Catalina 250 wheel to tiller conversion

Jun 8, 2022
Catalina 250 Port Susan
Hi,
I'm considering converting from wheel steering to a tiller (I had been considering that even before my steering system broke ;)) on my 1996 Catalina 250WB. One problem I'm anticipating is that the rudder seems to be designed to be locked in place by the steering system's tiller. Once the steering system is gone, the rudder stays in place just by the force of gravity - it's very easy to take out (together with the whole bracket and the tiller). I'm concerned that perhaps a big wave may pop it out, especially when it's in the kicked up position (which I sometimes may need to use, to be ready for low tides where it's moored currently). There is no hole to put a pin or anything like that to lock it, that I can see...

Has anyone here done such a conversion? Have you changed or modified the rudder as well, or kept it as-is?

I would have asked this as a follow-up question in the following thread:
Association Forum - Catalina 250 Wheel Steering To Tiller Conversion (catalina-capri-25s.org)
...but the association forum doesn't let me in... :-| does anyone know if that association's web site and forum are still active?

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
...but the association forum doesn't let me in... :-| does anyone know if that association's web site and forum are still active?
It's very active, you just have to register for free. Good place to go with your question.

Jun 8, 2022
Catalina 250 Port Susan
I have tried many times: cannot login, cannot reset password and cannot re-register with my email :) I think I may have hit some bug :) Perhaps anyone knows a contact to one of the admins?

Jun 8, 2022
Catalina 250 Port Susan
I can read it too but cannot ask the follow-up question about the rudder.
Thanks for help!

May 17, 2004
Other Catalina 30 Tucson, AZ
I moved from a Macgregor 22 to a Catalina 25 with tiller steering, I considered converting to wheel but didn't and in my situation I'm glad I didn't. At the time I was working on the development of the Sail Trim Chart. I really needed to experience how the boat was responding to small sail trim control changes and you can't beat the "feel" of the boat you get with the tiller. To me, it is lost with the wheel. I almost wanted to convert my C30 to tiller.