Catalina 27 Fuel Gage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 11, 2012
Catalina 27 Lake Erie
Hello Problem Solvers,

I have a 1978 Catalina 27 with an inoperable fuel gage. (At least I THINK it's inoperable...the tank has fuel in it...sounds full via a tap test) but the gage reads empty. I removed the top of the gage and found a small bulb that rests against what appears to be a plastic membrane. I'm usually pretty good mechanically but I can't figure out how it registers the amount of fuel.

Do I try to get this repaired or do I get a new model? Picture enclosed.

Thanks to any and all for you input.

Rex Schlagenhauf
Sandusky Harbor Marina
Lake Erie

Attachments

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Rex,

It appears that what you show in your photo is the top of the fuel sender unit and the shaft has been removed or cut off.

You can find out more about fuel senders on the West Marine website, Advisors, http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wc...10001&page=West-Advisor-Articles#.UaK4O5ymXFk

You can replace the sender.

Or you can begin to chart your fuel use. My fuel gauge has been inoperative since shortly after we bought our boat in 1998. Yikes! How could I possibly know how much fuel I had left???

I kept careful track of my fuel use, determined that my diesel M25 engine used an average of less than 1/2 gallon an hour and the math was simple.

Good luck.

Your boat, your choice.

Oct 11, 2012
Catalina 27 Lake Erie
Rex,

It appears that what you show in your photo is the top of the fuel sender unit and the shaft has been removed or cut off.

You can find out more about fuel senders on the West Marine website, Advisors, http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wc...10001&page=West-Advisor-Articles#.UaK4O5ymXFk

You can replace the sender.

Or you can begin to chart your fuel use. My fuel gauge has been inoperative since shortly after we bought our boat in 1998. Yikes! How could I possibly know how much fuel I had left???

I kept careful track of my fuel use, determined that my diesel M25 engine used an average of less than 1/2 gallon an hour and the math was simple.

Good luck.

Your boat, your choice.

Thank you Stu...I'll check out your recommendation.

Nov 22, 2011
Ericson 26-2 San Pedro, CA
It looks like you have a mechanical fuel gauge, similar to this one:

I'd suggest just removing the 5 screws and pulling it out to inspect it. Maybe there is something just gumming up the gears, or perhaps the float fell off. Worst case, you could replace it with a new one for $49.

Oct 11, 2012
Catalina 27 Lake Erie
Exact Match

It looks like you have a mechanical fuel gauge, similar to this one:

I'd suggest just removing the 5 screws and pulling it out to inspect it. Maybe there is something just gumming up the gears, or perhaps the float fell off. Worst case, you could replace it with a new one for $49.
Alan...this looks like an exact match. (Minus a little grime and a few dings). Thanks for the analysis and feed back.

Status
Not open for further replies.