Canvas winter cover

May 10, 2008
Catalina 355 Boston
That is an interesting idea that I had not considered. Lacing up the bow is a real PITA. It is very difficult because first youare working from inside the cover at the bow, and then outside on a high ladder. Having the anchor roller and anchor itself in place makes for a very difficult lacing job. Adding extra cover material and a zipper to close would be a big help. Thanks for the idea!
Rich,
I will post some photos this weekend and if you are interested in specifics feel free to PM me. With any luck we will remove the cover early next week weather permitting...

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Mine is in 3 pieces (and those are big enough)... can’t imagine trying to the whole thing up i one piece.

Mine has a bow section that goes about up to the mast. Then a middle section that goes from the mast to about the middle of the boom (front end of cockpit), and the 3rd piece carrys out to the stern.

Mine has zippers, but you might also be able to join the sections with laces.

I have gotten better at installing it than this video shows :cool:.

Greg

Feb 21, 2008
Hunter 33 Metedeconk River
Greg, just wondering what prevents snow from accumulating on the cover if it has no under supports? This year in NJ has been snow free but in past years I see boats in the yard with snow piled up between the boom and the sides.

Also, on the tie downs under the hull, to prevent chaffing that I did have one year, I run the lines thru toy swimming pool noodles.
Seems to help and gives a festive look during the winter. Get them at the Five Below store for around a buck in the summer.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
The only place I really get snow build up is at the back of the cockpit.

i think I need to raise the back of the boom some, to tighten the cover where it goes down over the stern. It sags there. Could be the cover isn’t cut right, but I think I can take some of the sag put with the topping lift or a boom crutch.

i was going to put some blocking under that area this winter, but never did it.

It certainly could hold some snow, but it is pretty steep, and the material is slippery. It does not go over the stanchions and lifelines, so even if it does hold some snow, it isn’t going to damage anything.

I have tried a few ways to tie it down....last year I tried tying it to the toe rail(I have an aluminum slotted toe rail). I was trying to keep the rope off the hull. It did not work well....

This year, I used new cord, and it didn’t get the hull nearly as dirty...in previous years,i reused the old cord.

The noodles sound like a good idea. I was tring to find some standoffs used for shrink wrapping, but they were cost prohibitive.

May 10, 2008
Catalina 355 Boston
Rich,
I will post some photos this weekend and if you are interested in specifics feel free to PM me. With any luck we will remove the cover early next week weather permitting...
Rich,
I took some photos of the zippers before removing...
Rich,
I took some photos of the fore and aft zippers where the lacing is on a standard Fairclough. Makes getting in the boat during the winter much easier than using the side door

Attachments

Feb 21, 2008
Hunter 33 Metedeconk River
Solstice, thanks for the pictures. Simple, elegant and why didn't I think of it?? In the winter, I usually board thru the rear with a step ladder and letting down the rear boarding ladder. It has always been a PIA to untie and relace thru the grommets. Can't wait to add this improvement.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
And more zipper photos. These are details of the zipper install. This splits the cover in half. The Velcro is a belt and suspenders approach.

IMG_2184.jpeg
IMG_2185.jpeg

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
Rich,
I took some photos of the zippers before removing...

I took some photos of the fore and aft zippers where the lacing is on a standard Fairclough. Makes getting in the boat during the winter much easier than using the side door
Very nice. How does the bow end zipper around the anchor roller? Do you have a wider view that shows that detail?

Apr 11, 2010
Hunter 38 Whitehall MI
I had a new one made last fall. The previous one bit the dust after 10 years.
It is made in 3 sections using zippers to connect the sections. Zippers also to fit around the shrouds. Uses the boom as the ridge pole behind the mast and a 2x6 with a support in front of the boom.

The best part is that the company that make them also provides a service and in the fall they put the cover on for me. In the spring they take it off, inspect and repair if needed, then store it for the summer. Since I sold the house and moved to a condo it sure is great that I don’t have to deal with storing it.

Attachments

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
Curious if it reduces air circulation
Myn canvas cover is actually "duck canvas". It is not a heavy canvas that nothing can permeate. It lets a lot of light thru and breathes reasonabley well. I have a few vents as well. But in the later Spring and early Fall you can work inside with a lot of warmth if the sun is shining. And since mine (for the moment) is laced at the bow and stern, air can circulate through those laced openings.

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
Rich,
<snip>
For those considering canvas in the South, FC specifically warns not to leave the cover on in the northern summer because they will deteriorate quickly. A friend of mine had an extended work assignment overseas and left his cover on thinking the breath ability would be better than shrink wrap...the thing turned into wet paper in one summer...
Just for confirmation - I called Fairclough today and they confirmed that one northern summer will age the cover about 5 years. They recommended removing the cover but leaving the frame intact. They also said to re-tape all of the wood strips and framework before re-installing the cover. The tape will dry out from exposure to the summer sun.
So when I am able to get into my RI marina I will do exactly that. While I have the cover off and home I will split the large aft section into two pieces and add zippers for the ease of re-installation. I may even add material and zippers to the bow and stern lacing areas to make those tasks easier too. Thanks again for the heads-up on this issue. I never would have guessed or known.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Rich, talk to your marina owner he may let you in to remove the cover. Our marina is closed, however, for essential maintenance we are allowed to go to the marina to work on our boats if we call ahead and schedule the time and swear on a stack of COLREGS that we won't break any Marina C-19 Protection Rules.

When I talked to the owner and told him I wanted to access my boat to repair a leaking fuel line and to remove the cover and reinstall the hatches I removed, he said that kind of work was acceptable.

May 10, 2008
Catalina 355 Boston
Very nice. How does the bow end zipper around the anchor roller? Do you have a wider view that shows that detail?
Rich,
sorry for the late reply as I haven’t been on the forum for a couple weeks as I was able to launch the boat and now have a place to go for diversion.
For the bow, there is a zipper from the forestay to the top of the anchor roller and another from the bottom of the anchor to the water line. Just replace the openings where the original grommets were.
This definitely doesn’t impact breathability but certainly keeps wind driven water out much better.
I’ll look to see if I have a wide angle shot for you...

May 10, 2008
Catalina 355 Boston
Rich,
sorry for the late reply as I haven’t been on the forum for a couple weeks as I was able to launch the boat and now have a place to go for diversion.
For the bow, there is a zipper from the forestay to the top of the anchor roller and another from the bottom of the anchor to the water line. Just replace the openings where the original grommets were.
This definitely doesn’t impact breathability but certainly keeps wind driven water out much better.
I’ll look to see if I have a wide angle shot for you...
Here is another pic of the bow setup. I have a couple more but having trouble downloading at the moment..
14515413-0BC7-4150-B456-5F74563C7F11.jpeg

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
Here is another pic of the bow setup. I have a couple more but having trouble downloading at the moment..
Very nice. I originally thought that the entire anchor would be enclosed. Your setup is much easier and allows for breathing.

Apr 11, 2010
Hunter 38 Whitehall MI
Very nice. I originally thought that the entire anchor would be enclosed. Your setup is much easier and allows for breathing.
The guy that makes them here in our area has the cover come down inside the bow pulpit and the stanchions. Makes the angle of drop steeper so that the snow doesn’t build up and put pressure on the stanchions. The anchor is outside the cover as well.

Earlier comment on summer Sun accelerating the aging of the cover is what I’ve been told too. Covers should last around 12 years or so. The beating sun will very much shorten that.

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
My cover has 22 winters on it. With some maintenance of course. One summer would kill it.