CDI FF2

Jun 12, 2021
Hunter 240 Aqualand Marina, Lake Lanier
I am getting ready to pull the trigger on roller furling for my H240. I have settled on a CDI FF2 (probably without ball bearings) because of it's simplicity. I will need my jib modified with a luff rope and a UV protection strip added to the leech. Are then any recommendations for who should do the sail work? I think that I can do the fore stay work but I am not a sail maker. Any and all suggestions will be appreciated.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Local sail loft....that way they will measure, modify it and install it to be sure it fits properly into furler extrusion groove.

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2019
Oday 25 Milwaukee
You are really going to like sailing with the CDI furler . The FF2 takes a number #6 sailtape . The unit you are is pretty much the standard for all us sailing a 20' to 25' foot . In other words almost every sailmaker will be familiar with it . The ballbearings might be
a worthwhile upgrade .It is far more critical to have the furling line routed correctly. Use quality blocks and not just fairleads

• Helpful
Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
The hardest part of installing a CDI FF2 on my old Mac was getting the deck fairlead close enough so that the furling line exited correctly from the drum. All in the instructions from CDI. It was hard to get under the deck to secure the fairlead's machine screws with washers and nuts.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
There should be no modification to the forestay. As for the fair leads for the furling line, I use to install them with stainless steel screws but you will need to predrill

#6 lug tape. You will need to figure which way you unfurl the sail will determine which side the Sunbrella cover goes on. You will find a owners manual on the FF2 system under H 260 boat information

Jun 12, 2021
I have found a local sail shop (located at Snug Harbor boat dealer, Buford, Georgia). I have watched the Sailrite YouTube video on converting from hanks to luff tape. It looks straight forward and I won't have to shorten the luff on the jib. One issue I found is that CDI is wanting a toggle at both ends of my forestay. The Hunter 240 has a toggle on the bottom but a T ball on the top. Is this an issue or is CDI being overly cautious?

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
The part shown is a T ball top portion on the forestay. It goes through a black cap that is affixed to the top of the grey extrusion of the furler exiting to be attached to the turnbuckle within the furling drum. I introduced that ff2 furler to hunter and Catalina.

Jun 12, 2021
The part shown is a T ball top portion on the forestay. It goes through a black cap that is affixed to the top of the grey extrusion of the furler exiting to be attached to the turnbuckle within the furling drum. I introduced that ff2 furler to hunter and Catalina.
OK. I will ignore the CDI manual.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Unless it has changed since 2009 when I closed my business. Better yet, why not call CDI as they have a toll free number to Canada

Sep 30, 2016
Island Packet IP 44 Ventura, CA
I replaced my forestay on the 23.5 with a stock replacement from the store on this website. Fit perfectly. The original had no upper toggle and the replacement didn't either. The FF2 roller worked without issue. You will love the upgrade.

Jun 12, 2021
I replaced my forestay on the 23.5 with a stock replacement from the store on this website. Fit perfectly. The original had no upper toggle and the replacement didn't either. The FF2 roller worked without issue. You will love the upgrade.
Did you have to reduce the length of your sail's luff by 13 inches? I ask because I just noticed that in the CDI manual. I had assumed that all I had to do was replace the hanks with a #6 luff rope. It seems a rather broad statement to assume that every installation would require the same luff reduction.

Sep 30, 2016
Island Packet IP 44 Ventura, CA
Mine was not reduced. I had the FF2 and sails when I bought the boat. But it would probably be a good idea to shorten if you are taking the sail to a loft anyway. When the jib was fully unrolled it was lower than the lifelines, which could be a pain sometimes. Thirteen inches sounds about right.

Jun 28, 2018
Hunter 23.5 Winnipeg
It seems a rather broad statement to assume that every installation would require the same luff reduction.
Hello, thanks for choosing CDI! We are referring to the luff extrusion requiring a 13" deduction, not the luff of your sail. This measurement takes into account the hardware of the furler so it will always be the same. You also do not require a toggle at the top of your forestay, any secure fitting should be fine. We've updated our manuals to show this, available as a PDF on our website. www.sailcdi.com

Jun 12, 2021
Hello, thanks for choosing CDI! We are referring to the luff extrusion requiring a 13" deduction, not the luff of your sail. This measurement takes into account the hardware of the furler so it will always be the same. You also do not require a toggle at the top of your forestay, any secure fitting should be fine. We've updated our manuals to show this, available as a PDF on our website. www.sailcdi.com
We thought that that was the case. We taped rope loops over the measuring tape every four feet and fed it up the jib and measured down to the the toggle pin on the stem. We subtracted twelve and a half inches and cut the CDI luff. We installed the furler this morning. We just kept reading the instructions and moving forward on faith. The loft is waiting on Captain Navy fabric for the UV strips. Now that it is is over it seems so easy. It is a very well thought out design. My father was a mechanical engineer. He would have been fascinated with it.

Attachments

Jun 28, 2018
Hunter 23.5 Winnipeg
Looks great and thanks for the comments. However you'll want to rotate the cup so the opening for the furling line faces aft towards the cockpit at the angle you'd like the furling line to come out. Enjoy!

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
Something to watch out for: The slot in the luff extrusion is easily damaged when hoisting the sail. You must carefully feed in the sail luff and prevent it from slipping up higher into the extrusion causing the slot to tear open wider. Hoisting the sail is a two man job with one person carefully guiding the sail luff into wide portion of the slot. Other than that it is a fine piece of equipment.

Last edited: