Capri 22 Construction: Polyester or Vinylester

May 25, 2020
Catalina Capri 22 Home Port
Does anyone know if these boats are laid up using polyester or vinylester? And if they're using vinylester, what date did they start using it? Is anyone putting epoxy barrier coats on their boats? Any issues with blisters?

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
The manual (in the link https://sbo.sailboatowners.com/downloads/Catalina_Capri-22_44729875.pdf) indicates:

1. Page 41 - Most fiberglass boats are manufactured of two "layers" of material, permanently bonded together by a chemical reaction. The outside surface is formed by a colored gel coat. This is a special resin material containing concentrated color. It provides a smooth, finished surface. The second "layer" is made up of polyester resin reinforced with laminations of fiberglass mat, cloth, or woven roving. Both the gel coat and polyester resin are "cured" by a chemical catalyst that causes them to form a hard, strong mass that is highly resistant to impact and damage.

2. Page 43 - The bottom may be prepared for painting using conventional dewaxing solvents, then sanding the gel coat surface or using a chemical etching type primer. The keel has been painted using epoxy primer, filler-fairing compound and finished with epoxy paint.

The threads below discuss the merits of epoxy coating and the risk of blisters and whether you need antifouling paint. My 2 cents .............. if you plan to keep the boat in the water for any extended period of time that you should epoxy coat the bottom to mitigate water intrusion into the fiberglass and blisters and apply antifouling paint to mitigate barnacles in salt water and zebra mussels in fresh water adhering to the bottom and eating through to the fiberglass and algae, which creates drag and slows the boat down.

Jul 28, 2016
I have an 1989 CP22 (Mark I) that I sail in freshwater. About 3 years ago, I had noted blisters beginning to develop, and they are getting worse. I am going to have the bottom done with an epoxy barrier coat during the coming off season. I don't know about later boats, but my guess is they were using polyester resin thru at least 1989.

May 25, 2020
Catalina Capri 22 Home Port
Good to know. I'm about 19 years behind you, but I'll probably do the same to prevent future osmosis. Thank you.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Does anyone know if these boats are laid up using polyester or vinylester? And if they're using vinylester, what date did they start using it?....................
Depends on the year it was built. The manual I provided a link to 2001 Catalina 22. Lots of discussion in the thread below on Catalina 22 poly ester and vinyl ester resin construction. If you do an internet search on "are catalina sailboats constructed with polyester or vinylester resin" you will find a lot of threads and articles on th.