. That certainly speaks for the hook, darned easy to pull off and keep bringing the whole thing in...

By the way, there is no shackle on a tied snubber. Unless you are using the system that dlochner is talking about....

No matter, your scenarios must be thought of ahead of time and practiced to see how best to handle them.

dj
If you are dragging in a bit of a blow, you need to reassess your anchor tackle.
Personally, I'm much more worried about that up wind boat dragging down on me. If necessary, I can drop all my chain and buoy the end with a fender and be gone in a minute or two. But if you were to decide to let out more scope in a messy situation, you would have to lay on your chain alone while you untie the snub. With a hook it comes right up over the roller and can literally be disconnected from the chain in an instant and you are able to let out that scope immediately.
Most of my experiences have been in the dark and the wind shifts to blow into the anchorage. The seas get up pretty quickly, and one must be on the foredeck while it might be dipping under each wave. Staying aboard is of some concern, but trying to untie a knot that has really tightened on the chain seems dangerous and unnecessary.
Rodney bay west wind.jpg

Rodney Bay west wind2.jpg

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
If you are dragging in a bit of a blow, you need to reassess your anchor tackle.
Agreed. The question is, are you pulling in the anchor and resetting, or, it seems to me, you are more likely putting out more scope. Now some say, you put out a second anchor, but honestly, at this point I think you're too late... I've been in some mighty tough blows and I've no idea how I would have been able to set a second anchor. I guess with enough room, I could drop a second one while the first one is dragging and at some point I'd have enough scope on both, I guess. But that just doesn't seem like that's going to be a realistic solution.

Personally, I'm much more worried about that up wind boat dragging down on me. If necessary, I can drop all my chain and buoy the end with a fender and be gone in a minute or two.
Again also in agreement. Here is where I think the secured snubber is better. You can simply drop both and go, and you won't loose your snubber. With a hook, you'd have to pull in the anchor line, unhook, then drop the system. Heck at that point just pull in the system. But there's the problem, we're talking you don't have the time...

But if you were to decide to let out more scope in a messy situation, you would have to lay on your chain alone while you untie the snub. With a hook it comes right up over the roller and can literally be disconnected from the chain in an instant and you are able to let out that scope immediately.
Most of my experiences have been in the dark and the wind shifts to blow into the anchorage. The seas get up pretty quickly, and one must be on the foredeck while it might be dipping under each wave. Staying aboard is of some concern, but trying to untie a knot that has really tightened on the chain seems dangerous and unnecessary.
Now we disagree. Here's the advantage of the tied on snubber - you simply let out more scope. You don't have to bring in anything, no unhooking hooks, just let out more scope. Now, if your snubber is not long enough, you can simply tie more line onto the end and let it out.

I highly recommend you read John Harries Attainable Adventures web page. Yes, its a subscription but it's really inexpensive and really well done. As in, I think it is the single best resource I know of dealing with off-shore sailing I have seen anywhere.

dj

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
It is inadvisable to secure your ground tackle directly to the windlass. Our snub goes to one of the foredeck cleats. When the anchor is up, we use doubled lines with hooks that snap into the chain, attached to a stanchion base. If worse came to worse, I'd rather lose a stanchion than the windlass.
By the way, thanks for this. My new to me boat has a method of securing the anchor that I don't like at all. And I've been thinking about how best to do this. You've just answered, and I haven't even asked the question yet! Ha!

And no, for sure I do not secure ground tackle to my windlass.

dj

Mar 26, 2011

dj
Like Dlochner posted. Any climbing site or Animated Knots will show the knot. This is rope, but it works even better on chain.

For lighter boats, up to about 35 feet, a pair of climbing carabiners (wire gate) is faster and the climbing sling is cheaper (~ $7 for 22 KN Dyneema). I like the carabiners in this case, because I have two legs to join (trimaran) that are stored as separate legs (longer explanation)

A soft shackle is probably even better for chain.

Yes, a girth hitch will hold on chain. The prusik is only needed for rope.
1627992317985.jpeg
1627992348888.jpeg

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT

dj
I spliced my own dyneema loops (sling) for this purpose, and use them to form a prussik knot on the anchor rode and attach the loops with a large stainless spring-gated hook on the bridle/snubber lines. (1/4" dyneema has a breaking strength >5,000 pounds)
The hooks I use are more reliable than the D-shackle @thinwater shows, and quick to use one-handed. I use the largest size Wichard snap hook (it has a 3168 pound WLL)
This works on chain or rope rode, I use more than one loop wrap on the prussik when using rope rode, to avoid slippage.

Last edited:

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Like Dlochner posted. Any climbing site or Animated Knots will show the knot. This is rope, but it works even better on chain.

For lighter boats, up to about 35 feet, a pair of climbing carabiners (wire gate) is faster and the climbing sling is cheaper (~ $7 for 22 KN Dyneema). I like the carabiners in this case, because I have two legs to join (trimaran) that are stored as separate legs (longer explanation)

A soft shackle is probably even better for chain.

Yes, a girth hitch will hold on chain. The prusik is only needed for rope.
View attachment 196777View attachment 196778
You had originally said "a climbing sling and a prusik hitch " - I should have been more specific - I know the prusik hitch, I used to climb. I did not know what the climbing sling meant. I see now that you just meant the free end of the prusik hitch that gives you the sling part.

This is a really nice way to do this. I like it better than tying a knot onto the chain with the snubber line. To me it seems like the best of both worlds...

dj

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
(1/4" dyneema has a breaking strength >5,000 pounds)
I tied a Brian Toss designed soft shackle with 1/4” Dyneema SK-78 12-strand single braid line. Tested on a commercial test rig. I believe the failure occurred at 10400 lbs. I’ll need to pull out the data sheet. The failure occurred in the section of the buried splice. I chose to see if tapered or square cut buried ends made any difference. It does. As the knot was stretched the sharp bend in the untapered bury caused the strands of the tightening line to break around the ends of the buried edge. A tapered end would have corrected that weakness.

Mar 26, 2011
Why would you put a snubber on rope rode?

dj
You would not, or at least not for the same purpose. Heck, the bridle on my F-24 is Dyneema (long story--a Dyneema bridle reduces yawing in a breeze vs. nylon).

But you might attach a bridle (multihull) or a kellet (synchronize swing with boats on all-chain during wind shifts). You might even use a "snubber" to eliminate chafe on the fiber rode through the roller or chocks if you were going to be somewhere for a while. Primarily, Iuse it to connect the bridle on my F-24, and years ago, a bridle for my Stiletto 27. But I use it for the other reasons as well.

A good trick to know.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
or, it seems to me, you are more likely putting out more scope.
@dLj,

You keep saying this. I don't know why. If there is someone dragging down on me, I want out of Dodge right away, not to stay there only a bit further away, and before I did anything with my anchor, I'd motor off to one side if I could.

Let's take your primary with what you've said IIRC a twice oversized anchor (also a dubious choice, but a separate issue and discussion, though), and your 300 feet of chain in 20 feet of water, so you only have 100 feet of chain out.

How long will it take to let out your next 200 feet of chain? What's at the inboard end of that 300 feet of chain? A rope rode? How long? What connects it to the boat? Another line to a cleat or tied to something? Wouldn't it take twice as long to let 200 feet of chain out than pull up half of that length (100 feet)?

What if there are shallows or land behind you? What if there is another boat behind you?

Most authoritative resources indicate that if an anchorage is untenable, one of the best things to do is leave or relocate.

I think you need to reconsider this "Let more scope out and/or dump the whole rode system" a tad more.

Motoring off to the side and pulling UP your rode may well be performed in a much, much shorter time.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2011
@dLj,

You keep saying this. I don't know why. If there is someone dragging down on me, I want out of Dodge right away, not to stay there only a bit further away, and before I did anything with my anchor, I'd motor off to one side if I could.

Let's take your primary with what you've said IIRC a twice oversized anchor (also a dubious choice, but a separate issue and discussion, though), and your 300 feet of chain in 20 feet of water, so you only have 100 feet of chain out.

How long will it take to let out your next 200 feet of chain? What's at the inboard end of that 300 feet of chain? A rope rode? How long? What connects it to the boat? Another line to a cleat or tied to something? Wouldn't it take twice as long to let 200 feet of chain out than pull up half of that length (100 feet)?

What if there are shallows or land behind you? What if there is another boat behind you?

Most authoritative resources indicate that if an anchorage is untenable, one of the best things to do is leave or relocate.

I think you need to reconsider this "Let more scope out and/or dump the whole rode system" a tad more.

Motoring off to the side and pulling UP your rode may well be performed in a much, much shorter time.
A few more factors to consider.
  • Visibility. In the mid-west and east coast, after-dark thunderstorms are perhaps the most likely hazard. Like the darkest moonless night with rain added in. Moving is probably not safe, since you can't see anything.
  • Severity. If the wind is over 60 knots (common in thunderstorms) you are not going anywhere. You probably cannot motor into it, and if you could, you would have practically not control in close quarters.
  • Chop and hobby horsing. Often the advantage of increasing scope in shallow harbors is NOT bottom angle, it is disrupting the cycle and reducing the up-lift pulses on the anchor. You don't hear about this one a lot, but it can be a big deal.
So the solution may be location specific. Moving at the peak of a strong thunderstorm means you made a serious mistake, it may be more dangerous (will you put others at risk?) or impossible to move, and you may just need to live with the grounding (soft in many areas--just mud). You should have anchored in such a way that you were good for the duration, whatever that takes, whatever the bottom is.

And if adding scope takes more than the time it takes the line to run out, you've done something wrong. The snubber should be releasable from the inboard end (obviously) and quickly recovered over the roller or other. You do NOT need to untie the knot if you are in a serious hurry.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
So the solution may be location specific.
And if adding scope takes more than the time it takes the line to run out, you've done something wrong. The snubber should be releasable from the inboard end
Very good additions to the Options available and that need analysis. Thanks for those. More things for dLj to consider, rather than jumping to only one conclusion and good for him to know about.
I've had peopl drag down on me in 12-15 kt. breezes/zephyrs. :) Idiots, of course, but still...