Canvas winter cover

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Rich and Dave,
Do you install and remove your covers or do you let the yard do it? I had a Fairclough cover on my C30 for ten years. I loved it but it weighed a ton. I remove my mast and it was in one piece and I installed and removed it every season. (boat is stored at home). I want to get one for my current boat but it's quite a big jump in size and the thought of lifting it over my head to lay it out scares me.
Where I live, I am the yard. Very limited services, so I install and remove the cover each year. There are a few tricks, like putting the cover on the boat before it is hauled, just be certain to keep it dry. If the canvas gets even a little damp it won't quite fit.

When I ordered the cover for my 36' boat the cover was in one piece and too heavy to lift. The first year, I rolled into a snake and then pulled up like a rope. In the spring I took it to a local canvas shop and he cut the cover and installed a zipper. It was much easier to lift and move.

My one complaint about Fairclough is didn't really explain the options and suggest a split cover. It would have been helpful had they mentioned the weight. I had assumed the cover would come into 2 pieces. Well, you know what they say about assuming....

Nonetheless, I don't regret the decision.

Bob S

Sep 27, 2007
Beneteau 393 New Bedford, MA
My body is getting old but my mind still thinks it's young! (until I look in the mirror.) :yikes: I can see a new Fairclough in my future. Thanks!

Jan 11, 2014
My body is getting old but my mind still thinks it's young! (until I look in the mirror.) :yikes: I can see a new Fairclough in my future. Thanks!
Watch their website, they usually offer a discount in April/May for a August/September delivery. It also ships motor freight.

Bob S

Sep 27, 2007
Beneteau 393 New Bedford, MA
They actually came to my last boat and installed it the first time. I was very impressed with their service.

Jan 11, 2014
They actually came to my last boat and installed it the first time. I was very impressed with their service.
If my boat was in Fairhaven, MA and not Fair Haven, NY I'm sure they would have delivered and installed it too. :)

Just heard there's a blizzard warning for eastern LI and I assume your neck of the woods. Stay safe. It is much easier to stay because of a storm than because of a virus. We did that Monday.

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
The framework for my Fairclough cover is made from 1" metal electrical conduit. Couplings connect the pieces together. If I were going to make a frame, I would use the metal conduit and not wood.

2000_1029_125658AA.jpg

MitchM

Jan 20, 2005
Nauticat 321 pilothouse 32 Erie PA
30" sloop '95 stored mast up on stand. made a winter cover in 2. rectangular pieces of orange 'boattop' fabric joining at mast with 'mast collar which tied on. made a galvanized electric conduit w/ bolts connecting the support frame. cover's edges hung down past waterline and completely covered bow pulpit, cockpit, and transom. many 1 gallon milk jugs filled w free sand and a system of ties shoelaced through the edge of the cover's grommets under the keel kept the cover in place. the long transom overhang had a 'door' to enter under the cover and also corner grommets so it could be 'staked out' like a tarp to provide a sheltered tent like work area. in '95 it took me $300 of BoatTop fabric, a grommet setter tool and brass grommets, and a sailrite ultrafeed sewing machine. when we sold that boat in 05 to buy our 33' nauticat, that old boat top cover was still in great shape (and i still have the ultrafeed.). the nc321 needed a 2 piece custom cover , $2000 from al's awning in erie pa. it was magnificent but a lot harder to fit and rig. over the years we've saved a lot of plastic wastage by having permanent removable boat covers mid october to mid may. covering 'early' keeps the tannin from falling leaves from staining our decks. get long overhangs on your cover a and get grommets so you can stake out the cover like a tarp to alllow you to work on stuff under the boat in rainy weather.

fair winds calm seas and the end of social distancing by memorial day to us all...

Feb 21, 2008
Hunter 33 Metedeconk River
My previously owned Hunter 290 (See Avatar) came with a Fairclough cover which worked fine....well made and good quality. When the boat was replaced with a Hunter 33 I still had the cover. After a bunch of measurements I thought that I could remake the cover to fit. I stopped at the Fairclough booth at Annapolis boat show and spoke with their rep about what materials, type of thread, helpful hints, and he was very helpful and forthcoming with suggestions. The existing cover had 3 sections. I bought the Sunforger fabric, zippers and some vinyl and added a 5 foot section just before the last one. Slightly moved the cutouts for the stays and some minor adjustments for fit. Added an additional support for the ridge frame made from same size electrical conduit and lengthened some of the frame legs similarly with straight connectors. Has worked great for the last 6 winters with only the need for some minor repair stitching along existing seams as the cover has been thru 16 Jersey winters. I highly recommend Fairclough covers as well as the company.

Sep 25, 2018
Catalina Capri 22 Capri EXPO 14.2 1282 Stony Point
I have a canvas cover on my Capri Expo 14.2 in Florida. Mostly stays on a boat lift except for a few weeks when I stay in Florida. No problems with mildew. It fits loose enough to allow air to circulate. Keep the cubby open to air the cavity . Been doing this since 2015.

In NJ, I cover my Capri 22 with a Sailor Tailor cover that fits like a glove. Handles the rain and snow well keeping the topside clean and dry. Very well made from custom measurements I made on a form provided. A family company that was very responsive when needed. Didn't need much help. Only problem was the weight of the cover and my 73 YO strength or lack thereof.

Jul 19, 2013
Pearson 31-2 Boston
Three years ago I bought a deck tent cover from ShipShape Canvas in Duluth for $2,000. I have found it to be a wonderful piece of gear, using a very durable fabric, you can see in the photo have well it fits. After three years the cover is still like new, and has paid for itself versus shrinkwrap. It takes about three hours to install and remove, using the boom and whiskerpole for framing.

Attachments

Apr 28, 2005
Oday 302 Lake Perry, KS
Second vote for ShipShape. Used it through 3 harsh, windy, snowy Kansas winters and it has held up extremely well. Two pieces zippered together. Get the door with a zipper! Two of us can put it in place in about 2 and a half hours. Hanging the sandbags (a must to keep it taut) takes another 15-30 minutes. Uses the boom and we have PVC pipe that we use for the framing from the mast to the bow. Takes about 45 minutes to take it off after the sandbags are removed. Very little wear after three years. Good ventilation.

The guy who runs ShipShape was very easy to work with - they already had a pattern for our O'Day - but still sent measurements. The cover fits perfectly.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
I should think it would be a very bad idea in Florida unless you want to remove it every time a storm threatens. All that extra windage, until the storm destroys it, would cause more damage that it prevented. When hurricanes threatened us in the SoPac, we would even dismount the booms and lay them in the scuppers to lessen the windage.
Up north is not an area I have a lot of experience in, but I assume it must be tight enough at all times so that snow could never pile up on it.

Jan 11, 2014
For those who wonder why lightweight tarps are a bad idea, here's a good example from my marina. Notice how it is wrapped around the prop on a neighboring boat and if you can see clearly it is wrapped around the forward jack stand.

IMG_2136.jpeg

May 10, 2008
Catalina 355 Boston
Bob,

I store with my mast in, although the cover is designed for mast out as well. And it can be installed in the water or on the hard. I have done it all ways.
I have a wonderful friend who has helped me every fall and spring to install and remove the cover for the last 22 years. For my h40.5 the cover is in two pieces- one from the mast forward and the other from the mast to stern. They zipper together. It takes the two of us a full day to install- framework, wood strips, and cover pieces. Removal takes about 1/2 day.
If I was getting a new cover, I would have the aft piece (from the mast to the stern) made into two pieces that zipper together. Me at 73 yo and my friend at 71, the aft piece is right at our limit of handling.
Rich,
I also have a Fairclough that I bought in 2011 when I bought my current boat. After the first season I took it back to FC and they cut it into 3 pieces from the original 2. Makes a huge difference. My wife and I install/remove it every year and makes for much less back pain!
For those considering canvas in the South, FC specifically warns not to leave the cover on in the northern summer because they will deteriorate quickly. A friend of mine had an extended work assignment overseas and left his cover on thinking the breath ability would be better than shrink wrap...the thing turned into wet paper in one summer...

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
Rich,
I also have a Fairclough that I bought in 2011 when I bought my current boat. After the first season I took it back to FC and they cut it into 3 pieces from the original 2. Makes a huge difference. My wife and I install/remove it every year and makes for much less back pain!
For those considering canvas in the South, FC specifically warns not to leave the cover on in the northern summer because they will deteriorate quickly. A friend of mine had an extended work assignment overseas and left his cover on thinking the breath ability would be better than shrink wrap...the thing turned into wet paper in one summer...
Thanks for the heads up about summer use in a northern summer. I would not have guessed that result.

Regarding the 3 piece cover, I have thought about cutting it and adding zippers to make the large aft piece into two pieces. I may do that his summer. This is something I can easily do with the SailRite sewing machine.

Jul 19, 2013
Pearson 31-2 Boston
Just a reminder for anyone who may need to know, if your boat has been painted, you do not want the cover to come down over the topsides...

Feb 21, 2008
Hunter 33 Metedeconk River
[QUOTE="Rich Stidger, post:
Regarding the 3 piece cover, I have thought about cutting it and adding zippers to make the large aft piece into two pieces. I may do that his summer. This is something I can easily do with the SailRite sewing machine.
[/QUOTE]

Some hints: Use the YKK (104934) #10 Zippers that are sold at Sailrite (Double Pull)
Get some of the Sunforger (Pearl Grey) material as seams will use up some of the cover length.
Be prepared to add a few new grommets for tie-down.

All in all, not a big job.

Jan 11, 2014
[QUOTE="Rich Stidger, post:
Some hints: Use the YKK (104934) #10 Zippers that are sold at Sailrite (Double Pull)
Get some of the Sunforger (Pearl Grey) material as seams will use up some of the cover length.
Be prepared to add a few new grommets for tie-down.

All in all, not a big job.
[/QUOTE]

When the canvas guy added the zipper it was not necessary to add fabric, however, he did add a vinyl cover over the zipper to protect the zipper from sun and to prevent water from working its way through the zipper. He was hesitant to use a zipper (YKK) until he talked to the YKK sales rep who said the zipper can resist 200 lbs of force for every 12 inches. The zipper has held up well over the winter.

• Helpful
May 10, 2008
Catalina 355 Boston
Thanks for the heads up about summer use in a northern summer. I would not have guessed that result.

Rich,
if you have the equipment an ability your back will thank you! I have a friend who has a canvas business and he replaced the Bow and stern grommets with zippers, so instead of using zip ties or lacing this was an awesome upgrade!

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
Rich,
if you have the equipment an ability your back will thank you! I have a friend who has a canvas business and he replaced the Bow and stern grommets with zippers, so instead of using zip ties or lacing this was an awesome upgrade!
That is an interesting idea that I had not considered. Lacing up the bow is a real PITA. It is very difficult because first youare working from inside the cover at the bow, and then outside on a high ladder. Having the anchor roller and anchor itself in place makes for a very difficult lacing job. Adding extra cover material and a zipper to close would be a big help. Thanks for the idea!