Canvas winter cover

Dec 27, 2012
Precision Precision 28 St Augustine
So I’ve been contemplating for a while about having a winter canvas cover made. I live in NJ so my boat is winter stored for 6 months. Probably longer this year due to the virus. My goal is to move to NE Florida or SE Georgia within the next 3 years. Do people use winter covers in that area? I’m thinking the boat would be on the hard through hurricane season.

The canvas cover I’m thinking of is a boom tent style that extends approximately 10 inches below the toe rail.

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
I bought a Fairclough cover the first year I bought my boat. I have used it for the last 22 winters. I have replaced/added zippers to accommodate wind generator and radar poles and have done re-stitching as required. The framework is in like-new condition.
It is on from October to April- about 6 1/2 months each year. I think it has been very beneficial in preventing sun and UV damage to the gel-coat.
This cover extends to the waterline and I can work inside warmly on late fall and early spring days. For your location in NJ I would think a cover would be a benefit. I don't know if covers are used in the south, but we are considering a move to SC and one of the advantages I was anticipating was not having to install and remove the cover each year. On the other hand if you boat is going to be on the hard in the south, and given that the potential for sun damage is greater, I would think that a cover would be good down there too.

Now that I have not really answered your questions I will let someone else give it a shot.

2019_1016_131244.JPG

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
How do you cover your boat now? If you shrink wrap it, the pay back time for a canvass cover is pretty short, on the order of 3-5 years.

I also have a Fairclough Cover. Its the best for up north. Covering the boat down south would certainly slow the effects of UV on the boat while out of the water, however, it would need to be removed before a hurricane as it adds too much windage. I don't have direct experience, however I've heard that humidity and its attendant problems (mold and mildew) are an issue. Whatever you do ventilation is important.

Dec 27, 2012
I currently dont cover my boat during off-season. I didnt think about removal for hurricanes.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Many people leave their boat in year round and only take it out to bottom paint. It is not uncommon for there to be a perfect day for sailing in the middle of January. I went sailing twice in December, once in January, three times in February.. actually my avatar was taken in February... (now I'm just rubbing it in ... sorry).

Georgia has a lower hurricane landfall rate than does north Carolina ... and if you get down far enough you get into the 12-18 year interval region. What I have heard of people doing is paying a premium to be at the top of a haul out list if landfall is foretasted for you area.

1584991100817.png

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
Check out North Shore Canvas.... I had a cover made for mast up storage and it fits like a glove with no frame.... 3 piece. Guy travels to take measurements... I'm on year 3 so it paid itself off..... And no polluting shrink wrap.

Good Luck!

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Driving around here in FL I don't see canvas boat covers. I don't see much shrink wrap.

Dec 27, 2012
Thanks for all the responses. I did get a quote from North Shore. If I pull the trigger I will go through them.

Jan 11, 2014
The one cover worth investing in for Florida and points south would be sunbrella hatch covers. UV is murder on Acrylic hatches. The covers will protect the hatch and keep the interior of the boat cooler. They are also easier to take off and store during a hurricane.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
A popular cover maker in our marina is Lippincott Marine Canvas from Delran.
I had them make a cover for my O'day 25 a couple years back. They made it from standard dimensions and called me when it was installed.
In the spring I took photos of the cover, noted some wear spots and improvements I wanted. I dropped the cover off at their loft and picked up in the fall. All revisions at no cost.
I liked their work. Frameless, three part cover. My choice how far down the topsides it went. Around $1600 of if I remember correctly.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I bought one from “The Canvas Store” several years ago. It has help up pretty well, but I will need to stitch a collar for the topping lift, and patch a small hole where the traveller rubbed (my fault).
I did have to have them remake (or modify) one section where they did the stantion collars wrong. But they fixed it.

525AE42B-F00A-4C66-9D69-D7B63808A951.jpeg
I should have had the edge extend down over the toe rail a bit farther, but I am pretty happy with it. It is nice to know that the snow, freezing rain, ice, UV, and other foes are not attacking the deck all winter.

I am in the Chicago area, so under cover about 6 months for me too :(

Greg

Jan 7, 2014
Beneteau 45F5 51551 Port Jefferson
I would not recommend the Canvas store, the owner is absolutely nuts and abusive to his customers and staff..

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
I had a custom canvas cover, Well worth the cost and lasted through 12 Michigan winters. I have resorted to shrink wrap reluctantly because there is not a canvas shop nearby with the expertise (or perhaps the desire) to make a sailboat cover. The shops that know how and have a good reputation want you to bring the boat to them, and thats at least a day’s sail. I understand their reasoning, but its inconvenient for me especially with a prohibitively short sailing season.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
I have never seen a boat covered on the Gulf Coast. Some liveaboards will suspend a light colored awning, in summer months, to keep the sun off the deck to make conditions more tolerable in the cabin and to take a bit of strain off the air conditioner. DL’s advice on covering the hatches is spot on.
Would definitely have a cover in the North.

Jan 11, 2014
I had a custom canvas cover, Well worth the cost and lasted through 12 Michigan winters. I have resorted to shrink wrap reluctantly because there is not a canvas shop nearby with the expertise (or perhaps the desire) to make a sailboat cover. The shops that know how and have a good reputation want you to bring the boat to them, and thats at least a day’s sail. I understand their reasoning, but its inconvenient for me especially with a prohibitively short sailing season.
Check with Fairclough, they have patterns for many popular boats. I"ve had 2 covers made by them, both fit perfectly from their patterns. They typically have a sale in April or May which makes the covers only slightly unaffordable.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Canvas is not your best idea for a cover. Others here would make better suggestions, and lighter weight.

Jan 11, 2014
Canvas is not your best idea for a cover. Others here would make better suggestions, and lighter weight.
At least where we are, on the south shore of Lake Ontario and fairly unprotected against wind, heavier covers are more suitable because they are less susceptible to the wind lifting them and blowing them off. Light weight blue tarps and similar seldom last past Christmas.

Bob S

Sep 27, 2007
Beneteau 393 New Bedford, MA
Rich and Dave,
Do you install and remove your covers or do you let the yard do it? I had a Fairclough cover on my C30 for ten years. I loved it but it weighed a ton. I remove my mast and it was in one piece and I installed and removed it every season. (boat is stored at home). I want to get one for my current boat but it's quite a big jump in size and the thought of lifting it over my head to lay it out scares me.

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
Bob,

I store with my mast in, although the cover is designed for mast out as well. And it can be installed in the water or on the hard. I have done it all ways.
I have a wonderful friend who has helped me every fall and spring to install and remove the cover for the last 22 years. For my h40.5 the cover is in two pieces- one from the mast forward and the other from the mast to stern. They zipper together. It takes the two of us a full day to install- framework, wood strips, and cover pieces. Removal takes about 1/2 day.
If I was getting a new cover, I would have the aft piece (from the mast to the stern) made into two pieces that zipper together. Me at 73 yo and my friend at 71, the aft piece is right at our limit of handling.

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
I have a like new canvas cover. Because I unstep and bring my boat home, I am unable to use it since it relies on the mast, boom and whisker pole. So, it's shrink wrapping for me... I've contemplated replicating the mast with wood, but the best way is to acquire the bottom 12' of a damaged C-34 mast. Passively looking....